GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

People with jb1/4 and manual transmission

mturner1578

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI 4Dr
I don’t think that is applicable with the newer firmwares. The pass through map with logging is map 0 and map 4 is a map specifically for 7 speed AWD VAG cars in the newer firmware releases.
Does this apply to the JB1 as well even though it's older? I was under the impression Map 4 was the pass through "safety" map.. wanting to select the map that's easiest on my clutch... I went to another thread on this forum on the topic but I think I was reading posts from 2017 from maps George was talking about..

bootzilla

Not sure what Map 4 might do on a JB1 (although now I am curious). Map 0 will give you no added boost...so just like stock. Putting together a custom Map 6 is your best bet to go easy on the clutch. I can't remember the thread where I found it, but I have some values previously suggested here that are conservative down low I can get from my JB1/manual (5spd) if you are interested...

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Does this apply to the JB1 as well even though it's older? I was under the impression Map 4 was the pass through "safety" map.. wanting to select the map that's easiest on my clutch... I went to another thread on this forum on the topic but I think I was reading posts from 2017 from maps George was talking about..
I swiped this from another forum:

Map List:

Map 0: Stock bypass. Stage1 fully disabled
Map 1: 4.8psi over stock, adjustable by changing "boost safety" setting on user adjustment tab.
Map 3: Progressive methanol mapping
Map 6: Custom tuning map entered on user adjustment tab.

mturner1578

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI 4Dr
Not sure what Map 4 might do on a JB1 (although now I am curious). Map 0 will give you no added boost...so just like stock. Putting together a custom Map 6 is your best bet to go easy on the clutch. I can't remember the thread where I found it, but I have some values previously suggested here that are conservative down low I can get from my JB1/manual (5spd) if you are interested...
I initially had it on Map 4 for the first day.. logged it (haven't checked it yet). Today I have switched it to Map 6 with settings I found on another thread on the forum:
Basically "boost safety" is set to 5 and the PSI boosts start at 4000RPM (I started mine at 3500) with an increase of 2 and increase gradually to 5 at 5500 RPM then a slow drop back to 4.5 by 7000RPM.

In comparing just those two.. for sure Map 4 is more aggressive.. I am logging the Map 6 i'm on today as well. I am going to check the values and screenshot this afternoon for all the maps available. I still need to do a trial run of Map 1 and 2 tomorrow and the next day..
My main issue is that I know the maps have been updated so much and most of the threads i'm reading in refer to maps that no longer exist..

mturner1578

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI 4Dr
I swiped this from another forum:

Map List:

Map 0: Stock bypass. Stage1 fully disabled
Map 1: 4.8psi over stock, adjustable by changing "boost safety" setting on user adjustment tab.
Map 3: Progressive methanol mapping
Map 6: Custom tuning map entered on user adjustment tab.
I think I have seen this as well on that JB1 thread with like over 100 pages. lol I didn't know if this was current or not, because i'm finding out a lot of these are out of date.. My JB1 has 7 or 8 maps available I noticed last night.. which makes me even more confused because I thought the map list only went up to 6. haha

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
I initially had it on Map 4 for the first day.. logged it (haven't checked it yet). Today I have switched it to Map 6 with settings I found on another thread on the forum:
Basically "boost safety" is set to 5 and the PSI boosts start at 4000RPM (I started mine at 3500) with an increase of 2 and increase gradually to 5 at 5500 RPM then a slow drop back to 4.5 by 7000RPM.

In comparing just those two.. for sure Map 4 is more aggressive.. I am logging the Map 6 i'm on today as well. I am going to check the values and screenshot this afternoon for all the maps available. I still need to do a trial run of Map 1 and 2 tomorrow and the next day..
My main issue is that I know the maps have been updated so much and most of the threads i'm reading in refer to maps that no longer exist..

I think I have seen this as well on that JB1 thread with like over 100 pages. lol I didn't know if this was current or not, because i'm finding out a lot of these are out of date.. My JB1 has 7 or 8 maps available I noticed last night.. which makes me even more confused because I thought the map list only went up to 6. haha

If you're experiencing more aggressive Map4, then it is likely the JB1 maps are now the same as the JB4 ones (keep in mind you can't run boost quite as high with JB1, so follow JB1 guidelines). Originally I think JB1 was only suppose to have Map0,1,2,3,6 as listed above with 2 being the 93 octane aggressive tune.

Here's the Maps list for JB4:
"Maps are based on 60/85//5 and newer firmware.

