GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Pilot Sport A/S 3+ If Still on Stock Buy Them!!!

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
Although this topic has been done to death here is my review of the Pilot Sport A/S 3 + (Am sure other top end A/S tires great but these are worth it)

Short Version - If you are still sitting on your stock tires buy these. Just do it. Don’t drive round for a year missing out on your GTI. Don’t think you don’t really need them and shouldn’t spend the $700. Just order them and get them installed. They will put a big smile on your face (Actually, to understand/remind yourself the value of good tires drive round for a year and then switch…..)

OK – Longer version, as above I have had my GTI for a year, was riding on the stock Bridgestone Potenza All Seasons. I live in the Mid Atlantic so get the annoying tiny amount of snow & cold weather to make you contemplate summer/winter v all seasons.

I thought I understood the value of good tires, but had been a long time since I had had a car and made a tire switch, also didn’t think I could justify switching from brand new tires. What a mistake.

Of course most of you would have experienced the wheel spin of the stock all seasons. You may not have thought much about it, just “my GTI is powerful, wheel spin is fun and puts a smile on my face and gets me a shoulder slap from my wife”. All true. However if you plan leave the stock all seasons on, you probably should have just got yourself the lowest power base diesel model Golf….

I finally made the purchase and got them installed. Got them for $715 installed at Costco.

The first drive home, going through the bends you could feel how much stiffer the side walls were (old tires were at correct pressures, but in comparison I now realize were like jelly in corners). There is however a little bit more tire noise but nothing to worry about. You soon forget. The stock tires do come under the grand tourer category. Have not had long enough to do fuel efficiency, but from red previously may take a very slight hit on that.

On the weekend, finally got to go for a good drive to some favorite local roads to go mountain biking. Pulling hard from the lights on open road where as previously I would have got significant wheel spin I got none. I only got the traction control light blink twice, but I felt nothing. Instead I felt properly for the first time feeling some torque and actually getting physically pushed back in the seat.

Standing starts around corners where as previously the tires would squeal, tc on and spin the GTI was glued to the road. Round the windy country roads going from 2nd to 3rd to 2nd round corners , and bends up over rises and negative cambers again it was stuck to the road. No loss of traction or anything.

When I got to the car park I felt the tires and they actually felt sticky. With the dirt and dust in them they are like true summer performance tires. These are All Seasons with the M&S designation….

In short it make the GTI feel like a true performance car. I had the biggest smile on my face all day.

For those of you who are just in it for the looks, they look amazing in comparison. Aggressive & chunkier tread. Even though they are the same size tire they look wider as they have a lip over the tire and they have squarer side walls, not rounded like the stocks. The lip also is about 1cm or 1/3 inch over the wheel so will provide protection from minor curbing. That is an excuse enough to spend the money on buying. In terms of 235 v 225 I think there is no need for the 235s. The 225 look so much bigger anyway in comparison to stock.

Have not driven in rain or snow yet but am looking forward to it.

Anyway, are still on stocks you are missing out. No exaggeration I was trying to put a number on how much they have increased enjoyment of the GTI I have to say it feels 30 – 50% better when driving spirited.

Hope this helps anyone still thinking about upgrading the stock tires.

Attachments

• IMG_5036.jpg
    IMG_5036.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,370
  • IMG_5037.jpg
    IMG_5037.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 1,357
  • IMG_5041.jpg
    IMG_5041.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,339

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
"Got them for $715 installed at Costco" sounds like a great deal..! Congrats.
Yeah mine were like 780ish at a local place. But can't change that now and supporting small and local is always good. Mine are coming up to 5k and need a rotation, fronts have less camber and more weight so they've worn a bit differently. Can't disagree with any of the points made here, they definitely seem to have reduced wheel hop on stock power and I have yet to exceed the dry grip. Had a little understeer in the wet but not as greasy as my worn pirellis.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Yep, these are great tires. Summer like grip in the dry and wet, with decent light snow traction. Great steering response. Somewhat of a firm ride quality. They do get a bit more audible after 20k and wet grip decreases. I just purchased a 2nd set with my new wheels. I will have about 35k on the first set when I change them out. At 3/32s currently, to give an idea of the wear rating. i suppose u good take them to 40k but I rarely take a tire to 2/32s.

You will love them as they wear in!

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I was running them in a 225 width on my former G37xs with a 370z Nismo rsb. I flogged the hell out of that car, and the tires stuck like glue. I can only imagine a similar traction patch on a car 600lb lighter.

Inka Orange

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit 6MT
These tires are on my short list for sure. I really like just about everything I've read or heard about them. One thing - although they are far superior to the OE Bridgestones - I see that they weigh about 2 lbs more, putting them at 24lbs.

