GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rattling rear suspension....again!

MarcA

Ready to race!
Had the car for about a month now.after a couple of weeks the noise started rear left.i guess they must grease/oil the area causing the noise when handing the car to a new customer because I did not hear it for the first two weeks.annoying noise but livable at the moment with music playing. but after reading the stories especially from fuelboss I was wondering if anyone just went to their local garage/Halfords/kwikfit and ordered and got them to replace the rear shocks from say europarts or the manufacturers that the fast fit places use.i assume europarts etc do not use the oem vw shocks?.or do they?.so I was wondering if they worked instead of ordering bilsteins.
The originals are sachs so I guess as long as it's not that brand then yes. But bilstein are a long standing quality manufacturer of oem replacement parts as well as upgraded and track use suspension parts with a good reputation

MarcA

Ready to race!
Ps I haven't got anywhere with getting money out of VW yet for this. Currently talking to their Facebook and marketing dept after posting on one of their advert links..will keep this thread updated in case it helps anyone else in the same position.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Ps I haven't got anywhere with getting money out of VW yet for this. Currently talking to their Facebook and marketing dept after posting on one of their advert links..will keep this thread updated in case it helps anyone else in the same position.

As you may have read on my website www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk the dealer is Bath Volkswagen 01225 428000. If you have have a dealer that will not pay for replacement shocks then tell the Service Manager to call the Bath Service Manager as Bath VW gave me £300 to cover the cost of the Bilsteins and the fitting. If they can do it so can your dealer. Mention the name of Brian Kattenberg at the so-called executive office who could not have cared less about my issue or indeed that of many others.

I would have loved the opportunity to meet face to face with these brainwashed VW people who will defend their position to the bitter end and who believe the problem is in our imagination. They know there is or was an issue but did not have the balls to own up to the fact. I even offered the old Sachs shocks to them so they could examine but they were not interested. They just tell people its a "characteristic of the model". My ass it is, its a bloody fault with the parts, nothing more nothing less.

After driving almost 1000 miles across Spain and Portugal the past few weeks I can tell anyone that the Bilstein B4's that I have fitted are just perfect for me and are as quiet now as they were when fitted a little over 1-year ago. I have received hundreds of emails relating to this issue from all over the planet. Thousands have seen my website and the YouTube videos so clearly there is or was an issue. I may as well tell you that my name is Richard Coombe and if anyone wants to mention my name to VW head office or to their dealer then they are free to do so.

Apart from the dealer I will publicly say that VW you are a shower of shit in my book. You told lies, fabricated stories, inconvenienced me, cost me a lot of money, heartache and time. VW you have had your heads up your backsides for so long over this shock absorber issue that I hope you have all suffocated by now. Unfortunately that is wishful thinking on my part and no doubt you are still fobbing off people with the same old story each time someone complains about the suspension rattle. Giving people false hope by changing parts that last a few miles and then rattle again. From the emails I receive it is clear that many VW dealers are clueless about how to resolve the problem. I suggest that any VW dealer that has a customer complaining of a rear shock absorber rattle that they see my website or email me and I will resolve their problem within two minutes. Forget changing this and that, greasing this and that just throw the Sachs's parts in the bin and fit Bilsteins. Its no more difficult than that.

Well that's my rant for the day and I hope VW reads this.

MarcA

Ready to race!
As you may have read on my website www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk the dealer is Bath Volkswagen 01225 428000. If you have have a dealer that will not pay for replacement shocks then tell the Service Manager to call the Bath Service Manager as Bath VW gave me £300 to cover the cost of the Bilsteins and the fitting. If they can do it so can your dealer. Mention the name of Brian Kattenberg at the so-called executive office who could not have cared less about my issue or indeed that of many others.

I would have loved the opportunity to meet face to face with these brainwashed VW people who will defend their position to the bitter end and who believe the problem is in our imagination. They know there is or was an issue but did not have the balls to own up to the fact. I even offered the old Sachs shocks to them so they could examine but they were not interested. They just tell people its a "characteristic of the model". My ass it is, its a bloody fault with the parts, nothing more nothing less.

After driving almost 1000 miles across Spain and Portugal the past few weeks I can tell anyone that the Bilstein B4's that I have fitted are just perfect for me and are as quiet now as they were when fitted a little over 1-year ago. I have received hundreds of emails relating to this issue from all over the planet. Thousands have seen my website and the YouTube videos so clearly there is or was an issue. I may as well tell you that my name is Richard Coombe and if anyone wants to mention my name to VW head office or to their dealer then they are free to do so.

Apart from the dealer I will publicly say that VW you are a shower of shit in my book. You told lies, fabricated stories, inconvenienced me, cost me a lot of money, heartache and time. VW you have had your heads up your backsides for so long over this shock absorber issue that I hope you have all suffocated by now. Unfortunately that is wishful thinking on my part and no doubt you are still fobbing off people with the same old story each time someone complains about the suspension rattle. Giving people false hope by changing parts that last a few miles and then rattle again. From the emails I receive it is clear that many VW dealers are clueless about how to resolve the problem. I suggest that any VW dealer that has a customer complaining of a rear shock absorber rattle that they see my website or email me and I will resolve their problem within two minutes. Forget changing this and that, greasing this and that just throw the Sachs's parts in the bin and fit Bilsteins. Its no more difficult than that.

Well that's my rant for the day and I hope VW reads this.

