GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil level too high?

WhiteSilvermk7

Passed Driver's Ed
I know this topic has been covered before in other threads but there wasn't really a for sure answer so I'm asking lol. My oil looks high on my 2018 GTI. I believe it's the factory fill and I have 800 miles. The picture was taken 10 minutes after turning the car off at operating temp.

Attachments

• oildipstick.jpg
    oildipstick.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 2,661

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Yes it does look high. Check it when the oil is cold and the car on a level surface. It might be slightly over full.

WhiteSilvermk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes it does look high. Check it when the oil is cold and the car on a level surface. It might be slightly over full.

I'm planning on doing an oil change at 1k. Do you think it will be okay for another 200 miles? It looks like it may be in the "B" area looking at the picture in the manual which is like right before over filled.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
There's a diagram of the dipstick in the manual. Based on what I recall, it's hard to tell if yours is within the overfilled range or just at the bottom border of it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
I'm planning on doing an oil change at 1k. Do you think it will be okay for another 200 miles? It looks like it may be in the "B" area looking at the picture in the manual which is like right before over filled.

The engine is not going to blow up. The reason they don't want people to over fill the oil is because some might go out the exhaust and cause the CAT to run hot. That usually only occurs with high RPM use so 200 miles should be fine with reasonable driving.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
It looks a tad high. However, most engine manufactures design for slight overage. It is not like you are a quart or two over where engine damage will occur. My understanding is with more oil then designed the engine pressure will increase beyond what seals are designed to withstand potentially resulting in seals leaking. If it was me, I would remove enough oil to get within the serrated area of dip stick at operating temperature.

WhiteSilvermk7

Passed Driver's Ed
It looks a tad high. However, most engine manufactures design for slight overage. It is not like you are a quart or two over where engine damage will occur. My understanding is with more oil then designed the engine pressure will increase beyond what seals are designed to withstand potentially resulting in seals leaking. If it was me, I would remove enough oil to get within the serrated area of dip stick at operating temperature.
How much do you think needs removed? It looks like it is only .5qt high or so.

zero10

Ready to race!
The risk with overfilling the oil is that excessive oil vapour / mist will be produced and consumed by the engine causing excessive deposits and shortening the life of the catalytic converter. If the oil is excessively overfilled immediate mechanical damage can occur but that's... well, many liters over before that happens.

I'd say you are 0.25 - 0.5L over full which maybe the absolute purists may be concerned by but I wouldn't worry at all about the fill level.

Also, you said you're planning to change the oil at 1k, perhaps give the used oil analysis thread (one post below this one right now) a skim and decide if you'd prefer to save some money and not waste a few liters of oil by leaving the factory fill in there for the recommended interval.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Don't waste your time removing oil, just drive it.

A slight overage is irrelevant.

WhiteSilvermk7

Passed Driver's Ed
The risk with overfilling the oil is that excessive oil vapour / mist will be produced and consumed by the engine causing excessive deposits and shortening the life of the catalytic converter. If the oil is excessively overfilled immediate mechanical damage can occur but that's... well, many liters over before that happens.

I'd say you are 0.25 - 0.5L over full which maybe the absolute purists may be concerned by but I wouldn't worry at all about the fill level.

Also, you said you're planning to change the oil at 1k, perhaps give the used oil analysis thread (one post below this one right now) a skim and decide if you'd prefer to save some money and not waste a few liters of oil by leaving the factory fill in there for the recommended interval.
Oddly I did the change early at 900 since I figured 100 miles wouldn't matter much. I'm glad I did because I exctracted 6.5 litres so it was almost a litre high. I put 5.7 litres exactly of liquid moly high-tech 5w40 and am just above the middle of the hatched area? That ks for the response!

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Yeah, unless you have an extractor just leave it. That's on the high side but your engine can eat oil so I'd just let it be.

I poured all 6 liters in my Golf-R the other day (Liqui Moly oil change kit).

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I think you're okay. I seem to recall an illustration that shows you're at MAX with the level above the crosshatch as seen in your photo. I used to shoot for that level, but now fill to the top of the crosshatch.

SRoads

Ready to race!
Looks like whatever dealer hairless ape... PDI'd it before sale. Ran the car, shut it off, immediately checked the oil without giving it a couple of mins to run back into the sump was below the max and added 1/4 -1/3 of a quart.

With the car running it is probably right at the max part of the dip stick (the top of the bent section). Which is not ideal...but will not harm anything during normal commuter driving.

With a brand new car, I do any oil change somewhere between 1000-1500mi anyway to start washing out some of the break in contaminates. If you have the car leased or don't plan on keeping it more the 4-5 years (most people), don't worry about it.

WhiteSilvermk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks like whatever dealer hairless ape... PDI'd it before sale. Ran the car, shut it off, immediately checked the oil without giving it a couple of mins to run back into the sump was below the max and added 1/4 -1/3 of a quart.

With the car running it is probably right at the max part of the dip stick (the top of the bent section). Which is not ideal...but will not harm anything during normal commuter driving.

With a brand new car, I do any oil change somewhere between 1000-1500mi anyway to start washing out some of the break in contaminates. If you have the car leased or don't plan on keeping it more the 4-5 years (most people), don't worry about it.
I got about 6.5 liters out when I changed the oil which was way more than I was expecting. I'm glad the oil filter gave me an excuse to get a torque wrench too lol.