GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Official" Lap Times Thread

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Ok. Good to know. I’ll likely keep my fraction toe in at the rear for now. I have two big brake zones at VIR and don’t need the rear fighting me when I’m trying to get slowed down.
Will go full stiff on my 034 RSB as it’s easy to undo at the track.

Im curious how much heat my APR tune is contributing. Heck it’s all under control now, after adding a bunch of cooling headroom. Also curious how much time Ed spends on modifying the traction control by gear and steering angle for track junkies like us. IS38 and FWD takes some right foot throttle control to get through corners.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
personal best at Laguna today by around 6 seconds, got the ol wagon down to 1:55.33 as the best. On that lap the got got a little loose coming out of turn 3 and stability control cut power massively on corner exit, had to lift completely then floor it to get it normal again. Per the Garmin Catalyst my optimal lap was 1:53.2, I was on pace for that time once but caught traffic exiting turn 10. All told, super happy, my goal for the day was just to get under 2 minutes.

Track name: Laguna Seca
Track location: CA
Lap time: 1:55.33
Year/model: 2019 Golf Sportwagen 4motion manual
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3475
Estimated wheel horsepower: 211 (per APR..)
Fuel: 87
Tire size and model: 255/40r17 Hankook RS4
Estimated ambient temperature: degrees
Notes on setup :
‘19 Golf Sportwagen 4motion manual
APR stage 1 87 tune
APR 350mm front brake kit
GTI powerpack rear brakes
Bilstein B16
034 camber mounts
Super pro front control arms
034 front and rear swaybars
17x9 Apex SM-10
255/40R17 Hankook R-S4
-2.1 front camber, -1.7 rear, 0 toe front, .1 toe in rear

t

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Well, I couldn’t quite manage the same success as Ckuhns, but I did set a .1s PR, just not the time I was aiming for. I had a combo of heavy traffic and just pure bad luck in the three sessions I did. This was the only clean lap I had on the day.

Lap time: 1:46.143
Year/model: 2017 GTI S
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3400 (passenger)
Estimated wheel horsepower: 330
Fuel: 91
Tire size and model: 245/40r17 Hankook RS4
Estimated ambient temperature: 70F
Notes on setup: EQT stage 2, EQT coilovers, Stoptech ST60 w/ Pagid RSL29, Eibach RSB, 17x9 Apex SM-10

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
personal best at Laguna today by around 6 seconds, got the ol wagon down to 1:55.33 as the best. On that lap the got got a little loose coming out of turn 3 and stability control cut power massively on corner exit, had to lift completely then floor it to get it normal again. Per the Garmin Catalyst my optimal lap was 1:53.2, I was on pace for that time once but caught traffic exiting turn 10. All told, super happy, my goal for the day was just to get under 2 minutes.

Lap time: 1:55.33
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3475
Estimated wheel horsepower: 211 (per APR..)
Fuel: 87
Estimated ambient temperature: degrees
Notes on setup :
APR stage 1 87 tune
APR 350mm front brake kit
GTI powerpack rear brakes
Bilstein B16
034 camber mounts
17x9 Apex SM-10
255/40R17 Hankook R-S4
-2.1 front camber, -1.7 rear, 0 toe front, .1 toe in rear

t
You were track racing the car with 87 octane? Wow, didn't know one can do that. Very impressive.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Well, I couldn’t quite manage the same success as Ckuhns, but I did set a .1s PR, just not the time I was aiming for. I had a combo of heavy traffic and just pure bad luck in the three sessions I did. This was the only clean lap I had on the day.

Lap time: 1:46.143
Year/model: 2017 GTI S
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3400 (passenger)
Estimated wheel horsepower: 330
Tire size and model: 245/40r17 Hankook RS4
Estimated ambient temperature: 70F
Notes on setup: EQT stage 2, EQT coilovers, Stoptech ST60 w/ Pagid RSL29, Eibach RSB, 17x9 Apex SM-10

Finally got around to watching the lap... Wow, this is with a passenger.. should be easily .3 or more time to be had if going without passenger. Also, the lap seems very relaxed, no drama at all, almost leisurely, like not even trying...

You might consider turning on spot metering. it will allow the outside/road to be properly metered.

Amazing driving!

Last edited:

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Date: Jan 2, 2022, 9AM (first run session before tires were done)
Lap time: 1:47.4
Year/model: 2019 Golf R
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3470 (3300 + 170)
Estimated wheel horsepower: 260 WHP (290 stock power)
Tire size and model: 235/40r18 A052's, flipped inside out, near wear bars.
Estimated ambient temperature: 50F (9am run), turn 2 was full of water.
Notes on setup: completely stock power, stock suspension, clubsport knuckles (no alignment), H&R 26mm rear sway, Macan with R4 pads

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 2.45.49 PM.png

Last edited:

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Date: Jan 2, 2022, 9AM (first run session before tires were done)
Lap time: 1:47.4
Year/model: 2019 Golf R
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3470 (3300 + 170)
Estimated wheel horsepower: 260 WHP (290 stock power)
Tire size and model: 235/40r18 A052's, flipped inside out, near wear bars.
Estimated ambient temperature: 50F (9am run), turn 2 was full of water.
Notes on setup: completely stock power, stock suspension, clubsport knuckles (no alignment), H&R 26mm rear sway, Macan with R4 pads

View attachment 236887
After watching my lap and your lap back to back, it makes me want to just go ahead and do a IS20 swap so I can be in a similar spot power wise. At this point I think I'm going to see how quick a lap I can do as is before considering doing down that route.. I think I might be able to get down to maybe a 1:50ish as is? We shall see.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Finally got around to watching the lap... Wow, this is with a passenger.. should be easily .3 or more time to be had if going without passenger. Also, the lap seems very relaxed, no drama at all, almost leisurely, like not even trying...

