GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions about upcoming SMOG check

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Smog check required after year 4 when selling.
Yes, if you sell to Calif resident. That is why I would keep the car and enjoy until year 8, then restore back to stock (save your parts). Sell speed parts, sell stock car. Done after many years of fun.

Coach Beard

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Smog check required after year 4 when selling.
And what many sellers fail to realize is the burden is on them to provide a smog cert. I'll never buy a car without a fresh one, been screwed when I was younger and didn't know the rules.

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Going fast is expensive. Going fast, and avoiding emissions even more expensive. Calif is cracking down on the Montana LLC stuff. Usually discovered when you get a ticket in California and your license shows you are a Calif resident and your car is not. Or when you sell your car in Calif. Fines can be big and if you never paid sales tax in California when you bought it you might end up paying them and associated fines. Also discovered if you are unlucky enough to have a tax audit. So the risk is having to pay tax/fines along with emissions compliance issues. The LLC stuff is big with supercar and collector car owners trying to avoid paying sales tax and secondarily avoid emissions. It has become almost comical how many cars at Cars and Coffee meets in Calif that are from Montana.
I never said going fast wasn't expensive, doesn't mean you have to be completely dumb with your money though (unless you have F U money). I never told anybody to do registration tricks.. not really sure what your ramble is about.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I never said going fast wasn't expensive, doesn't mean you have to be completely dumb with your money though (unless you have F U money). I never told anybody to do registration tricks.. not really sure what your ramble is about.
Ok

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Well, in the end the CA Smog Gestapo wins. I received my registration renewal with smog cert requirement notice from the DMV last week, so this week I started removing my mods and putting in the stock hardware, with the intent of putting it all back after the smog is completed. Well, after taking off a few parts and restoring factory parts(catch can, boost hoses, TMD, inlet with full intake) , I had an epiphany and told myself there is NO WAY I will be doing this every 2 years. So in the end I will just keep it stock hardware and run a stage 1 91 and e30 tune from eqt. Gonna be putting up a lot of parts for sale soon!

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Well, in the end the CA Smog Gestapo wins. I received my registration renewal with smog cert requirement notice from the DMV last week, so this week I started removing my mods and putting in the stock hardware, with the intent of putting it all back after the smog is completed. Well, after taking off a few parts and restoring factory parts(catch can, boost hoses, TMD, inlet with full intake) , I had an epiphany and told myself there is NO WAY I will be doing this every 2 years. So in the end I will just keep it stock hardware and run a stage 1 91 and e30 tune from eqt. Gonna be putting up a lot of parts for sale soon!
All this considering the insane number of pick-ups and 5L muscle cars in CA. I'm not even talking about coal rolling morons with exhaust pipes the size of their mothers' vaginas during birth. I feel for you, man.

Coach Beard

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
That would be a giant pain to swap everything that often. It's one reason why I've never done engine mods to my car. That and reliability. I'm waiting for my neighbor to get a dose of reality with his catless DP'd F30 BMW. Maybe I'm just too old but the damn thing cold starts like friggin F1 car and he lets it warm up for 10 min or so. It drowns my TV and rattles my house. He looks about 18 or 19 so maybe it'll be a good thing for him to learn the hard way.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
That would be a giant pain to swap everything that often. It's one reason why I've never done engine mods to my car. That and reliability. I'm waiting for my neighbor to get a dose of reality with his catless DP'd F30 BMW. Maybe I'm just too old but the damn thing cold starts like friggin F1 car and he lets it warm up for 10 min or so. It drowns my TV and rattles my house. He looks about 18 or 19 so maybe it'll be a good thing for him to learn the hard way.
He’ll learn when he buzzes chp hiding in some onramp.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
Intercooler is allowed since it doesn’t directly affect emissions, and there are carb legal intakes and stage 1 tunes. But catch can and tmd will definitely fail. Catback exhaust is only regulated by noise.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
You might be okay with the TMD, it's pretty well hidden and there's no rolling test anymore, right?
Unless the tech knows what to look for or it's an obvious mod (bright colors, large logo, etc) they're unlikely to see it an all black/silver TMD.

My MINI passed visual w/ a straight black pipe. OEM was an accordion inside a plastic can, iirc.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R

If you still want power, the Vortex + factory DP tune from EQT is a great option. Peak power is a small bump from stage 2, but the car pulls hard to redline. Only things you need to swap for smog are the TMAP/PUT sensors and flash back to a CARB legal tune.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3

I got two more years before I have to smog. At that time I'm just going to remove my downpipe and run a Neuspeed intake which has a CARB EO number. I have an AP so I can just flash to the Cobb stage 1 which also has an EO number. I just might end up putting the car back to stock and give it to my dad. It'll probably only have 30k miles on it.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I got two more years before I have to smog. At that time I'm just going to remove my downpipe and run a Neuspeed intake which has a CARB EO number. I have an AP so I can just flash to the Cobb stage 1 which also has an EO number. I just might end up putting the car back to stock and give it to my dad. It'll probably only have 30k miles on it.
Can i borrow your dp for smogging in two years?

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
If you still want power, the Vortex + factory DP tune from EQT is a great option. Peak power is a small bump from stage 2, but the car pulls hard to redline. Only things you need to swap for smog are the TMAP/PUT sensors and flash back to a CARB legal tune.
I just had the vortex removed on Friday. Honestly just running around with the is20 at current stage 2 with MAP's ACN file the past couple of days in normal daily driving, the car definitely picks up a lot faster and is still enjoyable to drive. I think I will be happy with the is20 from here on out.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I just had the vortex removed on Friday. Honestly just running around with the is20 at current stage 2 with MAP's ACN file the past couple of days in normal daily driving, the car definitely picks up a lot faster and is still enjoyable to drive. I think I will be happy with the is20 from here on out.
You also prefer faster spool up?