GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Change Dilemma-Question(s)

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I don't blame the OP for being paranoid. In my experience, I have never had (or VERY rarely had) a mechanic do a "careful" job. They always seem to screw something up. I don't mind if they screw up small fixable things, but if they damage the paint, that's serious.
In order to work around this, I just do all the maintenance on the cars that I care about. I bought a lift so I can work like a gentleman. I HIGHLY recommend this route if you love your car, have the ability, and enjoy doing it!View attachment 161212

Bro, not everybody can afford to put a nice lift in their garage. This is a VW forum, not a Ferrari forum.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I ❤ my extractor.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Bro, not everybody can afford to put a nice lift in their garage. This is a VW forum, not a Ferrari forum.
Good point, but they are not as much as some people think. I’ll bet you that it cost me a lot less than the mods that people do on their cars.
As a matter of fact, it’s about the price of a set of wheels and tires.
so, it’s really not a matter of money. It’s more about preference/priorities, and even more so, ceiling height/space.

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
They told you $120 to get you to leave.

That's the going rate to deal with someone that's going to invariably complain about how someone sat in their seat the wrong way.

The car is going to be worthless in a few years just like every other mass produced car is. Enjoy the damn thing, you're not sitting on an Enzo here that's going to appreciate in value.

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
They are not all trash. I go to a quick change place and bring my own oil and filter and they charge me $10. I am in the work area with my car at all times. When they are finished I'm the one who starts my car and shuts it off so they can check the dipstick which actually is silly because I know the correct amount of oil went in the engine. And please don't recommend that I just get an extractor and save the $10 bucks. It takes 10 minutes and I couldn't use an extractor and then take the oil somewhere to recycle in 10 minutes.

At that point, you should just buy a set of ramps and do it yourself. I can do it in less than 15 minutes with a set of rhino ramps and pulling the plug out.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
That's the going rate to deal with someone that's going to invariably complain about how someone sat in their seat the wrong way.

The car is going to be worthless in a few years just like every other mass produced car is. Enjoy the damn thing, you're not sitting on an Enzo here that's going to appreciate in value.

But it's HIS car. And he probably doesn't want to look at scuffed up leather every time he gets in the car. It has nothing to do with value with people like him (and me).

At that point, you should just buy a set of ramps and do it yourself. I can do it in less than 15 minutes with a set of rhino ramps and pulling the plug out.

I couldn't agree with you more. I have actually forgone FREE services on my cars, just to avoid the dealer touching them. That's how you know I'm nuts, lol

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Given your mixed up priorities (it’s just a car) you should do it yourself. I’ve been annoyed by my seat being in a new position after a service but isn’t it better that the tech be comfortable when he moves my car? Oh, and they use those heavy paper seat protectors and floor mats.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
1576027941793.jpg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Waste of time when I can get it done for $10 and don't have to take the oil somewhere to recycle.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Given your mixed up priorities (it’s just a car) you should do it yourself. I’ve been annoyed by my seat being in a new position after a service but isn’t it better that the tech be comfortable when he moves my car? Oh, and they use those heavy paper seat protectors and floor mats.
Not all dealerships are that careful. Definitely not around here, that's for sure.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Waste of time when I can get it done for $10 and don't have to take the oil somewhere to recycle.
Not a waste of time to know that it was done right and that the proper oil was used. I have heard of people leaving and insufficient oil was put in the engine.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Man... I'm pretty OCD but this is honestly the first time I've come across someone more so than I am.

If you're concerned about the quality of the work being done and you've had success with the dealership before, just take it back to the dealership.

There's things that are harmless and things that are harmful. For instance, seat being moved... that's not harmful. You can just move the seat back.

If they leave oil smudges on your headliner or scratch your paint... that's harmful/damaging. I would be concerned about that.

But like people have said... if you are this concerned... then pick up an oil extractor or ramps and do the oil change yourself.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Not a waste of time if you want to know it was done 100% correctly. Takes 2 minutes to put the ramps on the ground, line them up, and drive the car onto them. Drop the oil off at the dump on a Sunday while running other errands - no problem.