I'm still under 3K miles and not in any kind of hurry, so comparing with Conti DWS 06 for now, which land a bit lower in ratings but weigh in at 21 lbs.

Decisions! Looking forward to the upgrade, whichever wins out.

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
These tires are on my short list for sure. I really like just about everything I've read or heard about them. One thing - although they are far superior to the OE Bridgestones - I see that they weigh about 2 lbs more, putting them at 24lbs.

I'm still under 3K miles and not in any kind of hurry, so comparing with Conti DWS 06 for now, which land a bit lower in ratings but weigh in at 21 lbs.

If cash isn't an issue buy them now :) However it does make it feel like you have a newer faster car, so a nice little upgrade to save to treat yourself to further down the line when the excitement of a new GTI begins to wear off.

I honestly wouldn't worry about the weight at all. You can actually put power to the ground with these tires. Not possible with the OEM Bridgestones. Cant comment on the Contis (didn't really look at those) would be interesting if others have driven on both.

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs

What other lightening mods have you done?

relive

Ready to race!
If you live somewhere with no snow, is there any reason to spend $700 on "high performance" all-season tires when you can go all out and buy a set of Pilot Sport 4S for $800? All-seasons (even the best ones) seem like a half-measure to me, if you're upgrading them for performance. UHP summer tires have significantly better braking performance and handling in both dry and wet, so they make sense even from a safety point of view.

Summers will have worse treadlife, but the 30k mile warranty on the PS4S makes them really good value in their category.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I hear ya... we get usually only a light dusting and if there's any amount of snow, everything is shutting down because there is no snow plow equipment here etc. And in the summer it reaches triple digits.

So I'm torn between something like this and the ~300TW summer tires as well. Something else to consider is that an all season tire will just generally grip better (most likely) in colder temps, think like 30-50s. I've used 200TW summer tires in the past and unless it was over 60 they were just bricks and a milder/less grippy summer tires were actually more grippy. So it's about ideal tire temps as well.

My next set it's between the Continental extremecontact sport (comparable to Super sport or 4S), the PS4S or these A/S 3+. I've ran the Contis in the past, and they were actually OK in temps in the 20s/30s and very light dusting of snow. I didn't push it..but I did not feel unsafe at all.

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
If you live somewhere with no snow, is there any reason to spend $700 on "high performance" all-season tires when you can go all out and buy a set of Pilot Sport 4S for $800? All-seasons (even the best ones) seem like a half-measure to me, if you're upgrading them for performance. UHP summer tires have significantly better braking performance and handling in both dry and wet, so they make sense even from a safety point of view.

Summers will have worse treadlife, but the 30k mile warranty on the PS4S makes them really good value in their category.

If you have no snow and don't get close to or below zero regularly you should definitely go for the Pilot Sport 4s' I would have done that in a heart beat if I didn't have to think about winter.

With the Pilot Sport 4s I cant imagine how grippy they are!

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
I hear ya... we get usually only a light dusting and if there's any amount of snow, everything is shutting down because there is no snow plow equipment here etc. And in the summer it reaches triple digits.

So I'm torn between something like this and the ~300TW summer tires as well. Something else to consider is that an all season tire will just generally grip better (most likely) in colder temps, think like 30-50s. I've used 200TW summer tires in the past and unless it was over 60 they were just bricks and a milder/less grippy summer tires were actually more grippy. So it's about ideal tire temps as well.

My next set it's between the Continental extremecontact sport (comparable to Super sport or 4S), the PS4S or these A/S 3+. I've ran the Contis in the past, and they were actually OK in temps in the 20s/30s and very light dusting of snow. I didn't push it..but I did not feel unsafe at all.

Yeah, I think with winters, everyone just thinks about snow, but temperature is also an issue. To be honest, after driving on the A/S 3+ you would almost have to be driving like a lunatic (or on track) to get the full benefit out of them. They must be amazing! I think they would really be of benefit if you had a tuned GTI and needed more help putting the extra power to the ground. Obviously makes sense to get the summers if you have OK year round conditions.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
If you have no snow and don't get close to or below zero regularly you should definitely go for the Pilot Sport 4s' I would have done that in a heart beat if I didn't have to think about winter.

With the Pilot Sport 4s I cant imagine how grippy they are!

Just upgraded to PS4S last month. It's a huge upgrade indeed. I also considered the AS3+, but I live in central TX so wheeeeeee.

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs
I went as3+ over ps4s due to wear. Plus, summer tires are significantly less effective under 45ºf.