GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No LED headlights on R...Why not???

4wheelpilot

As so many members, I'm considering the Golf R and cross shopping a lot of other cars.

Let me tell you, I've driven many performance cars (and test driven a whole lot more), but the car that felt the BEST to me-by far-was the previous generation R.
I have not driven the 2016 R yet.

How is it that you can get LED headlights on the GTI (and S3) but NOT on the R?
Are VW/Audi LEDs not much better than the Xenons?
Is VW too cheap to include them in the R?

I'm ready to decide on my next performance car and your help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

zvwggtip09

Passed Driver's Ed
LED heads on the GTI? You're probably talking about the e-Golf.

Not sure how good are the S3 LED's but compared to some cars I've driven with LED heads, the R's AFS Bi-Xenon HID's are more than adequate. Most LED heads don't swivel too (BMW LED's do swivel, Acura and Subaru doesn't).

But it's a performance car, the current HID's are more than adequate for me. Although VW already announced the refreshed Golf will get the e-Golf's LED heads. I don't know if you want to wait for that in the US (most probably MY2018)

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
You can get them on the GTE as an option but not the GTI as far as I am aware unless they have just added them. As said the HID's are great and the adaptive bend lighting I can not fault.

4wheelpilot

You're right!
I've been looking at so many cars/specs that I didn't realize that the optional lighting on the GTI is the same bi-xenons as the R.

Seems I was thinking about the LED headlight option on the S3.

Thanks for clearing that up.

KO7

Ready to race!
Agreed, the lack of LED headlights is one of the few things that prevent the R from feeling truly premium (punching WAY above its class). I would've definitely spec'd them had I sprung for the S3. Having said that, it was definitely not a deal breaker for me. I'd choose to have a sunroof before I'd choose the LED headlights.

phobos512

Ready to race!
As so many members, I'm considering the Golf R and cross shopping a lot of other cars.

Let me tell you, I've driven many performance cars (and test driven a whole lot more), but the car that felt the BEST to me-by far-was the previous generation R.
I have not driven the 2016 R yet.

How is it that you can get LED headlights on the GTI (and S3) but NOT on the R?
Are VW/Audi LEDs not much better than the Xenons?
Is VW too cheap to include them in the R?

I'm ready to decide on my next performance car and your help would be greatly appreciated.

You think LED headlights being missing is a bigger deal than not having LED taillights? Plenty of luxury cars still come with HIDs. Plenty of non-luxury cars come with halogens still. But then you have weird stuff like the Corolla that come with LEDs (which should tell you they are cheaper, not more luxurious).

Mahojda80

Ready to race!
I thought we already had LED's (the lights around the driving lights). Are you talking about the actually headlight beam being LED (that doesn't sound right to me)? Either way I really don't care; we have a unique demon eye set up like the BMW's have. Im more than happy with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phobos512

Ready to race!
I thought we already had LED's (the lights around the driving lights). Are you talking about the actually headlight beam being LED (that doesn't sound right to me)? Either way I really don't care; we have a unique demon eye set up like the BMW's have. Im more than happy with mine.

He's talking about full LED headlights, which the S3 has an option, as well as the Corolla, several Acuras, etc. Apparently this is driving a decision on what car to buy, though I have no earthly idea why that would be. Some people :rolleyes::eek::confused:

Mahojda80

Ready to race!
He's talking about full LED headlights, which the S3 has an option, as well as the Corolla, several Acuras, etc. Apparently this is driving a decision on what car to buy, though I have no earthly idea why that would be. Some people :rolleyes::eek::confused:

Dang! Didn't know there were full LED Headlights. That's crazy lol. Yea, I agree, our headlights are already badass as they are so honestly it's like a bonus to add to an already great car. Not a difficult choice. Get the R!

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Dang! Didn't know there were full LED Headlights. That's crazy lol. Yea, I agree, our headlights are already badass as they are so honestly it's like a bonus to add to an already great car. Not a difficult choice. Get the R!

I had no idea either. Thought HIDs w/ LED DRLs were as nice as it gets haha

NJMK7R

Passed Driver's Ed
The price is high enough already. Dont forget Audi ran laser supplemented headlights at Le Mans last year, now that is badass. Like to see someone on here retrofit that!

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
Am I the only want that doesn't want LEDs, sunroof, DAP, touchscreen, tech, etc. in my car? I bought this car for the fun to drive factor. All other things are irrelevant to me. I wish VW would make an even cheaper model with less features. Don't need a radio, could live without A/C, wouldn't mind 17 inch wheels. Maybe a Golf gt3AAARs?? Anyone??

DanielSL

Ready to race!
I agree. Without going too far off topic, I would love to see an R clubsport, like the old Porsche clubsport models. Stereo delete, a/c delete, sunroof delete, flat door panels with pulls for opening, street legal. Please. Please. Please.