Map 0: This is a stock map with JB4 logging ability. It is also the starter map for cars that are running flash tunes and are stacking the JB4.
Map 1: Tuned map with a average of 4.0psi over stock. This is the shipped map and is compatible for both 91 and 93 and can be used with cars on hardware.
Map 2: Tuned map with 5.0psi peak boost over stock. 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Map 3 Peak boost 6psi 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Map 4 Peak boost 6psi (Golf R and Audi S3 7speed DSG specific), it has a taper at higher rpm so will also work well for all on 93 in hot climates
Map 5 Absolute map peaking 25 tapers to 20psi. E30 with bolt ons needed. (not to be used on 1.8T or 2.0T Jetta)
Map 6: User adjustable boost map. The map comes preset with a 5.0psi over stock peak and is ready to use on any car running 93 octane. The preset map is also suitable for manual cars with clutch longevity in mind.
The mapping can be done in two manners. If the value at 1500 is kept below 10 it will work as a boost adder map. If the value at 1500 is higher than 10 it will work as a absolute map. This means actual total boost targets will need to be entered.
Map 7: Meth integration map using our FSB Meth controller
Map 8: This is a valet map/safety map where 50% of the boost is cut. It will give the ability to log the car via the JB4. This is also the safety map, so in any circumstance the JB4 detects a unsafe condition regardless of map it will default to this map. This includes knock detection, lean AFR or the boost safety value being triggered due to lack of boost control.

Last edited by George @ BMS; 11-10-2020 at 11:03 AM.. "

Sauce.

mturner1578

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI 4Dr
If you're experiencing more aggressive Map4, then it is likely the JB1 maps are now the same as the JB4 ones (keep in mind you can't run boost quite as high with JB1, so follow JB1 guidelines). Originally I think JB1 was only suppose to have Map0,1,2,3,6 as listed above with 2 being the 93 octane aggressive tune.

Here's the Maps list for JB4:
"Maps are based on 60/85//5 and newer firmware.

Map 0: This is a stock map with JB4 logging ability. It is also the starter map for cars that are running flash tunes and are stacking the JB4.
Map 1: Tuned map with a average of 4.0psi over stock. This is the shipped map and is compatible for both 91 and 93 and can be used with cars on hardware.
Map 2: Tuned map with 5.0psi peak boost over stock. 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Map 3 Peak boost 6psi 93AKI/98Ron recommended
Map 4 Peak boost 6psi (Golf R and Audi S3 7speed DSG specific), it has a taper at higher rpm so will also work well for all on 93 in hot climates
Map 5 Absolute map peaking 25 tapers to 20psi. E30 with bolt ons needed. (not to be used on 1.8T or 2.0T Jetta)
Map 6: User adjustable boost map. The map comes preset with a 5.0psi over stock peak and is ready to use on any car running 93 octane. The preset map is also suitable for manual cars with clutch longevity in mind.
The mapping can be done in two manners. If the value at 1500 is kept below 10 it will work as a boost adder map. If the value at 1500 is higher than 10 it will work as a absolute map. This means actual total boost targets will need to be entered.
Map 7: Meth integration map using our FSB Meth controller
Map 8: This is a valet map/safety map where 50% of the boost is cut. It will give the ability to log the car via the JB4. This is also the safety map, so in any circumstance the JB4 detects a unsafe condition regardless of map it will default to this map. This includes knock detection, lean AFR or the boost safety value being triggered due to lack of boost control.

Last edited by George @ BMS; 11-10-2020 at 11:03 AM.. "

Sauce.
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for/wanting to find out. Thank you!! I've decided to start off with Map 1 for a week or two, then go to Map 2.. log it.. and send it to BMS to try and get a good Map 6 settings for my car (is this adviseable?). Also this may be a stupid question.. but how exactly do I log things? I click "Start Log" before I disconnect, but then next time I connect and click "Stop Log and Export", then I export the .csv file and .png image, they are both showing blank?

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for/wanting to find out. Thank you!! I've decided to start off with Map 1 for a week or two, then go to Map 2.. log it.. and send it to BMS to try and get a good Map 6 settings for my car (is this adviseable?). Also this may be a stupid question.. but how exactly do I log things? I click "Start Log" before I disconnect, but then next time I connect and click "Stop Log and Export", then I export the .csv file and .png image, they are both showing blank?

Can't help you with the logging since I don't have one (as you probably know, haha). Maybe ask in the main JB4 logging thread or the Burger forum I linked above if no one answers you here. Good luck!

mturner1578

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI 4Dr
Can't help you with the logging since I don't have one (as you probably know, haha). Maybe ask in the main JB4 logging thread or the Burger forum I linked above if no one answers you here. Good luck!
Ah no worries I will refer to the said thread.. lol Thanks again for the help!