GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P00AF00 Wastegate

madwazzabi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Atbhn PP
That's if your actuator rod still has some movement. If the linkage joint just outside the wastegate flapper is siezed up tight I'd spray some penetrating oil. In my case I sprayed a bit of liquid wrench each night for a whole week. Still couldn't free the joint under my own strength but took it for a drive and that broke it loose. After that, I put on the anti seize. I used Permatex 77134 Nickel Anti-Seize.

milan187

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you, yeah I cant get mine to move at all with my hand. I guess I will keep spraying and trying.
Hoping this will resolve the issue.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Sounds like it's just partially seized. It cools off and a bit of corrosion forms. You start it and it can't move freely, CEL. As you drive it moves back and forth and frees up. Cycle repeats. Just need to get some lube in that pivot point so it can move freely on startup.

madwazzabi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Atbhn PP
For me, my car never went to limp mode. I would suspect it is all dependent on what position your flapper siezed at. Those that have mentioned limp mode had the flapper fully in the closed position. Mine was partially open, like 15%. Still ran sluggish until it I got it loose.

I also found that if you are on a cleared condition, the CEL didn't pop up until after the engine was up to rated COOLANT temp. Once you get the first CEL, then it keeps popping up during startup.

Actuator mainly operates during throttle operation under load since it is controlling boost. I believe you can also operate it using OBD11 and I recall there being mention on other threads that at startup it does a close to open check.

milan187

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks like I'll be good. After a few sprays I can now move it with my hand. No jerks and no EPC light.

At this point should I just out anti seize on it and leave it?

Also I'm getting smoke from where I put the lube when the turbo warms up. No issue I guess?

Thank you guys!

themyst

Ready to race!
Bone stock 2016 GTI S, this issue happened to me at around 72k miles, actuator arm definitely rusted/seized, waiting on my order of lube to try and unstick it. Same AF00 code, only happens when cars been sitting for a while, and the EPC light goes away after restarting the car. This thread is a lifesaver!