GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Pay to Play" learned the hard way

abaptis17

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry for that annoying rhyme.

I just wanted to share a story with you guys. I bought the APR short shifter and when I went to secure the primary lever in the trans gear sector shaft, as I was torquing it down (to 17ft.-lbs) the rod broke. Thats a $500+ repair.

Thanks for reading

abaptis17

Passed Driver's Ed
The time it takes to change gears adds up - even if its a split second. Shorting the throw distance means less time changing gears.

Afrobaron

Ready to race!
The time it takes to change gears adds up - even if its a split second. Shorting the throw distance means less time changing gears.

Get a DSG, time spent shifter is much reduced even when driving in the "DSG Manual Mode". And the rev matching of the ECU on shifts makes thing smoother as well as holding a very small amount of more boost. :)

Oh and my MKV was a 6pd stick so I have experience in both.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

Yeah, but where?
If you track your car and are concerned with fractions of a second, I guess I get this.

But people do mods like this for street use, where 99% of the time it's not going to net them anything.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
what benefits does a short shifter actually do (apart from change gear slightly quicker i guess)?

The main benefit of a short shifter is not faster shifts. It is to improve overall shifter feel and engagement. Going from the stock shifter to a full setup like Dieselgeek on this transmission is night and day and many people claim it is the best mod they have ever done.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Am I understanding that you broke that shaft at 17 ft-lbs?

abaptis17

Passed Driver's Ed
Get a DSG, time spent shifter is much reduced even when driving in the "DSG Manual Mode". And the rev matching of the ECU on shifts makes thing smoother as well as holding a very small amount of more boost. :)

Oh and my MKV was a 6pd stick so I have experience in both.

I didn't want the DSG.

Yeah, but where?
If you track your car and are concerned with fractions of a second, I guess I get this.

But people do mods like this for street use, where 99% of the time it's not going to net them anything.

valid, I haven tracked my car yet but, as the guy said below I do like the feel of it a lot better

The main benefit of a short shifter is not faster shifts. It is to improve overall shifter feel and engagement. Going from the stock shifter to a full setup like Dieselgeek on this transmission is night and day and many people claim it is the best mod they have ever done.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have just done my audi TT version & did the shaft up hand tight which was = to 8lbft & then nipped it with a torque wrench to 10lbft.........

also did you counter hold the weighted arm (i.e. you torque against yourself.......)whilst you did the shaft up?..........

abaptis17

Passed Driver's Ed
I have just done my audi TT version & did the shaft up hand tight which was = to 8lbft & then nipped it with a torque wrench to 10lbft.........

also did you counter hold the weighted arm (i.e. you torque against yourself.......)whilst you did the shaft up?..........

I did torque it against myself but, anyway everything will be all fixed up Wednesday. After that I'll go back in myself and adjust the side-to-side and front-to-back