GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

On the fence to keep it or turn in?

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I was really surprised how much plastic was under the hood of car that cost's almost 29k. Seems like that would be a real no no with a turbo engine.

It is no different than any other modern car. BMWs 2-3x times the cost of GTI have been using plastic stuff for quite some time...plastic oil pans, plastic cooling system components, plastic water pump housings, plastic intake manifolds, plastic radiator housings, etc...

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
So I have a 2017 GTI sport with 24k and it has really been one of my favorite cars in recent memory.
Does everything I need and drives great. . . . should keep this car I really like or should I just
turn this car in and move to something else more reliable? [Emphasis added.] . . . .
Tell me more about the "something else more reliable." And I'm not questioning the fact that there are cars that are more reliable than those manufactured by VW. We know that. (E.g., Toyota's Corolla, for example.) But I am curious as to what you'd choose or consider in your quest for more reliability. (Let me add, I'm not trying to start a food fight here. I'm just genuinely curious as to where you are on the fun/reliability curve.)

And if it adds anything to your thinking about whether you want to keep your V-Dub beyond the warranty period, you might want to watch one of the many YouTube clips there are that depict the work involved in replacing a Golf water pump. (This has been an issue with V-Dubs for decades, btw.) But it's one thing to replace a water pump on a V-Dub Rabbit and a whole 'nuther thing on a Mk7 Golf GTI.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Tell me more about the "something else more reliable." And I'm not questioning the fact that there are cars that are more reliable than those manufactured by VW. We know that. (E.g., Toyota's Corolla, for example.) But I am curious as to what you'd choose or consider in your quest for more reliability. (Let me add, I'm not trying to start a food fight here. I'm just genuinely curious as to where you are on the fun/reliability curve.)

And if it adds anything to your thinking about whether you want to keep your V-Dub beyond the warranty period, you might want to watch one of the many YouTube clips there are that depict the work involved in replacing a Golf water pump. (This has been an issue with V-Dubs for decades, btw.) But it's one thing to replace a water pump on a V-Dub Rabbit and a whole 'nuther thing on a Mk7 Golf GTI.

That's the deal, what fun car offers as much value for 30k that's more reliable. And if anyone says Mini, you deserve a kick to the gonads.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
That's the deal, what fun car offers as much value for 30k that's more reliable. And if anyone says Mini, you deserve a kick to the gonads.

Fun and as practical/reliable...there's not much this side of the pond but much more competition in Europe with some of the Renaults and Peugeots.

What I can't work out is why Hyundai hasn't released the i30n in NA...it would be some direct competition - that funky Veloster isn't quite the same.

BlackDog68

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16 GTI autobahn dsg

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

Still a Hyundai

1583938300575.jpeg

Can’t tell if they copied the old Mazda 3 or Saturn Astra more.

PureWhiteMk7

Go Kart Newbie

The car is really fun and perfect for my needs, I am just not that impressed with the engineering, assembly quality and apparent tolerances of the engine parts. I mean take the timing chain cover off and it has to be thrown away? There are so many plastic bits in this thing it kinda looks like a westworld robot from the 70’s. If you don’t look under the hood it’s great but the more I peak the less confident I become. If honda’s hadn’t become so ugly and had a hatch I may have switched to that. Honestly I have no idea what I would get.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
The car is really fun and perfect for my needs, I am just not that impressed with the engineering, assembly quality and apparent tolerances of the engine parts. I mean take the timing chain cover off and it has to be thrown away? There are so many plastic bits in this thing it kinda looks like a westworld robot from the 70’s. If you don’t look under the hood it’s great but the more I peak the less confident I become. If honda’s hadn’t become so ugly and had a hatch I may have switched to that. Honestly I have no idea what I would get.

All cars have moved to some of the same tendencies. Disposable parts are easier/faster to install/remove/replace and cheaper per unit than something that was “designed to last” but would likely be broken anyway.

As for Honda, I agree, not attractive anymore. Also their overall quality has slipped immensely over the last few years.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan

I wouldn't mind owning new Corolla with manual gearbox.

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
There are so many plastic bits in this thing it kinda looks like a westworld robot from the 70’s.
Show me one vehicle manufactured today that doesn't have plastic parts in the engine bay and elsewhere. Even a Bugatti Chiron engine has the same thermoplastic oil filter housing as the 2.0T has.

Hotsky

Ready to race!
Modern german cars (vw Audi bmw) aren't really made to be long term trouble free cars. They fun when they're new when everything still works but all that plastic and complex electronics will drain your wallet years down the road.

chrisk03

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI-AB DSG
Civic Type R (used), Si, or Touring (if want hatch), Mazda3 to name a few. Pros/cons to each vs GTI, but fun/value is pretty high for these vehicles, as well. Up to you to decide if that is "true" to you.

As for OP's specific situation, it sounds like minor issues to his GTI and wouldn't bother me much at all, especially if dealer is taking care of under warranty. Also, financially, you will probably be "worse-off" by dumping and getting something else. Personal opinion would be to stick with the GTI at only 24k miles and very little issues, but that's me. Good luck!