GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OBDELEVEN

thaseint

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
I love OBD11 but does anyone else have a hell of a time getting things to connect?

I'm using a Samsung tablet and although my wifi isn't totally solid at times it seems like it takes a good 10 minutes or so to get connected even with a good connection. Usually the connection fails and I have to keep retrying. It's a huge pain in the ass especially in a hot garage.

Is there a particular reason why Internet access is required? Why can't the connection just rely on Bluetooth?

Edit: So one of the reasons offered by OBD11 is that Internet access is used to save memory on the device by keeping the database online. Don't know about everyone else buy I feel like most tablets/phones have more than enough storage space to maintain the database on the device itself. It really can't be that large...

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I love OBD11 but does anyone else have a hell of a time getting things to connect?

I'm using a Samsung tablet and although my wifi isn't totally solid at times it seems like it takes a good 10 minutes or so to get connected even with a good connection. Usually the connection fails and I have to keep retrying. It's a huge pain in the ass especially in a hot garage.

Is there a particular reason why Internet access is required? Why can't the connection just rely on Bluetooth?

Edit: So one of the reasons offered by OBD11 is that Internet access is used to save memory on the device by keeping the database online. Don't know about everyone else buy I feel like most tablets/phones have more than enough storage space to maintain the database on the device itself. It really can't be that large...

Thasaint: Yes you are correct, OBD11 only stores a limited amount of information about your car locally, the vast majority of the database resides back at OBD11 head office.

Why this happens is open for speculation, but to a degree I suspect that it is due (in part) to the limited cache size on Android devices and the proliferation of other Apps the must share this memory. It is doubtless also due to the generally smaller storage memory on tablets/mobile phones. The other diagnostic device that is commonly used is VCDS - the size of the download file for that software is about 30 Mb (as a ZIP file)

But my belief is that the over-riding reason for keeping the database back at OBD11 HQ is IP security and perhaps it's also a way of dealing with the litigious nature of the VW group of companies (VAG is not able to access the OBD11 database- I suspect)

So- all good reasons for keeping large chunks of the OBD11 software out of your tablet/mobile phone!! :)

Don

adamweld

Did you check in the open/close settings in the infotainment system? There's usually an option to open all windows or driver's window. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Yes sorry I should have mentioned, it's set to "All Windows" and I've also changed it back and forth a few times to no avail.

gtigod

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys. I've got a 2017 mk7 Golf and have started playing around with the obdeleven, and evidently (as a few people have pointed out) many of the items are in different locations. I was wondering if anyone knows of an updated coding list for this car?

Also, I got comfort opening/closing to work from the key fob, but it will only actuate the driver's window. Any clue how to get it to work on all windows?

Thanks

I'd like to know that too...where's the master list for everything?

dub_guy

Ready to race!

So if you think about it, there is three parts to the setup:
- the dongle
- the app
- the database

AFAICT, there doesn't seem to be any way to update the dongle. the app presents the data that comes from the dongle, using the database as information.

If the DB was inside the app, every time OBD11 wanted to update a description or any information about any field, they would have to push a full new update through the store. With the database separate, they can update the DB, and everyone's information essentially updates in realtime in the app, worldwide. It makes an easier process for them.

What would be nice would be the ability to have an offline mode: while online, scan a car, download the relevant info, and then the app can run without needing Internet.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
For info take it as you will:

Having major issues with my OBD11. Went to do some coding last month, saw a few threads on staring vibration reduction among other things. Anyways I hadn't used the dongle for about three months prior and when connecting to it a firmware update was pushed to the device. I got a message that the update installed successfully. Unfortunately when I tried to connect to the dongle it would not connect basically just kept attempting but never succeeded. Anyways after multiple attempts I contacted IT support who after a week of emailing back and forth advised me to send the dongle back. If you were unaware their IT is in Lithuania. This is where it gets fun... after about three weeks of waiting and check on the status of shipment on Lithuania Post, the item is now being held up in customer for what reason I have no idea. This has been a nightmare hopefully none of you have to send your dongle back because you could be in for more a hassle than its honestly worth. As of right now I'm still in contact with customs via email but they're requesting all sorts of purchase documentation that I no longer have because let's face it the dongle was purchase back in September of '16 and who hangs onto purchase receipts for that long? Like I said hopefully none of you guys run into this issue because now I don't have the dongle and also may never get it back if I can't get it through customs.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone figure out how to program the car to do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIkEfBdpEXA

I got a big cat problem at work. Keeps leaving paw prints everywhere and scratching my paint.

mkygod: My solution - get yourself a hessian bag and half a brick. Then put the cat and the brick inside the bag and drive to the closest lake/large pond. Throw bag into the water and drive back to work - problem fixed and it only cost a bag and half a brick! :)

Don

PS: Don't use a full size brick - it's a waste of half a brick and the cat isn't worth the added expense (plus you can use the saved half brick for the next cat)!

BAZ3713

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey

So sorry if this has already been answered, but I would like to change my coming/leaving home lights to side lights and fogs , they are currently on headlight mode just now but not very sure on how to Change this over.

1 more question folks, if I buy h15 led bulbs for my mk7 will these work without the use of my obd.

Thanks barry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Hey

So sorry if this has already been answered, but I would like to change my coming/leaving home lights to side lights and fogs , they are currently on headlight mode just now but not very sure on how to Change this over.

1 more question folks, if I buy h15 led bulbs for my mk7 will these work without the use of my obd.

Thanks barry.

Bazza: For the fogs as CH/LH, do this:

For "side lights" which I assume are "Parking lights" in my language, do this but DON'T make the changes for the Headlights in my table:

As for substituting H5 LEDs, in theory they should be plug-and-play, but you might need to tweak the "Lastype" setting in the left/right Leuchte-set for the Headlights (not sure because it depends on the particular lamp)

Don

BAZ3713

Passed Driver's Ed

For "side lights" which I assume are "Parking lights" in my language, do this but DON'T make the changes for the Headlights in my table:

As for substituting H5 LEDs, in theory they should be plug-and-play, but you might need to tweak the "Lastype" setting in the left/right Leuchte-set for the Headlights (not sure because it depends on the particular lamp)

Don

Ok, thank you very much most appreciated.
Your the man don [emoji41][emoji1303]

BAZ3713

Passed Driver's Ed

Don

Hi don,

I have change all of the above settings, the fogs are working but only when C/H they dont work when L/H and also the side lights AKA parking lights are not working, have you any ideas.

Cheers barry.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Baz: not sure why LH doesn't work - I assume that you have the light sensor attached to the windscreen (behind the rear vision mirror). But I must have mis-read your requirements, because the purpose of the changes to the last table in my insert was to do just that - "turn-off CH/LH for Dot/Parking Light" (see the last column in the table).My bad

If you want the Parking light (dot) to turn-on with CH/LH, do the following:

Leuchte4TFL LB4- left side Parking light
Lichtfunktion G4 > Coming Home oder Leaving Home aktiv
Lichtfunktion H4 > not active
Dimmwert GH 4 > 100
Dimming Direction GH 4 > maximize

Leuchte5 TFL RB32-right side Parking light
Lichtfunktion G5 > Coming Home oder Leaving Home aktiv
Lichtfunktion G4 > not active
Dimmwert GH 5 > 100
Dimming Direction GH 5 > maximize

Don