"Like" if there was a button..

silverhead

I have a feeling that the rear shock absorbers as fitted to my GTI are exactly the same as fitted to many within the range. The only difference is that VW have no doubt given different part numbers according to the model. If you have the rear shock absorber noise then fit the Bilsteins and that will be end of story.[/Q

fuelboss you fitted bilstein b4's on the rear.can you fit them on the front as well?.if not why not.i remember you saying something along the lines of if wanting to fit front as well they would have to be b6's.can you please confirm that you can fit b4's on front and back.same question for b6's.and what is the difference between the two shocks.i have a 1.4 tsi se.cheers john

MarcA

Ready to race!
I have a feeling that the rear shock absorbers as fitted to my GTI are exactly the same as fitted to many within the range. The only difference is that VW have no doubt given different part numbers according to the model. If you have the rear shock absorber noise then fit the Bilsteins and that will be end of story.[/Q

fuelboss you fitted bilstein b4's on the rear.can you fit them on the front as well?.if not why not.i remember you saying something along the lines of if wanting to fit front as well they would have to be b6's.can you please confirm that you can fit b4's on front and back.same question for b6's.and what is the difference between the two shocks.i have a 1.4 tsi se.cheers john

They do sell b4 for front .. I understand on the early days there was a difference on cars some 50 some 55mm but you can get all now I'm told.. unless it's something else on the gti..

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
The only cars likely with golf GTi part number rear shocks are the the FWD multi link rear suspension models GTD, GTi, Clubsport (GT variant although on multi link has different number). I just checked a random 1.6 TDI and it comes with crossbeam rear suspension and this also different shock number, so think its only the GTi GTD and CS that are the same

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
From my experience and from all of the emails I have received the shock absorber issue is only on multi link rear suspension. Irrespective of whether its a GTI, GTD etc the shocks are made by Sachs and therefore there is a high probability of noisy shocks on any model with multi link rear suspension as the shock absorber is probably identical in construction but with different valving.

silverhead

Bilstein b4

i have spent the evening trying to find these shocks for my car.1.4 tsi se 122bhp.if they are the remedy as fuelboss states i will bite the bullet and buy them rather than faffing about with the dealer. but neither the bilstein nor europarts web sites when i input my reg/model say that they stock these shocks for my car.in fact they show no alternative shocks available to fit my car at all.just to be clear can these bilstein b4 shocks only be used on gti.gt,r models or can they in fact be used on standard models with multi link.if they can in fact fit my car why does the bilstein/europarts sites not state the same?.sorry for all the questions but i do not want to order these shocks off the web and find they do not fit.thanks john

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
i have spent the evening trying to find these shocks for my car.1.4 tsi se 122bhp.if they are the remedy as fuelboss states i will bite the bullet and buy them rather than faffing about with the dealer. but neither the bilstein nor europarts web sites when i input my reg/model say that they stock these shocks for my car.in fact they show no alternative shocks available to fit my car at all.just to be clear can these bilstein b4 shocks only be used on gti.gt,r models or can they in fact be used on standard models with multi link.if they can in fact fit my car why does the bilstein/europarts sites not state the same?.sorry for all the questions but i do not want to order these shocks off the web and find they do not fit.thanks john

Give Demon Tweeks a call and have them get in touch with Bilstein in Germany.

Customer Service Enquiries

Customer Services: Tel: +44 (0)1978 663 000 Fax: +44 (0)870 600 5779

Email: customerservices@demon-tweeks.co.uk

Yes they are the remedy if your shocks rattle. Have you seen the videos on my website? http://www.vwgolfmk7problems.uk/ See the videos where I thump the VW shocks and if they rattle as mine did or if there appears to be lateral movement on the piston rod then that is probably why you have a problem. I honestly believe there is very little if any difference between a shock absorber fitted to a GTI and those fitted on your car.

silverhead

E mailed bilstein germany.waiting for a reply.e mailed demon tweeks received a reply to phone them to confirm that they will fit my car.will do that tomorow.popped into a kwik fit and they had to phone their supplier as it was showing special order on the screen for rear shocks for my car.their supplier came back with the bilstein b4's.£75 each with next day delivery plus fitting.fuelboss i assume you fitted the b4's front and back with your price of £300?.is it fine just to fit the rears only thereby having two different makes of shocks on the car.also is it just the shocks i need to order.no springs or other bits.its strange that this noise does not seem to affect the front shocks.are front and back different in anyway?.once you hear this noise you keep on listening for it whenever you drive!.cheers john

MarcA

Ready to race!
E mailed bilstein germany.waiting for a reply.e mailed demon tweeks received a reply to phone them to confirm that they will fit my car.will do that tomorow.popped into a kwik fit and they had to phone their supplier as it was showing special order on the screen for rear shocks for my car.their supplier came back with the bilstein b4's.£75 each with next day delivery plus fitting.fuelboss i assume you fitted the b4's front and back with your price of £300?.is it fine just to fit the rears only thereby having two different makes of shocks on the car.also is it just the shocks i need to order.no springs or other bits.its strange that this noise does not seem to affect the front shocks.are front and back different in anyway?.once you hear this noise you keep on listening for it whenever you drive!.cheers john
That will be expensive vat. They are around 100 each delivered. I got a quote 35 each side for fitting so near 300 for the rear only.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG

Have you checked the Demon Tweeks prices as I think they may be lower. I only fitted the rears in August 2015 and paid £147.42 inc vat & delivery. No need to change fronts unless you want to. Different makes front and rear will make no difference at all to the handling.

You do not require any other parts at all. The £300 I was given by Bath VW covered just the purchase of the parts and fitting was I believe about £100

The fronts may well have the same movement on the piston rod but as there is considerably more sound deadening at the front any slight rattle may not be heard. The rear of a golf has minimal sound deadening. Keep in mind the style of front suspension is very different to the rear as the front shock absorbers are fitted within the spring.

MarcA

Ready to race!
Inn motor factors cheapest I've found so far.. I have a claim into jct600 at the minute for thr same thing. I've been getting somewhere with the social media side..