You might consider turning on spot metering. it will allow the outside/road to be properly metered.

Amazing driving!

Thanks. I was using a different GoPro than normal and forgot to adjust the exposure settings, will update for next time. And yes the reason it looks pretty leisurely is because this was only about an 80% effort lap. This was the first open lap I had gotten all day so was building up to full pace. Unfortunately this ended up being my ONLY open lap of the day. I am confident I can do 1:44. Going back in Feb for another try.

SD-GTI

Car(s)
2020 GTI, 2019 M2C
Just ran at Chuckwalla on Sunday. First time there and my second event in this car, which I am still getting dialed in. Think I need camber plates next :)

Track name: Chuckwalla Valley Raceway
Track location: Desert Center, CA
Lap time: 2:10.25 was my fastest, also got a 2:10.93 seen below
Year/model: 2020 SE
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: Stock + 410 lbs (driver + instructor)
Estimated wheel horsepower: 290-300? Running an APR Stage 1 tune, never had it tested on a dyno
Fuel: 91 octane
Tire size and model: 235/40-17 Nitto NT01's
Estimated ambient temperature: 70 degrees
Notes on setup: APR Stage 1 tune, Bilstein B14 coilovers, PP brakes with Ferodo 2500 pads front and rear, RS3 brake ducts, TCR muffler

I started out with inconsistent times in the 2:15-2:20 range (ran seven 20 minute sessions over the course of two days out there). I had a PCA instructor in the car with me, which definitely helped. I got the 2:10.25 on the first day with traction control on full, but it was starting to become very intrusive on almost every turn. I wanted to turn it off, but my instructor didn't think that was a good idea.

On the second day, I switched TC to the limited "sport" setting and it was much more fun, allowing the car to slide and rotate a bit more. I only felt it kick in occasionally, and my overall times became a lot more consistent and I started logging a bunch of laps in the 2:12-14 range. I got my second fastest time that day, at 2:10.93. Used Harry's lap timer and an XGPS150A on my dash, which gave me some wonky results until I realized I needed to keep it running open and in the foreground on my phone.

7D322D2B-D2E8-4980-897D-28C6BACFFF52.PNG

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
After watching my lap and your lap back to back, it makes me want to just go ahead and do a IS20 swap so I can be in a similar spot power wise. At this point I think I'm going to see how quick a lap I can do as is before considering doing down that route.. I think I might be able to get down to maybe a 1:50ish as is? We shall see.
Only problem with IS20 is that you’ll need premium gas? Hehe

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Only problem with IS20 is that you’ll need premium gas? Hehe
Ha! In fairness, APR DOES offer a tune for the 1.8t with 87 octane, IS20 and OE downpipe... Though if I was doing that I'd also do the 91. I'm probably going to be having my car corner balanced before the 2/21 day, and the shop that I know can do it closest to be is a APR dealer, so if it's cheap I might just go ahead and change to 91 "while you're in there".

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Lap time: 1:47.5
Estimated ambient temperature: 60F
Year/model: 2017 GTI
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver & passenger: 3300
Estimated wheel horsepower: 300
Notes on setup:
Power train: 034 Stage 2, DSG tune, Racingline oil cooler, BRSK-ER12S plugs
Suspension: RSB, trailing arm, Dogbone, -2.5 camber F&R
Tires: 245/40r18 Hankook RS4, 6 track days, targeted hot pressure of 35psi F, 34psi R
Brakes: Stoptech 4 pot, 2 piece rotors, Pagid RS29 yellow

A good friend who's a much better driver than I rode with me and gave some great tips.

YouTube here:

Bern

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Lap time: 1:47.5
Estimated ambient temperature: 60F
Year/model: 2017 GTI
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver & passenger: 3300
Estimated wheel horsepower: 300
Notes on setup:
Power train: 034 Stage 2, DSG tune, Racingline oil cooler, BRSK-ER12S plugs
Suspension: RSB, trailing arm, Dogbone, -2.5 camber F&R
Tires: 245/40r18 Hankook RS4, 6 track days, targeted hot pressure of 35psi F, 34psi R
Brakes: Stoptech 4 pot, 2 piece rotors, Pagid RS29 yellow

A good friend who's a much better driver than I rode with me and gave some great tips.

YouTube here:

Bern
Nicely done! We’re neck to neck!

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
New personal best by a whole lot at Laguna today!

Previous best was a 1:55.33 a month ago, goal going into today was under 1:53, which I managed to do towards the end of the first session with a 1:52.17.

Close to 10min into my second session a S2000 went off on turn 5 into the tire wall (driver okay, I think he even drove it home!), however the session ended up ending early, so our group got a bonus session right at the end of the day. I almost skipped both the 5th session and the bonus session, but decided to do both. I almost beat the 1:52 in the 5th session but got caught behind a Focus RS who almost spun into turn 10, and decided I'd do the bonus session. Ended up doing really well in the bonus session besting the 1:52.17 and did two 1:51.34's back to back, but felt I had a little more I could do to clean things up. Last lap of the day I did a 1:50.55, which made me so stoked! My stretch goal has been to match the time Randy Pobst did in a stock MK7 GTI, which was 1:50.11, and that's seeming like it might be doable now!

Lap time: 1:50.55
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3510
Estimated wheel horsepower: 218 (per APR..)
Estimated ambient temperature: 50 degrees
Notes on setup :
APR stage 1 91 tune
APR 350mm front brake kit, Hawk DTC-60 pads
GTI powerpack rear brakes. Ferodo DS2500 pads
Bilstein B16
034 camber mounts