GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PSA: Check your subframe for cracks.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Edit: This has been covered before, and is apparently normal. My bad everyone. It is explained in post #7. I over reacted when the dealership said they couldn't find it, instead of that it is normal. They finally emailed me this morning with the TSB. Well it was a great lesson on why you should search before posting. Doh.

Mods feel free to rename thread to "Dummy should have searched"

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
If they're all like that are you sure it's actually a crack?

Yup, due to shape and the fact it runs through the weld. I happen to know a lot about welding and metals thanks to blacksmithing.

Also I haven't confirmed they are all like that. Currently just 3 for 3. Thus my question to the forums.

Great question though, and thanks for asking. No harming in questioning something like that. I'm still questioning it myself, but the cracks are all slightly different in shape and form. Also will be inspecting my shops 2017 Jetta loaner.

I have a Golf Wagon 4motion 1.8T (I think, haven't popped the hood) DSG loaner with 5k currently. I plan to throw it up on the lift and check it out tomorrow before returning it.

Last edited:

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Huh I'm climbing under the car this Wednesday for some work and I'll keep an eye out to see if I developed one as well. Considering all my mounts and whatnot there's a snowballs chance in hell my dealer would cover a replacement under warranty.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Huh I'm climbing under the car this Wednesday for some work and I'll keep an eye out to see if I developed one as well. Considering all my mounts and whatnot there's a snowballs chance in hell my dealer would cover a replacement under warranty.

Initially that is what I thought as well, until I found similar cracks on non-modified vehicles driven by old ladies (so to speak). My dogbone bushings are no longer sitting square in the cup, but have warped and are angled towards the rear. There is about 2mm difference between the front of the bushing and the rear.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
I mean the part is 2 pressings sandwiched with the motor mount ring sandwiched through it. The motor mount is pressed in from both sides. I'm guessing the metal ring is one piece of sheet steel rolled into a ring and pushed through for the creation of the dogbone arm hole. Maybe pressing the bushings damages the seam slightly and it's not welded there as it's welded around the entire circumference on the top and bottom main subframe sections. Honestly, it's such a small area that isn't even structurally significant... there's no problem here. No reason to threaten to sue and no real reason for replacement.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Ugh, with the issues I've been having with my mounts, I'm wondering whether I may have this same problem. I'll look out for it when I bring it in in the next couple weeks.

Edit: Okay - nevermind. I guess it's normal.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Its to allow for differential expansion of the materials involved from what I know of materials...

Just like in masonry you have expansion gaps etc....looks wrong but is correct & OK....

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Alright cool, just scary that it goes through the weld. I saw the split from the roll on the bottom and knew that was normal. My forum google foo failed me, sorry for the repost.