GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

On the fence to keep it or turn in?

PureWhiteMk7

Go Kart Newbie
So I have a 2017 GTI sport with 24k and it has really been one of my favorite cars in recent memory.
Does everything I need and drives great. I have changed my own oil every time and put on one set of tires.
The original battery went bad and was replaced under warranty. Recently I noticed a weird sound when
turning left and at certain idle temps which all of you know is usually the water pump or nearby parts.
Also noticed a ringing metallic sounds like a rubbing pulley or something similar. And finally on the
most recent oil change I noticed an oil leak coming from the valve cover gasket, not terrible but noted.
I kinda feel lucky that I pay attention to stuff like this so it didn't leave me in a worse predicament but the
overall feeling I have is maybe these cars have some really shitty parts and don't last...
am I wrong and should keep this car I really like or should I just
turn this car in and move to something else more reliable?

Oh and lastly everything is being fixed under warranty no questions asked this week by the dealer.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Has it been unreliable? Doesn't sound like it. I'd get those current concerns diagnosed and taken care of - or if they scare you, trade/sell at that point and move on.

The Mk7/7.5 hasn't been an unreliable car. There are a few minor problem areas, but overall, they've been solid. Sounds like you really like it, which makes me think you'll miss it if you dump it out of fear. Good luck whichever way you lean.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If
So I have a 2017 GTI sport with 24k and it has really been one of my favorite cars in recent memory.
Does everything I need and drives great. I have changed my own oil every time and put on one set of tires.
The original battery went bad and was replaced under warranty. Recently I noticed a weird sound when
turning left and at certain idle temps which all of you know is usually the water pump or nearby parts.
Also noticed a ringing metallic sounds like a rubbing pulley or something similar. And finally on the
most recent oil change I noticed an oil leak coming from the valve cover gasket, not terrible but noted.
I kinda feel lucky that I pay attention to stuff like this so it didn't leave me in a worse predicament but the
overall feeling I have is maybe these cars have some really shitty parts and don't last...
am I wrong and should keep this car I really like or should I just
turn this car in and move to something else more reliable?

Oh and lastly everything is being fixed under warranty no questions asked this week by the dealer.

If it's being fixed under warranty, then keep it another 24k miles and don't worry about it.

All cars are now build with cheap plastic crap that fails like that. By the time it fails again, the aftermarket will have a better solution.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
There cars are a hit or miss. From the sound of it, you got a miss car.. my GTI and Golf-R have had zero problems from the factory.. well, the Golf-R's assembly was a bit subpar, but everything works as it should, no leaks..

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I’d at least look into lemon law in your state and see if you should start a claim. 24k and already new tires and a valve cover? Sounds like a lemon to me. I‘m a glutton for punish, i was a Saab guy, then a VW guy, when they’re good they’re great when they’re not they REALLY suck!

Lemon law for consumables and a valve cover gasket?!?!

LOL

Op: if you love it drive it. Spend a few bucks and get the niggling issues sorted before they get massive. If at that point the cost is excessive, dump the car.

I’m willing to bet you’ll spend far less on fixes, then the losses seen dumping the car and buying something new.

Last edited:

PureWhiteMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah I wasn't thinking this is a lemon, just wondering if all these cheap parts fail much sooner than I am used to.
Also they did not really fail as I caught them and dealer agreed to replace before catastrophically failing. Nice of them I think right?
The tires I replaced cause the bridgstones suck and I did sell them for $100 and scored a super deal on a set of Michelin Pilot sport 4S's for $690 new.

What parts should I look out for replacing next as the 30 to 50k range approaches?

jits

I’d at least look into lemon law in your state and see if you should start a claim. 24k and already new tires and a valve cover? Sounds like a lemon to me. I‘m a glutton for punish, i was a Saab guy, then a VW guy, when they’re good they’re great when they’re not they REALLY suck!

Although lemon law varies by state, usually key elements include the timing of when the first issue occurs (within x number of miles or x number of months/first year) and the number of times a dealer attempted to repair the issue. If OP feels the car is a lemon, then I would recommend checking the state lemon law criteria first.

As for the car, I would lean towards "punting" on making a decision, for now. Dealer is fixing everything under warranty, and you have only 24k miles on it. See how you feel after you get the car back. If you keep experiencing issues, then perhaps I would start to think about my options. My personal experience, I had a '15 GTI that had a wheel bearing failure and e-brake assembly that had to be replaced in the first two years. Not major issues (and certainly different from what you're going through), but those didn't take away from my experience. It's an apples to oranges comparison. Sorry...had to add that dad joke lol

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yeah I wasn't thinking this is a lemon, just wondering if all these cheap parts fail much sooner than I am used to.
Also they did not really fail as I caught them and dealer agreed to replace before catastrophically failing. Nice of them I think right?
The tires I replaced cause the bridgstones suck and I did sell them for $100 and scored a super deal on a set of Michelin Pilot sport 4S's for $690 new.

What parts should I look out for replacing next as the 30 to 50k range approaches?

It isn't nice of them, they simply honored VW's warranty. You shouldn't look to replace anything unless you're having a problem with something. Just follow the maintenance schedule and enjoy the car that VW is fixing, as they agreed to when you bought it if something went wrong. Especially make sure the VAQ service gets done, as most dealers don't even know it requires 30k mile servicing.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
What is the VAQ service?

Your differential service:.

BTW, I also have a 24k mile 2017 GTI Sport. Very very slow coolant leak and I've also replaced the battery...minor stuff. 24k is nothing...I've got zero intent to get rid of this car till it's old and knackered.

Edit: I do however struggle to understand, after multiple generations, why VW has not been able to get a watertight seal on the pump/thermostat housing....basics, surely?

Last edited:

PureWhiteMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Your differential service:.

BTW, I also have a 24k mile 2017 GTI Sport. Very very slow coolant leak and I've also replaced the battery...minor stuff. 24k is nothing...I've got zero intent to get rid of this car till it's old and knackered.

Edit: I do however struggle to understand, after multiple generations, why VW has not been able to get a watertight seal on the pump/thermostat housing....basics, surely?

I was really surprised how much plastic was under the hood of car that cost's almost 29k. Seems like that would be a real no no with a turbo engine.