GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions about upcoming SMOG check

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I guess I'm too new to the smog game. I don't even know what a star station is 😬.
In California they have regular and STAR smog stations. However it is not clear to me that there is any difference in what and how they test. I have a smog shop I have been going to for last 20 years. It happens to be a STAR shop. STAR is some sort of higher certification from CARB I think.

https://www.smogtips.com/star-smog-check-station-program.cfm

How are vehicles selected for STAR smog check?

The State of California uses the following three strategies to determine whether a vehicle is STAR station designated or not:

• Gross polluters (vehicles which have failed a previous smog inspection with very high emission readings)
  • High Emitter Profile vehicles. These are vehicle types designated by the Bureau of Automotive Repair as having high chances of failing the smog inspection.
  • A random sample of all vehicles registered in California and being driven on public roadways.
If your vehicle has been selected to undergo a STAR smog check don't be alarmed. Simply locate a convenient STAR certified smog station and proceed with the inspection. The smog technician conducting the test can inform you of any serious issues.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Ahhh... I have noticed some stations have that STAR sign/designation. In my naivety I thought that was just a chain of smog check providers 🤦🏿‍♂️.

My car has been to two different places for small both chosen entirely by their proximity to where I work. I just looked at the website for the place I went last week and it doesn't mention STAR anywhere but it does mention "gross polluter certified."

Safe to assume that if I need to go to a STAR station and I go to one that isn't they'll tell me when they look at the DMV form and send me on my way?

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
The Star station thing seems to be random. I had a car that had to go to a Star station one time. That was it. It was a really long time ago.

I recently came across a smog guy that really doesn't look at the car. I brought my GF's Cooper S to get smogged. It has a Neuspeed Power Module. I don't think he even looked in the engine bay. He just popped the hood and glanced in the engine. I took our A3 in and it has a P-Flo. He didn't say anything about it. It does have a CARB sticker. What brought me to this guy is that the smog shop I used to use did not want to smog the A3 with the P-Flo...even though it has a EO number.
Would you mind pm’ing details if this is in socal?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Would you mind pm’ing details if this is in socal?

Let me find the receipt. I don't remember the name of the shop. I'll send you a PM when I find it.

Keep in mind I brought in two basically stock vehicles. If you bring in an obviously modified vehicle...he might be more vigilant when it comes to inspecting your engine.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
My upcoming smog check will be with a STAR station. I'm basically stock now with no engine lights so I don't see any issues, the only thing I'm pondering is if I should load a Cobb CARB tune or just unmarry the accessport and go stock.....considering Ksurl had an issue with even with an EO exempt air filter with sticker.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
That was not me. Havent had to smog yet since mine is a 2018.

I only have a neuspeed intake with carb sticker thats obvious. Stock downpipe with a stage 1 tune with carb sticker

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I am going in with a Neuspeed intake and APR stage 1 tune. I have EO numbers for both. Going to my usual smog station which happens to be STAR rated. I will show EO on intake but I want to see if they spot the APR tune. Will report results later today. (SoCal)

Darn shop not open again until next week.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The stations I've been to in my TDI, not STAR rated... I just pop the hood, fill out my name/address on their form, sit in a chair and wait on them to be done. The Neuspeed sticker is right on the heat shield (I did clear epoxy over it so it won't peel/fade) so you can't miss it when looking at the filter. Based on the 10-15 seconds they spend looking under the hood they don't seem concerned. Nothing else on the car to draw any attention though, which is good.

st1ckyGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Unitronic Stage 1 tune, no other engine mods. Passed without issues

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Just got the car smogged and passed. Unmarried the cobb and went in with stock everything sans black ebay intercooler. The tech popped the hood and took his flashlight and started snooping around, and he also went under the car to look at at the cat converter. Drove home right after and re-installed the eqt stage 1 tune. Lol, I was hesitant to retune the car because stock power wasn't that bad, surprised me a couple of times. The stock tune is butter smooth.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well I went to smog my car today (Calif). I am running APR stage 1, they did not mention anything regarding a tune and did not ask for a CARB #.
However, I run a Neuspeed intake and they did ask for the CARB sticker. I proudly produced it. And after a bit they came back and said the number was not valid for my car. And sure enough I checked their work and the CARB # on the sticker can be used to get to the original order and the list of covered cars. Only a 2012 Golf R was listed not a 2013. D-236 covers all P-Flo intakes, the -15 indicates that if covers up to that year model. Unfortunately for me the list did not get updated. So, I have requested a new updated CARB sticker from Neuspeed (my car is listed on the -22 list). Hilarious, I wanted to see if they noticed the tune and was not worried about the intake since I had a sticker.

Last edited:

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
good to know and was one thing I wondered about. Would be nice if they just kept updating the one number as new cars that fall under it get added.

Jcatarino

Hi Cuzoe,

I’m in SoCal also, with a 2015 TDI. What tune do you run?
Ahhh... I have noticed some stations have that STAR sign/designation. In my naivety I thought that was just a chain of smog check providers 🤦🏿‍♂️.

My car has been to two different places for small both chosen entirely by their proximity to where I work. I just looked at the website for the place I went last week and it doesn't mention STAR anywhere but it does mention "gross polluter certified."

Safe to assume that if I need to go to a STAR station and I go to one that isn't they'll tell me when they look at the DMV form and send me on my way?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
good to know and was one thing I wondered about. Would be nice if they just kept updating the one number as new cars that fall under it get added.
They try to do that but not a huge deal. Neuspeed sent me out a newer sticker going back in today.

Follow-up - Went back in with my new updated Neuspeed sticker and passed. They had to do a complete tests again. Still never detected a tune. So at least so far it does not seem that they have a way to detect them as of today June 5, 2023. I had gone in last year with a stage 2 tune on my Audi A8L TDI and no tune was detected then either.

Last edited: