GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nine81's Silver Wiener Build

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Oh I'm well versed in "one thing at a time" and the patience game.....you've done a ton of work already!
Thanks! I feel like I get in a trap where I'm used to seeing mk4 builds from when they were 10+ years old, popular, AND people were tossing big budgets at them, and it makes my efforts with this car feel like a joke. But to that same end, I'm working on a regular people budget, it's not a show car, and I'm an amateur doing nearly all my own work, so I do sort of take pride in what I've done, even if it's not as wild as other builds out there. Compliments like that mean a ton, I think it's easy to forget just how much effort it is to modify a car, or I'm just getting old lol.

I think the next item to do is going to be tires -- looking at the Falken 615s, maaaybe Pilot Sport 4S, or something Continental. Just needs to be a 3 season tire, but I don't want to dump a ton of money into tires. Rain is a factor, but I generally don't drive the car under 50°F. Actually, I think I'm gonna go kill some time on Tire Rack and see what piques my interest.

oh and definitely going to try to come down to VA this year, I'll let everybody know what plans look like (we're also doing a NE G2G)

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Definitely give us a heads up when you're rolling through VA....powerdemon spends a month out at sea so I'll text him in advance as a heads up.

I'll keep a pulse on your tire search....when my DWS are worn, I want to walk away from anything snow performance.....definitely don't need it here. I really need it for my 23 Tiguan as they OEM tires SUCK badly.

my modding has changed over the last year as my daughter went to college, which freed up a lot of grocery money lol.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Definitely give us a heads up when you're rolling through VA....powerdemon spends a month out at sea so I'll text him in advance as a heads up.

I'll keep a pulse on your tire search....when my DWS are worn, I want to walk away from anything snow performance.....definitely don't need it here. I really need it for my 23 Tiguan as they OEM tires SUCK badly.

my modding has changed over the last year as my daughter went to college, which freed up a lot of grocery money lol.
Will do! Yeah, the DWS06+ have made me pretty happy with snow/cold weather performance, at least to the point where I'm considering them for our CX5. Have them on both 3's as daily tires and they've been good in all sorts of weather, though the CX5 might get to try out the Michelin CrossClimate2 because I seem to see those a lot.

I may or may not be the weirdo at car shows checking out tire tread :LOL:

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Tire finalists:
Falken Azenis RT-615K - $692
Kumho Ecsta V730 - $788
Yokohama Advan Apex V601 - $797

235/40/18, which should be a comfortable fit on my 18x8s. 615s are cheap and the car sees easily under 10k/year, but it'd be cool to get 20k out of a set of tires.

Also, sounds like RE71RS might be my move going forward on the racecar because GRM likes them for pinched setups.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I'm no tire guru and I'm going to sound cheap here but I have really liked my Federal 595RS-Rs. I'm about to be on my second summer with them so they have about 12k miles and a good amount of tread left. They grip well and for 200TW I'm not hating the mileage.

The RS-R is either the RS-Pro or the RS-RR now, I can't tell, but they come in at right around 750-800 at the size you're looking for.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Tire finalists:
Falken Azenis RT-615K - $692
Kumho Ecsta V730 - $788
Yokohama Advan Apex V601 - $797

235/40/18, which should be a comfortable fit on my 18x8s. 615s are cheap and the car sees easily under 10k/year, but it'd be cool to get 20k out of a set of tires.

Also, sounds like RE71RS might be my move going forward on the racecar because GRM likes them for pinched setups.
tell me that's for 4 tires and not per tire.

I need a tire to handle cold and rain too....

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
tell me that's for 4 tires and not per tire.

I need a tire to handle cold and rain too....
Yeah, 4 tires. I don't look at per-tire pricing because I don't remember the last time I bought just one.

I'm no tire guru and I'm going to sound cheap here but I have really liked my Federal 595RS-Rs. I'm about to be on my second summer with them so they have about 12k miles and a good amount of tread left. They grip well and for 200TW I'm not hating the mileage.

The RS-R is either the RS-Pro or the RS-RR now, I can't tell, but they come in at right around 750-800 at the size you're looking for.
I might have to check them out, are they not sold on Tire Rack? One thing I like about them is the ability to just hop over to DE and pick up at their New Castle DC. Though I wouldn't complain if shipping is free. I'll do some googling on the Federals. At first glance I had them confused with the Firehawk Indy 500s :LOL:

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
That would be the downside to the Federal's, they're not on Tire Rack or in any tire shop local to me (or you probably) so if you had an issue and needed a replacement you'd either have to go with a mismatched tire or be OK with being down or on a donut for a few days.

The RS-RR's are competition / non-DOT compliant so I think the RS-Pro's are the way you'd want to go. I bought them through Fitment Industries when I bought my wheels but it seems to be slim pickin's on FI now if you're shopping for Federal tires

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
guys as of thursday I should be able to drive the car again, and Friday I have a discussion with my boss regarding my performance review and (maybe/hopefully/possibly) a raise. it's SO CLOSE. I'm thinking of getting the 615s because they're cheap and I can try out whatever tire I want in the future, and I love the feeling of street driving on 660s in the Mazda so 615s in the GTI should be about as fun (for street driving, at least). The car has settled and I've got about a two finger/inch & a half gap fender to tire, which I think will be fine. We'll see what happens with a full tank of gas in it BUT I've got the adjustment on the rears set as tall as permissible per KW/ST, and there's enough gap that I don't think I'll have any rubbing issues. Adjusters for damping are set dead center as recommended by the manufacturer as well, we'll see how things go from there.

I'm super excited to drive the car.

I really hope nothing falls apart (knock on wood)

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
it's always a good feeling when you finally get everything dialed in!

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
edit: I'm also hoping that maybe somewhere in the drivers' side I'll find the trim tool I lost when doing the mirror caps. It wasn't huge but I don't think it was small enough to hide in the mirror cap, I really think I stuck it in my pocket and maybe it fell out in the seat area. We'll find out on tonight's episode of DRAGON BALL Z
y'all remember this in April 2023? well I FOUND IT

under/behind a piece of underbody plastics that I think go to a car I don't have anymore but I can't 100% remember because I can't identify the part :ROFLMAO:

cleaning up in the garage was a good idea, though now I need to figure out what to do with a bunch of miscellaneous parts

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Mrs. Nine played me, I've been back and forth about the Aerofabb rear diffuser for ages now and there was a sale. She was very ambiguous about her feelings, and I couldn't decide if it'd be over the top or not. So I stared at the GTI for roughly half an hour in the garage, looked at all sorts of photos, and considered my overall cosmetic goals for the car.

After I decided to order, she tells me it looks good and I should do it :whistle:

So now I have a diffuser on the way. Debating hard about side skirts, but I think tires will have to happen next.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Mrs. Nine played me, I've been back and forth about the Aerofabb rear diffuser for ages now and there was a sale. She was very ambiguous about her feelings, and I couldn't decide if it'd be over the top or not. So I stared at the GTI for roughly half an hour in the garage, looked at all sorts of photos, and considered my overall cosmetic goals for the car.

After I decided to order, she tells me it looks good and I should do it :whistle:

So now I have a diffuser on the way. Debating hard about side skirts, but I think tires will have to happen next.

I don't think the side skirts are necessary unless you have a front splitter. It looks fine with a splitter and no skirts and then you put the skirts on and it's like oh yea, that looks much more complete.

fatshawnsmom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 GTI DSG AutoBahn

Link to sale? Might get myself a birthday present

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Man I heard a ton of hype about raising canes, they opened one by me and I tried it. Wtf, it was horrible. Soggy ass no flavor chicken tenders. How is this a successful business????
Yep. No flavor. I have to either get a ton of gravy from golden chick or make my salsa, mayo, sour cream sauce