GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Pilot Sport A/S 3+ If Still on Stock Buy Them!!!

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Love my A/S3+ tires. I bought mine in the 235 width. They have more grip than I can use on the street and do a good enough job in SE Michigan winters. One caveat. While they do almost everything better than the stock tires, they ride considerably firmer.

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
Mine are arriving today, wrapped around a set of Neuspeed wheels! Woohoo! I'm not working any OT today, gotta get home to put them on!

Can anyone offer a comparison in treadwear to stock Hankooks? My fronts are down to ~6/32" after ~11k miles.

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
Mine are arriving today, wrapped around a set of Neuspeed wheels! Woohoo! I'm not working any OT today, gotta get home to put them on!

Can anyone offer a comparison in treadwear to stock Hankooks? My fronts are down to ~6/32" after ~11k miles.

Nice, when you get them on, try and get out to some good windy roads or at least get some runs from the lights in. You will be amazed!

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
No mods...or any plans to do so. Just a bit hesitant to increase unsprung weight.

Honestly wouldn't think that would make much of a difference. 2lb per tire in unsprung weight I think would only be a total of 24lb in sprung weight (all 4). The difference between the OEM Bridgestone tires and these is simply phenomenal.

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs
No mods...or any plans to do so. Just a bit hesitant to increase unsprung weight.
Then 2 pounds is completely imperceptible. You're worrying over legitimately nothing.

Inka Orange

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit 6MT
Honestly wouldn't think that would make much of a difference. 2lb per tire in unsprung weight I think would only be a total of 24lb in sprung weight (all 4). The difference between the OEM Bridgestone tires and these is simply phenomenal.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. Thanks for doing this thread! I'm just starting to consider what I want to get for tires a few months down the road, and these are one of my top picks so far.

How's the ride compared to the OE Bridgestones?

Then 2 pounds is completely imperceptible. You're worrying over legitimately nothing.

Nah - not worried at all...just would've been tickled if they were the same or even lighter. :D

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
Yeah, I think with winters, everyone just thinks about snow, but temperature is also an issue.

This is true. I had a couple sets of summer tires on my Mazdaspeed3 (Bridgestone Potenza RE050A and S04), and at about 45F or lower, my front tires broke loose noticeably more easily . I ran winter tires during the winter, something I plan to do with the GTI as well.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I too like them a lot. They do wear quicker then I would of liked and get noisy when they approach legal tread limit, but other than that the best tire I have had. Discount Tire gave me $113 credit for warranty as they were worn out at 30K miles. I went back to the DWS06.

JWTS

Ready to race!
If you live somewhere with no snow, is there any reason to spend $700 on "high performance" all-season tires when you can go all out and buy a set of Pilot Sport 4S for $800? All-seasons (even the best ones) seem like a half-measure to me, if you're upgrading them for performance. UHP summer tires have significantly better braking performance and handling in both dry and wet, so they make sense even from a safety point of view.

Summers will have worse treadlife, but the 30k mile warranty on the PS4S makes them really good value in their category.

UHP do not have significantly better braking performance and handling than the AS3+. The AS3+ actually outperforms most UHP Summer tires, and is close to the PS4S in the dry and better in the wet.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=241
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=223

I'll never drive my GTI in snow, and I'll still use them over the PS4S. Tread life is longer, but the big reason is that then handling in cold train (sub 50 degrees) is the best of any tire I'd ever used.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I wasn’t impressed by the a/s3+ in snow, but like any northerner should... I swap out to my snows when temps start dropping below the 40F mark.

They may be good for an Atlanta dusting, but they will never be x-ice or blizzacks.

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
Yeah, I pretty much agree. Thanks for doing this thread! I'm just starting to consider what I want to get for tires a few months down the road, and these are one of my top picks so far.

How's the ride compared to the OE Bridgestones?

Nah - not worried at all...just would've been tickled if they were the same or even lighter. :D

Keeping in mind that I had pretty much a few days earlier pumped to correct tire pressures on the OEMs, I noticed on the first drive that they are a little noisier and do feel firmer. But on your second or third drive you don't really notice at all.

Although they are both 'All Season' tires, they come under different categories with the OEM one being considered a 'grand tourer' tire (which has a quieter smoother ride as objective) and the Pilot Sports being in the performance category.

I have seen earlier threads on the forum where people note they get a little lower fuel economy but that person had come off 'eco' tires so would be a big difference because of that.