GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

People with jb1/4 and manual transmission

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Another day another tuned car/clutch thread.
Everyone is different.

If you don't pay attention and roll on >50% throttle down low in the RPM Range in high gears your clutch will be toasted sooner than late.

The driver is by far the largest variable.

All motors and mechanical items will fail eventually. The oem clutch is not a performance clutch. These motors stock, tuned, piggy make a lot of torque down low. It also appears to be a variance in quality control on these oem clutch parts. With that said...

I would agree the driver as stated above contributes a great part because I have seen this phenomenon on multiple platforms (turbo front drive) now. I would say well over half of new owner manual MK7 GTI/R owners (based off many comments made) have felt it is ok or normal to be able to mash the throttle at lower speed in the higher gears (5th & 6th). In fact many users report "checking for slip" by going WOT in 5th-6th which is largest cause of the slip to begin with. That is a clutch Darwin Award right there. Lol.

George Smooth of Burger (if you search/research) has stated this multiple times in clutch threads. It is the quickest way to a short clutch life.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
If you go JB4 and want to turn it up/have fun I recommend doing clutch! OEM Clutch in the 6mt's are garbage! I've just finished clutch and flywheel. and they are broken in properly now. I have a super aggressive map 6. And my clutch is'nt even blinking. I highly highly recommend! I did south bend stage 3 daily, So I don't have to worry about it down the line! Yes you can survive on Map1, being careful every shift. But where is the fun in that?! Getta clutch if your tuned!
How is the pedal feel on that stage 3 daily? That's the one I was gonna go with but I have been debating on it, asking myself am I going to really need it, am I ever really going to make over 400lbft torque, needs to still be drivable for the wife.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
How is the pedal feel on that stage 3 daily? That's the one I was gonna go with but I have been debating on it, asking myself am I going to really need it, am I ever really going to make over 400lbft torque, needs to still be drivable for the wife.

The wife leaves the kitchen? Huh, interesting house hold. :confused:

railroader

Autocross Newbie

GTIMK7T

Ready to race!
Bro it was way too stiff at first. Like I thought I made the wrong choice! But it's broken in nicely! And not too stiff at all. And is'nt that what "high heels" Are for?! haha. I think she will be fine once it's broken in! Peddle feel is maybe %20 percent stiffer. Before it was broken in I swear it was like %1,000 Percent stiffer. Broke in perfect. And It is not too stiff now (I live downtown LA, and deal with stop and go traffic). I'm a small guy 130 lbs (Weight reduction) and never work out lol. And I don't find it too stiff. Good feel, AMAZING engagement. A little chatter. But you'll be happy if you go stage 3 daily! :)

railroader

Autocross Newbie

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I don't think you got my sarcasm, haha.
Wish it was like the good ol days when they didn't leave the kitchen and talk back and people could afford and live decent with a one income family

jayrm14

Passed Driver's Ed
Is there any information out there regarding the CSS clutch? I assume it can be installed in a gti or r?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Is there any information out there regarding the CSS clutch? I assume it can be installed in a gti or r?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would you want it, though? Any OEM Golf clutch is not going to stand up to the test of anything beyond JB1 power, and even JB1 power will greatly reduce the life of any OEM Golf clutch.

Same clutch as R. This is just a very minor improvement over the GTI one though.
If you need a better clutch get the TT-RS/DIY or Sachs SRE.

erikweber321

Ready to race!
ITT: a bag of dicks

I am untuned waiting to snipe a jb1/4. Upgraded smfw clutch. Getting tires next then JB.

I love my shifter mods. I think you really are going to want to mod your transmission to be nicer. It's sooo smooth that I find it vague and don't get enough response that I'm in gear or not.

I added metal shift bushings, removed my bleeder valve delay, a clutch stop to get rid of the dead zone at the bottom of the pedal and installed the 034 dogbone insert. Now, shifting is clear although long, the clutch engages the moment I expect it to, the clutch disengages the moment I expect it to, and downshifts are solid, fast and land exactly where I want it to.

Cheers!

Joel

Ready to race!
Got the JB4 yesterday, ordered Friday night.
Have to say that they are on point with the shipping.

Have not installed, want to at least order a clutch first.
Call me lazy if you want, but I will wait until I get the first sign of slip to change it out... and I will post up with the info.

I am thinking the Sachs SRE, or TTRS DIY.
At this point I am slightly leaning towards the DIY as it is a sprung disc.
I have read about more wear and tear on the drivetrain from non sprung discs, not sure if this is something I need to be concerned with...
And it could be I am looking at a generic picture of the Sachs SRE that shows an unsprung disc.
Is there any reason to look at one or the other, or just flip a coin?