GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

One year/10k intervals, really???

EinDog

Hi All,

I’m a noob to the Golf R, so apologies for the naïveté. I come from Japanese cars (Honda/Subaru), which typically run a 3.5k oil change interval. Is it accurate that my first oil change is supposed to happen at 10k miles (or about a year from production)? Seems waaaaay too long. Also, I think my car is slowly burning oil. By the time I get to 10k, it will likely be below or at the bottom of the appropriate deep stick level. What oil should I re-fill it with? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
With synthetic oils, even Japanese cars do not have a recommended 3.5k mile interval. For example, the civic service schedule says every 7500 miles. The "recommended" 3k interval hasn't been true for over 2 decades.

On my '02 WRX I did 7k mile intervals, where the few UOAs I did seemed just fine. On the VW, I'm too lazy to remember a 7k interval, so I just do every 5k. I also do more track days and short trip driving now, so it puts more wear on the oil. If I wasn't tracking or my commute gets the oil to temp, I would have no problem going to 10k miles.

I haven't burnt any noticeable amount of oil, including 2 track days. It stays dead center of the dipstick.

As for oil, I use German Castrol. It's cheap, it meets VW's standards, and it's readily available at WalMart. Also, AutoZone has unannounced super sales, where it drops to $2/qt, every once in a blue moon.

EinDog

Thanks @DarkArrow. I do 3,750 intervals on my Subaru WRX because I followed the “severe” driving service recommendation (and it was recommended by Subaru for their turbo cars). My commute is bumper-to-bumper traffic everyday. For VW, is there not a distinction between “severe” and “normal” driving conditions that would dictate service schedules?

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Yes, the 10K interval is true. If you get a tune and drive the car hard, then every 5K it should be changed. When I was Stage 2, I still followed the 10K interval because my oil was fine. Now that I went BT, I'll be changing it every 5K.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
All cars burn oil during break-in and shortly after. No matter what the change interval is, one should always check fluid levels on a regular basis. This avoids a catastrophe as well as alerts you to possible issues early on.

That said, I change the oil in both my GTi's (MK5, MK7) between 7-7.5K miles. It's between the old rule of thumb 5K miles and manufacturer recommended 10K miles.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
The Japanese don't do 3.5K oil changes.

In the past, it's 7500 miles mile changes, maybe dropping down to 5000 mile oil changes.

the 3,000 mile oil change is oil-school marketing.

Also, in the past their oils have been conventional oil, but as they go to thinner viscosities, such as 0w20, they are transitioning to more synthetic oil

Toyota's that are certified for 0w20, have 10,000 mile oil change intervals, which is a synthetic oil.

For oil:
Go to your local Walmart and pick up what ever is cheapest of:
Mobil 1 0w40 FS
Castrol Syntec 0w40
Pennzoil Platinum 0w40

All three of those have VW502.00 certifications.

Oil filter: order online.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I do 7.5k just so my tire rotation can be at the same time. I'm tuned but mainly high mileage highway use. Just do an oil analysis and that will tell you what it should be. Any 502 oil M1 Castrol Liquimoly is just fine. I'm sure 10k on mine would be fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think the thing you have to keep in mind is that 1) oils are MUCH better all the way around than they were when many of these "standards" were set and 2) fuels are MUCH better than they were. Look up used oil analyses (UOAs) for VWs using the usual oils...plenty showing that 10K is just fine but this will vary with your use (heavy-duty stop/go vs. highway cruising). I did 10Ks on my old MK4 Jetta b/c it was seeing nearly 30K a year highway at one point...damn thing is still running at 270K...lubrication-related issues are just so rare if you use the recommended oil/recommend oil change intervals (OCIs). Go over to bobistheoilguy.com if you want to fully nerd-out on oils, OCIs, UOAs, etc.!