GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rain/light recognition sensor "wrong mounting position"- not working/cracked? 5Q0955559

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
For a few weeks I've noticed my wipers active really weird, either running full speed in drizzle, not reacting at all to rain or just defaulting to intermittent operation based on the switch position on the stalk.

Logging in I got the fault description in the title, fault code 934149.

The description is a bit unhelpful, I haven't moved the sensor, but when I got a light on it, I saw the following.

IMG20240103193116.jpg

For whatever reason, it looks like theres a crack across the sensor... As far as I know the sensor has a gel pad on top, how can a gel pad crack? I've not had a chance to try and remove it, may try to take it off tomorrow.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
The glass isn't damaged, at least the outer layer of the laminate isn't, you can't feel it and it looks way under the glass. As far as I can tell it's like the gel pad has cracked in half, just like gel shouldn't...

I just went and double checked this to satisfy my own curiosity, the glass is absolutely fine. When I removed the sensor I had to gently peel it away and as it popped loose the gel was balooned up, but deflated within a couple of seconds. After it had gone down you could clearly see a crease across the gel.

I checked the glass and cleaned it down anyway, refitted the sensor and it's still acting weird.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
For the moment, normal operation seems to have been resumed, other than occasionally doing too many wipes in light rain.

No idea what I've done other than remove and refit the sensor.