GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

nikhsub1 - VWR Spring Install and Review

JD_MK7

Ready to race!
on the passenger side, the wood wants to kick out. Much easier on the driver side.

Here is the spreader tool you want: https://www.ecstuning.com/ES3894/?g...engCfczBwlqSPC4c50vEh-M-_DbpECqj_nhoC4cXw_wcB

Didn't use it on my car, but used it on my buddy's car and it made life SO much easier.

You can file down an allen wrench and try that as well..... doesn't work quite as well as the tool but better than the extension method.

tofur99

Ready to race!
Just ordered it. Sigh, now to go spend another hour putting everything back on the car so I can try this again in a few days. At least I got the custom 2x4 part out of the way. Where on the hub did you put the spreader tool, more towards the top, middle, bottom? Thanks for the quick replies!

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Just ordered it. Sigh, now to go spend another hour putting everything back on the car so I can try this again in a few days. At least I got the custom 2x4 part out of the way. Where on the hub did you put the spreader tool, more towards the top, middle, bottom? Thanks for the quick replies!

Keep in mind that when using the spreader you will need to reposition it as the strut come out.

Sent from the Moon using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

Just in the middle. You'll see where it's "meaty" on the spindle part....right behind the bolt hole area

BUT you can't insert it too far because then the strut tab will hit the spreader bit, when you're trying to lift it out, and it will prevent it from coming out

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
So the spreader from ECS works? I had ordered one off of amazon that was supposed to fit the MK7 but was too narrow and barely spread it at all. I see DAP sells one too. Need to find a good replacement. Also, I actually had the most success spreading from the bottom. Maybe just me though. (?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD_MK7

Ready to race!
So the spreader from ECS works? I had ordered one off of amazon that was supposed to fit the MK7 but was too narrow and barely spread it at all. I see DAP sells one too. Need to find a good replacement. Also, I actually had the most success spreading from the bottom. Maybe just me though. (?)

Which one did you order from Amazon? The one we ordered from ECS worked quite well. It didn't seem like it was going to spread it far enough, but sure enough it did. The penetrating oil we sprayed around the base of the strut helped as well.

Zacr811

Ready to race!
You can use a quarter inch ratchet as a spreader. That's what I did although it still took some persuasion to get the strut out. I called over my mechanic who is a good friend since I was being a baby about it and he got it out in 2 min.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Which one did you order from Amazon? The one we ordered from ECS worked quite well. It didn't seem like it was going to spread it far enough, but sure enough it did. The penetrating oil we sprayed around the base of the strut helped as well.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010KME1PW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The part number I got was "SIR VA6034". Not sure if they sent me the wrong one or not. Per my calipers it's 7mm wide and BARELY budged the strut housing. I then used a 1/4" ratchet (8.25mm diagonally) which worked, but in the process it gnarled up the softer metal a bit. Really wish I would have had the proper part, so now I want to find the biggest spreader I can get. This was definitely the most unpleasant part of the project. I'm sure I could do it much quicker next time but the first time through was a PITA.

I also used WD40 to try to loosen them up.

tofur99

Ready to race!
The custom 2X4, use the old stretch bolt from the spindle:

Thanks so much @JD_MK7, the ECS "schwaben" tool worked great! I used WD-40 and the combo made it pretty easy, I still had to hit the hub with a soft hammer a little bit to get it off on the passenger side but the drivers side dropped 1.5 inches when I leaned on the hub :eek:

Having a 1/2 inch impact wrench made the spring change itself super easy, highly recommend that people use one. I didn't use compressors, just zip the nut off while holding onto the spring and top mount.

Installed these (minus the rear control arms, I was kinda done with wrenching for the day when I got to them)

Immediately after:

I went with the emmanuelle designs springs, after 40 minutes of driving I'm very happy with the change, corners much flatter and feels more planted and solid when you really lean on it in a corner. Turn in is better too, kinda mad that I waited this long to do springs...

JD_MK7

Ready to race!
Looks awesome! Kudos. And yep. No spring compressor needed just be careful (beer helps!)

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Thanks so much @JD_MK7, the ECS "schwaben" tool worked great! I used WD-40 and the combo made it pretty easy, I still had to hit the hub with a soft hammer a little bit to get it off on the passenger side but the drivers side dropped 1.5 inches when I leaned on the hub :eek:

Do you know how wide that bit is? I guess the one from Metalnerd is 8.2mm so just trying to compare. Looks great btw!

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Unfortunately, there's no way of preventing that. It's soft aluminum and it's gonna happen when using a metal tool/bit

x2 on the Metalnerd strut spreader bit, works great

Okay thanks. I was trying to be careful but like you said it happened anyway. :(

And yep 8.2mm should definitely do the trick. Ordering tonight in prep for my next suspension setup...whatever that may be.

SEvans

Passed Driver's Ed
Did this yesterday using the 2 x 4 method and I must say compared to my old mk2 Polo, it was a piece of pi**. Very simple and nice not to have rusted bolts. Few tips below for anyone considering doing this themselves and although I'm a fairly competent mechanic, there was nothing difficult about this at all.

-Use the 2x4 with a hole drilled in and bolt it to the leg where the drop link bolt goes through. This was a great tip from above
-Make a spreader using an old Allen key. Think I used a 6 or 7mm with opposite edges radiused roughly. I have done a similar job on a Polo 9n before without a spreader and this made the job sooooooo much easier
-Use WD40 or similar on the strut/steering knuckle before attempting to move the knuckle down the strut. I sprayed it on first before doing anything else to give it time to soak in
-Use a hammer and piece of wood to 'massage' the knuckle off the strut

I did this on a 1.6 TDI with the fixed rear beam and there are a few differences in procedure when compared to the multilink vehicles (GTI etc.)

-For the rear, you need to unbolt both shock absorbers before the beam can be dropped far enough to get the spring out/in. this can either be done at the top where the mount bolts to the body or at the bottom where it mounts to the beam. I chose the top as the bolts weren't as tight! Get both springs in place then remount both shocks. You can't do each side independently as the beam won't drop far enough
-Since the ride height is higher and thus the springs are longer, you may need compressors when taking the front struts apart. I have read previously these are not needed but that was on a GTI (which had shorter springs)

Overall I'm stoked with the results. I added spacers (ECS flush kit) and mk4 R32 wheels and the stance is perfect IMO. Rubs a little so I think I need to have the spacers machined a few mm each side. Overall it looks awesome though.

Before

After

B95zP

Ready to race!
Installed these (minus the rear control arms, I was kinda done with wrenching for the day when I got to them)

Immediately after:

Looks good! EC makes rear control arms?! Install looks fairly straightforward, but yea I do not blame you for calling it a day after all the other parts!