GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No LED headlights on R...Why not???

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I don't see much of an advantage with LED's over HID's, except they are probably cheaper to manufacture/replace (if those benefits ever get passed down to the consumer), and that there is less current draw to light them.

phobos512

Ready to race!
I don't see much of an advantage with LED's over HID's, except they are probably cheaper to manufacture/replace (if those benefits ever get passed down to the consumer), and that there is less current draw to light them.

Ding ding ding

Also, of course the benefits won't be passed to the consumer - clearly they're already thought of as a luxury item.

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
I'm hearing LEDs will be part of the facelift with the new bumper and potential for digital gauge cluster. Geneva 2016.

MKay7GolfR

Passed Driver's Ed
I Compared the HID In my Golf R and 335 Vs my dads Lecus Nx200t or my brothers MDX... It's almost like comparing halogen Vs HID. It's that much whiter and brighter. Pretty blown away.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
The LED lights on the GTE/e-Golf are not adaptive and do not have static cornering functionality; also no headlamp washers (as LEDs dont have to have them by law) though they do have LED indicators which do look good.

Adaptive Bi-xenons are an optional extra on these cars but you have to take the side scan assist package too (in the UK at least).

The GTE and e-Golf have LED's are they are more power efficient than bi-xenons which helps improve range in e-mode...also probably serves to reduce CO2 output by some marginal degree.

I love my Bi-Xenons...they I find do dip a bit low for my liking....on fast country driving I am on and off the main beam alot (kind of wish I did have High Beam Assist now) but they I am sure wipe the floor with halogens and useful light output I bet they arent much different to LED..just LED emits a whiter light but that isnt always a good thing on the road.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
The HIDs are good but aftermarket bulbs would improve light output (my aftermarket Mk6 bulbs seem clearer) . The A3 doesn't have adaptive capability.

LannyM

LC User
Perhaps it's due to LED headlights being early in their development but from a performance standpoint the two I've driven at night, the STi and TLX, are both pretty much equal to the HID's on the Golf R. And I'd agree from a looks perspective that the Golf setup is one of the best and most distinctive currently available...

Turbo V

Ready to race!
I am really happy with mine. The brightest lights on a car I have ever owned. I can see very far even on wet roads.
The real kicker is I get flashed numerous times a night with other cars thinking my brights are on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MkVIIGTD

I am really happy with mine. The brightest lights on a car I have ever owned. I can see very far even on wet roads.
The real kicker is I get flashed numerous times a night with other cars thinking my brights are on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You get flashed because your lights are not adjusted right and not because people think you have your full beam lights on.

It is sometime staggering how some car owners are uneducated! Get your lights adjusted properly.

MkVIIGTD

Perhaps it's due to LED headlights being early in their development but from a performance standpoint the two I've driven at night, the STi and TLX, are both pretty much equal to the HID's on the Golf R. And I'd agree from a looks perspective that the Golf setup is one of the best and most distinctive currently available...

In early development? Maybe on low end cars but the technology has been on European cars for years.

Laser lights are the new lighting technology now.

zvwggtip09

Passed Driver's Ed

Those LED's are ok, but the Golf R's HID's are better. I had a WRX for a week, which had the same LED's in the STI.

From my experience, LED's on BMW where it's also adaptive are the best LED's I've driven so far.

phobos512

Ready to race!
Those LED's are ok, but the Golf R's HID's are better. I had a WRX for a week, which had the same LED's in the STI.

From my experience, LED's on BMW where it's also adaptive are the best LED's I've driven so far.

I had a '15 Corolla rental car with LEDs for a week in/around Denver a few months back and it's headlights straight sucked. People just get this idea that new is always better and that isn't always the case. There is always a reason why a manufacturer will implement new technology. Sometimes it's because it's better, sometimes it's because it's cheaper, sometimes it's because it helps accomplish another goal (lower strain on the alternator so minutely better economy), and often it's a combination thereof. But for consumers it's all about the "Ooh, shiny!" As evidenced by the mere existence of this thread.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
You think LED headlights being missing is a bigger deal than not having LED taillights? Plenty of luxury cars still come with HIDs. Plenty of non-luxury cars come with halogens still. But then you have weird stuff like the Corolla that come with LEDs (which should tell you they are cheaper, not more luxurious).

He'll my 2005 Infiniti g35 coupe has led taillights.