GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ordered 4Motion Sportwagen

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Yep, still no answer as to when for the manual other than 1st quarter next year. I wasn't sure what to expect from the S 4motion since most of the press only mentioned it in passing but I was able to drive one on Saturday and now I can't wait, Damn you VW buy my TDI already.

Last edited:

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Picked up my car on Monday. The dealer happened to receive the color I was looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_0526.JPG
    IMG_0526.JPG
    313.2 KB · Views: 1,451
  • IMG_0528.JPG
    IMG_0528.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 1,128
  • IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 1,143
Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
And let the modding begin.

Congrats.
Love to hear driving impressions.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
And let the modding begin.

Congrats.
Love to hear driving impressions.

I love it so far. It rides very nice and smooth much like my wife's TDI Golf Sportwagen. It is faster than her TDI but not quite as much low end torque. I can spin the tires pretty well in her car but this one just hooks up and goes. I am going to swap in some coils and sway bars to make it handle more like my MK6 Golf TDI that came with a sport tuned suspension. And I already have an IS20 turbo for it but that will wait awhile before install.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
That should be a beast with Unitronic tune and awd.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
That should be a beast with Unitronic tune and awd.

Update, I had to go to the store after work today and it was raining pretty good outside. I have already deactivated the torque limiter "starting vibration reduction" per another thread here and performed the ESC/ASR mod via Vag-Com, I put the DSG in sport mode, deactivated ASR and ESC via long press on the TC button and could barely get about a half turn of spin out of the front tires and then instant traction. This was while turning on to the main road from a side street from a dead stop in the rain. With a tune on the stock turbo it would be pretty impressive, with the turbo swap it will be pretty damn interesting.

The DSG in this car is geared lower than my MK6 TDI Golf's 6spd manual with a wider spread between gear ratio's and that helps with the lower torque rating of this engine over the TDI. 1st gear is much lower plus a wider powerband with this engine, so you spend a bit more time in 1st before needing to shift to 2nd gear.

The gear ratio's are as follows

4Motion Wagen Overall gear ratio.
1st 15.15
2nd 8.3
3rd 4.9
4th 3.3
5th 2.5
6th 2.0

MK6 Golf TDI 6spd Manual Overall gear ratio.
1st 13.0
2nd 6.76
3rd 4.34
4th 3.0
5th 2.37
6th 1.98

Overall this car feels a fair bit quicker than my TDI so if I can get it to handle in the ballpark of a GTI coupled with an IS20 tune and a DSG tune, it will make for a very fun daily commuter.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Can you confirm which DSG trans is in the car? Is it the same one as the GTI?

It is the DSG 6 speed gear box. Same gear box that is in the GTI and R. It is however geared differently for each vehicle. It is also the same Haldex 5 4Motion set up that comes in the Golf R although I am sure it is tuned differently than the Golf R.

6-speed DSG 02E (DQ250 w/ wet clutches) since it's 4WD.

The 7-speed dry clutch DQ200 isn't made in a 4WD version
and the new DQ381 (also 7-speed but wet clutches) isn't
fitted yet to any Golf.

So as mentioned before basically same drivetrain as Golf R.

Atlatl

It is the DSG 6 speed gear box. Same gear box that is in the GTI and R. It is however geared differently for each vehicle. It is also the same Haldex 5 4Motion set up that comes in the Golf R although I am sure it is tuned differently than the Golf R.

6-speed DSG 02E (DQ250 w/ wet clutches) since it's 4WD.

The 7-speed dry clutch DQ200 isn't made in a 4WD version
and the new DQ381 (also 7-speed but wet clutches) isn't
fitted yet to any Golf.

So as mentioned before basically same drivetrain as Golf R.

Wow so it should have no trouble handling substantially increased power output! :D I wonder if the dry clutches are different, less grabby for a smoother ride therefor they wont handle as much power, or something along those lines.

The DQ200 dry clutches are certainly weeker, as the entire DQ200 gearbox is weaker,
smaller and less weight. Theses clutches cannot handle as much torque (250 Nm max),
and I'm sure their pads are designed to run dry, while the DQ250 (380 Nm max) clutch
pack runs in oil, thus is designed to do so.