GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear toe adjustment

CWIs_GTI

Car(s)
GTI, X5, X5d, M3
So I bought a 2018 GTI that I knew had been banged up. There were a couple small dents and tire wear indicated some damage to the control arms. I got it pretty cheaply so i don’t care to fix it. Got new tires and took it to get it aligned and the tech said he’s done as much as he can to get it to spec, but it needs basically another full degree of adjustment for camber and toe on the rear passenger side to get it in the green. He recommended asking in a forum, since you guys would have more ideas than him but he recommended a set of adjustable upper control arms and a bolt/busing kit for the lower control arms.

Any ideas on the parts I may need?

thanks
5A2A60D8-BCDA-400E-A1E6-00A7C42A6677.jpeg

Attachments

• 424D3056-6488-41E2-8DBB-B6CE0C1CAA48.jpeg
    424D3056-6488-41E2-8DBB-B6CE0C1CAA48.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 109

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
symmetry for rear alignment is important.

is there damage to the control arms yes or no? if yes, used replacements will cost you less in the long run, compared to tires.

you could live with -2 camber both sides and zero.toe.both sides.

good luck, hope it works out

CWIs_GTI

Car(s)
GTI, X5, X5d, M3
symmetry for rear alignment is important.

is there damage to the control arms yes or no? if yes, used replacements will cost you less in the long run, compared to tires.

you could live with -2 camber both sides and zero.toe.both sides.

good luck, hope it works out
He said he doesn’t see physical damage to the components. He can’t get the rear passenger side any better than -2.4 camber -1.66 toe so I need a degree more on each. I know I can get adjustable uppers to remedy the camber. Kind of looking for a solution for the toe. If it has to be a new arm, that’s fine. But it doesn’t look like it’s tweaked. Wouldn’t take much to be a degree off though I guess.

CWIs_GTI

Car(s)
GTI, X5, X5d, M3
What does banged up mean? That it had been in an accident? Has it been hit in the rear?
The rear passenger quarter (the one that’s out of alignment) had a small dent with a crack in the bumper cover. There were some scuffs on the wheel too so I’m assuming it was “love tapped” by another car back there because there’s no damage to the paint like a guard rail or something would leave. It still drives perfectly fine, just wears the tires faster on the inside on the rear because if the scrubbing from the toe.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
It won't help the tec if the toe is that far off too. Maybe go back and have the tech pull on both adjusters at the same time.

Otherwise, get new upper control arms, or borrow an arm from a buddy and compare the shape to see if its bent.

2LEEGIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MK7
Yeah that’s too much toe. You could take some quick measurements comparing side to side components to see if anything is bent, cost you nothing but time.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Camber will wear your tires, toe not so much. The car must be dog tracking all over with that shit thrust angle. So there is either a bent/damaged component(s), a shifted subframe or combo of both.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Toe will absolutely wear your tires, much faster than camber typically will.
Yup… toe speeds up wear and its “scrubbing” the surface it’s on. camber does not “speed” it up, it’s causes uneven wear. Now camber with toe it was eats the shit out of the inner tires like crazy.