GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rattling rear suspension....again!

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Dealer has said they will fit the rear replacements but I have to purchase them... lose lose

If the dealer will fit then you have done better than other owners as that is the first time I have heard of a UK dealer agreeing to fit another make. OK so you have to buy the parts but you will be very happy that you did. Far better to do that than fight a losing battle with VWUK. I would ask to keep the old Sachs shocks for a while so you can possibly see what I am talking about when I say there is some play between piston and the barrel. If you can see or feel that movement you might be able to point this out to the dealer and then try and prove to them that the parts are poorly manufactured or designed. I will be interested to hear from you once the new parts are fitted.

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
Yeah 230559 appears to be the correct # for the GTi and GTD, but like I mentioned earlier in this thread, not all dampers are the same as VW list a different part number for the GT dampers. I have found 3 that aren't GTi or GTD so may fit the GT but not sure. Physically looking they are correct but internally they will be different. It may mean they won't be an exact match for your springs and will change slightly how it feels. I guess the GT has a slightly softer spring rate and sits 10mm higher, but it will likely be a minimal change.

Last edited:

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
I haven't yet.trying to figure that out. A Facebook member said they used 230 / 559 on a gt..

Have you checked with Demon Tweeks as their website appears to indicate the damper for a GTI fits across much of the range of Golfs from 1.4 upwards. I believe if you fitted the same as I fitted to the GTI that you would be fine

MarcA

Ready to race!
Yeah 230559 appears to be the correct # for the GTi and GTD, but like I mentioned earlier in this thread, not all dampers are the same as VW list a different part number for the GT dampers. I have found 3 that aren't GTi or GTD so may fit the GT but not sure. Physically looking they are correct but internally they will be different. It may mean they won't be an exact match for your springs and will change slightly how it feels. I guess the GT has a slightly softer spring rate and sits 10mm higher, but it will likely be a minimal change.

The online shop lists that for a lot of models... including the 2.0 tdi 150

MarcA

Ready to race!
OK confirmed the 230559 model for my car however the dealer now says if I change shocks they will invalidate my 1 year warranty left onow he following.
The springs

Suspension mountings

Suspension bushes

Wheel Bearings

I may just set fire to it.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
OK confirmed the 230559 model for my car however the dealer now says if I change shocks they will invalidate my 1 year warranty left onow he following.
The springs

Suspension mountings

Suspension bushes

Wheel Bearings

I may just set fire to it.

That is ridiculous. Fitting 2 OEM shock absorbers from another manufacturer cannot invalidate a warranty and that dealer needs to get his facts correct. Just tell the dealer to contact the service manager at Bath VW or Brian Kattenberg at the VWUK Executive Office and they can confirm that I have Bilsteins fitted and my warranty is not invalid. Bath VW paid me to have the Bilstein parts fitted and I believe there may have even been a contribution in that from VWUK. Regarding Suspension mountings, Suspension bushes and Wheel Bearings. If you have the dreaded noise then just fit the Shocks and be done with it as its highly unlikely you will have issues with those other parts.

MarcA

Ready to race!
That is ridiculous. Fitting 2 OEM shock absorbers from another manufacturer cannot invalidate a warranty and that dealer needs to get his facts correct. Just tell the dealer to contact the service manager at Bath VW or Brian Kattenberg at the VWUK Executive Office and they can confirm that I have Bilsteins fitted and my warranty is not invalid. Bath VW paid me to have the Bilstein parts fitted and I believe there may have even been a contribution in that from VWUK. Regarding Suspension mountings, Suspension bushes and Wheel Bearings. If you have the dreaded noise then just fit the Shocks and be done with it as its highly unlikely you will have issues with those other parts.

Thanks will give it a try ! Worse case I get it done and take it elsewhere for warranty work..

MarcA

Ready to race!
Is that 80 quid for a pair !? Be interested to know what you think, particular for me would be road noise or vibration or feedback feel changes.