GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PowerZone: Rear WaveTrac install into Differential *In Progress*

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Thought I'd share here...

Over on VWVortex I've gained wind of a rear WaveTrac install conducted by an Austrian company called PowerZone. Needless to say, after installing my only front one I had to one installed in the rear (here's the thread). After contacting WaveTrac for over 6-8 months about creating one for the rear, they've always mentioned they had one in works and were going to release one in the near future... well it's been 8 months. In short, I wanted one, so I reached out to PowerZone for a quote, and it's not cheap (hold your breath) - It's shy of $5k USD. I could've gotten the price lower if I sent my original unit in but I'd rather have 2 diffs just in case. Also, shipping is about 5-600$ USD. So it wasn't worth it at that point. Anyway, I wasn't getting any younger, and this is probably my last ICE car so why the hell not. ETA to completion is late February/early March. Here's some photos of the progress they've made so far.

IMG_2490.JPG
IMG_2493.JPG
IMG_2499.JPG

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I don’t understand why you’d want one in the rear. I assume xds would intervene way before a rear lsd could snap power to the other side.

I think you’d gain more from an lsd in the front. If we take the focus rs (different awd system, slightly but still made by borg Warner), it tracked well because of the rear vectoring and how it induces yaw and twist. Then the 2018 rs got an lsd in the front and it was just so much better.

you can also look at the mini jcw clubman s. It’s got a part time awd system too. But it’s got an e-lsd in the front. And it works very very well.

if you add a diff in the rear. Obviously you’d gain a lot from locking the haldex to 50/50 using a controller. But to make max use of the rear lsd you’d probably have to disable xds. Or maybe set it to weak. I think that’s a downside considering how the R understeers before the rear does its thing (unless u lock to 50/50)

the mk8’s new awd system will allow for some focus rs like functionality in the rear. And I’m sure it’s going to track very well. But if the focus rs taught us anything, a diff in the front pays dividends big time.

Either way. Very dope!

Last edited:

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
I don’t understand why you’d want one in the rear. I assume xds would intervene way before a rear lsd could snap power to the other side.

I think you’d gain more from an lsd in the front. If we take the focus rs (different awd system, slightly but still made by borg Warner), it tracked well because of the rear vectoring and how it induces yaw and twist. Then the 2018 rs got an lsd in the front and it was just so much better.

you can also look at the mini jcw clubman s. It’s got a part time awd system too. But it’s got an e-lsd in the front. And it works very very well.

if you add a diff in the rear. Obviously you’d gain a lot from locking the haldex to 50/50 using a controller. But to make max use of the rear lsd you’d probably have to disable xds. Or maybe set it to weak. I think that’s a downside considering how the R understeers before the rear does its thing (unless u lock to 50/50)

the mk8’s new awd system will allow for some focus rs like functionality in the rear. And I’m sure it’s going to track very well. But if the focus rs taught us anything, a diff in the front pays dividends big time.

Either way. Very dope!
Death to XDS! With XDS ON after I had my FRONT wavetrac installed I said “big deal.” I floored it through a corner and felt my car deaccelerate. AFTER completely turning off XDS... no words can express the happiness I felt.

Now some might think this unit might not offer much considering the R is predominantly a fwd with rear assist. But after pulling hard through a corner with the help of the Wavetrac, the rear does get a tad squiggly. IMO you probably won’t need a rear sway bar or maybe go back to stock.

With a rear LSD I’d prefer the push from the outside wheel over XDS! Regardless, if you don’t have a front LSD get one. It’s mind blowing. If you do have one make sure XDS is completely off.

Reactions: q74

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Death to XDS! With XDS ON after I had my FRONT wavetrac installed I said “big deal.” I floored it through a corner and felt my car deaccelerate. AFTER completely turning off XDS... no words can express the happiness I felt.

Now some might think this unit might not offer much considering the R is predominantly a fwd with rear assist. But after pulling hard through a corner with the help of the Wavetrac, the rear does get a tad squiggly. IMO you probably won’t need a rear sway bar or maybe go back to stock.

With a rear LSD I’d prefer the push from the outside wheel over XDS! Regardless, if you don’t have a front LSD get one. It’s mind blowing. If you do have one make sure XDS is completely off.
Oh yeah if u swapped in a mechanical lsd in the front, xds off is the way to go!

but with it off. I understand the sense of urgently procuring an lsd for the rear.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion

I got one installed a few weeks ago. HUGE upgrade over XDS. It becomes so much more evident in winter and snow, where the car seems to stutter trying to figure out what to do before. Traction control was constantly working and even when you turn off the nannies it still didn't feel right - and I think XDS was the problem. Can I put a 'metric' on this? No, but I know in lap times at a track, this would be SIGNIFICANTLY better.

Wavetrac LSD is the *fix* to make this car great, if you can do it. Now looking forward to the rear LSD feedback, as I think that would be the final piece. I am on winter tires, and I find the Haldex /w rear had a slight issue with letting go when pushed too hard...but that could be the tires (summers in 1-2 months) or needing a tweak to the controller (next thing I likely do), or the rear LSD.

So question, do you have the Haldex tune already?

Green SVT

Car(s)
19 Golf R, 98 M3
I've been hoping for something like this since before i even bought my car. This has 100% of my attention. Definitely watching your progress.

-R

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
I got one installed a few weeks ago. HUGE upgrade over XDS. It becomes so much more evident in winter and snow, where the car seems to stutter trying to figure out what to do before. Traction control was constantly working and even when you turn off the nannies it still didn't feel right - and I think XDS was the problem. Can I put a 'metric' on this? No, but I know in lap times at a track, this would be SIGNIFICANTLY better.

Wavetrac LSD is the *fix* to make this car great, if you can do it. Now looking forward to the rear LSD feedback, as I think that would be the final piece. I am on winter tires, and I find the Haldex /w rear had a slight issue with letting go when pushed too hard...but that could be the tires (summers in 1-2 months) or needing a tweak to the controller (next thing I likely do), or the rear LSD.

So question, do you have the Haldex tune already?
Hey I'm glad you got to feel the Wavetrac as I did! I was really blown away by it so I just pulled the trigger on this as soon as I found out there was an option. Apparently, and in Europe only it seems, there's another company that does the same thing. However, I've seen options for a clutch pack type rear lsd. From my experience using OS Giken, and... another one I can't remember, those damn LSDs clunk... drove me a little batty.

On the side note, they also provide Haldex Reinforced Clutch discs.
HInterachse1-600x352.jpg

I inquired about this option and their response was...

Both friction and intermediate plates have a special temperature resistant coating with a higher friction coefficient than OEM. Makes most sense for cars that are regulary driven on track...

Unfortunately, my car has not seen a track... yet. And I doubt I'll be going more than 1-2x a year at that. I'm mostly a on-ramp, off-ramp type of "racer." However, I do have my share of auto-x and road racing experience (Pick up Going Fast by Carl Lopez if you're learning bout the racing line). Anyone up for Laguna Seca... some time in the later year? As soon as I finish my sound system? :)

Last edited: