GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ordered 4Motion Sportwagen

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Ordered 2 2017 4Motion Sportwagen's. One Silk Blue DSG for the wife and one Platinum Grey Metallic 6spd Manual for me. Both TSI. Now the wait begins. We are both turning in a TDI for the buy back option.

Attachments

• 160801190231_0001.pdf
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,234
  • 160801190231_0002.pdf
    130.9 KB · Views: 843
  • 160801190231_0003.pdf
    159.9 KB · Views: 794

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Congrats.
2 peas in a pod.
Love that the 4 motion comes with the 6spd manual.
You can create a sportwagen R Jr now with the awd.

Also nice that tungsten silver is an option. I have platinum gray and wish that was available in 16.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Thank you, and yes, the goal is an R Sportwagen or as close to anyway. Lowered a bit with sport tuned suspension and a slightly tuned motor. Or as you pointed out an R Jr. since it won't be quite the same, but close enough for much less cash. Between my partnership discount and the fact that I am getting more for my TDI than I paid makes this a bargain really.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Yes only in the s models. but when 4motion is added heated seats are then included. 16 inch wheels instead of 15 and heated side mirrors as well. Also DSG or 6 speed manual for the 4motion option.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
4WD estate in UK is only with diesel engines in "alltrack" spec or DSG only "R" spec.............

I wanted a MANUAL petrol 4WD FFS VW!!!!

Aaarrrrggggghhh.......................

Well, with 4motion is gets the MQ350/02Q gearbox, basically same as R,
but with different gear ratios.
Clutch will be similar too, but at least exact same diameter of 240 mm as
with any 02Q.
So to me, it'll easily cope with some increase in torque, ideally close to
stock R values. I just don't think it'll make sense to reach peak power of
an R with the tiny 1.8 TSI IHI turbo. It's smaller than the GTI's IHI IS20.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
SNOBRDRDAN: The dealer said 8 to 12 weeks but they are going to work with me on my TDI buy back. I am hoping VW will resolve that in time so I don't have to wait longer than that to pick it up. The Alltrack will be available in manual for SE as well but the 4motion GSW is S model only.

FASTLAX16: Mexico. The good news is that the Mexico plant was completely retooled for the MK7 and again to handle the 4motion. Both retools were with Fanuc Robots. Very nice automation systems so I have heard(I work for them. lol) Also the wife currently has a 2015 GSW SEL TDI and it has been a great car. She had a MK6 Jetta before that without any problems. We were a little hesitant when we bought the Jetta knowing it was from Mexico but honestly it didn't have any noticeable build issues.

BREAKING BADLY: I was originally shopping a Golf R but 2017 will only offer a fully loaded 40k+ starting price and the insurance would be more than double the Sportwagen. That is why this will be more like a R jr. An APR stage 2 is plenty. I can make it handle like an R or real close and I just want it to move a bit. As it stands now, I drive a MK6 TDI with sport suspension. If it handles and drives as good or better than it will be great. Hopefully they come out with a turbo upgrade tune and maybe I can ramp it up a little more. However this is not a race car just a daily. I am building a Lotus 7 replica for track days.

Last edited:

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
That price is not bad, the 4Motion Sportwagen should handle better than the version on stilts. If they'd offered 6MT on 2 door TSI I'd not be looking into GTI. This would be such a balanced package.
Enjoy.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
lucyfek: It would be a nice balance. I don't understand the 5spd manual either. At least offer the 6spd or the DSG as an upgrade with all of the TSI's and they might sell many more cars. The 6spd and DSG option with the 4motion sold me on both, one for me the other for the wife. Amazingly the wife TDI GSW on stilts(lol) is not that bad. It's no GTI but it rides real nice and isn't too bad with the beam axle. It handles better than I would have expected but yeah a little lower and better handling would be great.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Do you feel like you gave up a lot getting the S though, option wise?
(as opposed to a AllTrack SE with manual & more options)

It looks like the 4motion S just gains 16" wheels and heated front seats, over a FWD S...right?

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Do you feel like you gave up a lot getting the S though, option wise?
(as opposed to a AllTrack SE with manual & more options)

It looks like the 4motion S just gains 16" wheels and heated front seats, over a FWD S...right?

That is correct. You just get the heated seats and 16" wheels. The only thing I am disappointed about is no lighting package. An earlier press release stated you would be able to add the lighting package but that has changed. Leather seats would have been nice but other than that I don't care for anything else really. I don't use the sun roof in my current car and the nav radio cost to much for updates. With the new radio I can get all the missing options through car play from my phone. I don't need park assist or driver assist and would not have added them anyway. I am also not a fan of the higher ride height or plastic body cladding on the Alltrack. Being the base model makes it very inexpensive and I can make it exactly what I want for a really affordable price in the end. I really think they are missing out on a lot of sales by not offering it across the board. On the other hand that would probably cut into sales of the more expensive Alltrack.