GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PowerZone: Rear WaveTrac install into Differential *In Progress*

Vinsanyon

Passed Driver's Ed
I am not sure what should I expect from just a rear lsd from this occasionally-awd car.
but I have a simple question. Will it allow me side way in R with the rear LSD?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I like this idea...proper "old school"..driver skill & not electrical pandering....

Yes I like driver assistance devices..too a point, otherwise its just compensation for too much power & too little driver skill....similar attitude is shared by Gordon Murray...(F1 designer).

I just wonder if/when you'll remove the electric hand/parking brake & retrofit a manual parking/hand brake for proper J turns/spins???....:unsure::ROFLMAO:

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I like this idea...proper "old school"..driver skill & not electrical pandering....

Yes I like driver assistance devices..too a point, otherwise its just compensation for too much power & too little driver skill....similar attitude is shared by Gordon Murray...(F1 designer).

I just wonder if/when you'll remove the electric hand/parking brake & retrofit a manual parking/hand brake for proper J turns/spins???....:unsure::ROFLMAO:
All joking aside, I really do miss my old school manual handbrake. as the top gear guys would say, one handbrake slide and the panties would fly off!!!!

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Diff is ready to ship! Here’s some photos. Not sure how long shipping will take. I’ll be doing the install. Can’t wait.

1B6429C4-BBF5-45BC-A9B2-E68537119497.jpeg

61B054B6-26D6-43CC-8DFC-384D42645CEB.jpeg

6FB73B63-ECCE-4B4A-A53D-17A3E8C1AF93.jpeg

02BA7803-9F1C-45FF-986A-11DA534A0EAA.jpeg

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
After much delay from FedEx I was able to get my haldex! I wanted to have a shining moment when I opened up the crate/box... but what I was left with was a very... well... unsightly pile of rubble.

image2.jpeg

Now I'm sure PowerZone / Haldex-LSD did their good work in packaging this. Fedex though? Well... shit. I told the driver if I needed to actually sign for it. Apparently I don't. He also mentioned that powerzone should have sent it via Freight. Well... my thought was shouldn't fedex actually ship the boxes intact? Regardless, a bit of powerzone's underestimation of FedEx's ill care for their duty... and FedEx just being beastly at shipping boxes. Though, I can say UPS mangles wheels (never ship wheels via UPS).

I hope that the Haldex is OK. I figure the casing would be cracked if they did indeed feel like dropping this box off the plane onto the runway (United Breaks Guitars). I reached out to PowerZone and they ensured it was OK and that Customs opened it up. "Yaye". I'll keep my fingers crossed. Surprsingly, this thing is lighter than I thought it was going to be! I thought I might've needed a jack to lower/raise this thing. Nope. I can just bench press this thing. Anyway, wish me luck.

image1.jpeg

image0 (9).jpeg

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Just in case anyone wants to remove their final drive (FSM calls it that) you'll follow these steps:
  1. Remove Exhaust (you can't reach the axle bolts with this on)
  2. Remove axle bolts (6 per side, 12 total) - keep wheels on to rotate the axle and gain access to bolts
  3. Remove driveshaft bolts (10mm multi 12-point socket - 3 of them)
  4. Remove springs (this might be optional)
  5. Remove only rear subframe bolts. The subframe will drop from the rear about 40mm. Enough to give you access to the two 14 point socket screws on the differential.
  6. Remove the rear heat shield. I pushed the 3 tabs in and used a pick to rotate the waves out... it's a bi***.
  7. Fully loosen rear axle bolts. You won't be able to take them out due to clearance. But that's OK. Leave them in there - You'll need a special tool T10035 - 14 point socket and 21mm ratchet wrench
  8. Remove two vent hoses feeding into the subframe from the differential.
  9. Remove the haldex controller unit along with the two connectors. I found it easier to use a T27 (if not T30) to get the unit out and then remove the connectors.
  10. Place a transmission jack (i just used a regular jack) to prop the differential. Now remove the 3rd and remaining 14 point socket screw. This will drop the differential. This is where you need to be cautious.
  11. Push the differential all the way back towards the back of the car. The driftshaft will now be able to fully release. Make sure you're out of the way of it!
  12. Now slide the haldex forward with the front of it angled downward. As you drop the differential you can free both of the axles.
I think that's it. Reply if you have any questions!

Herein lays the old final drive. Out comes the Haldex assembly and in goes it into the wavetrac'd differential.

image2 (1).jpeg
image4.jpeg

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
I wish I had cool photos to show you guys. Unfortunately the wavetrac is something you can't see, but only feel, and I must say this thing is pretty cool. The car no longer feels like a fwd out of corners... or sensation of the front outside wheel drawing the car to the apex. Instead, I can feel the rear outer wheel pushing the car out of the corner. In a sense, it's not only a PULL from the front but also a PUSH from the rear (win/win) . I can also feel the car clawing for grip. Before, with XDS ON, the car felt like a dead potato. Just... blah. Though, I didn't know what to expect with this mod. I'll report back as I learn a bit more bout the change in dynamics of this thing.

GolfR'n&Jeep'n

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15' Golf R
I wish I had cool photos to show you guys. Unfortunately the wavetrac is something you can't see, but only feel, and I must say this thing is pretty cool. The car no longer feels like a fwd out of corners... or sensation of the front outside wheel drawing the car to the apex. Instead, I can feel the rear outer wheel pushing the car out of the corner. In a sense, it's not only a PULL from the front but also a PUSH from the rear (win/win) . I can also feel the car clawing for grip. Before, with XDS ON, the car felt like a dead potato. Just... blah. Though, I didn't know what to expect with this mod. I'll report back as I learn a bit more bout the change in dynamics of this thing.
And videos 😁