GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Pilot Sport A/S 3+ If Still on Stock Buy Them!!!

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
I wasn’t impressed by the a/s3+ in snow, but like any northerner should... I swap out to my snows when temps start dropping below the 40F mark.

They may be good for an Atlanta dusting, but they will never be x-ice or blizzacks.

Ha yes! Am pretty inexperienced at driving in the snow so pretty much will be driving like a grandma anyway :)

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
Think about how many trucks and jeeps that are otherwise stock get tires much bigger than OEM put on and are fine

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
Today was my first drive. They make a slight tread noise, though if you have a exhaust or other noise-adder you probably won't know it. I switched to 235/45/17, so they ride better than the stock tires. I've got them on 8.5" wheels and would probably have preferred 8" if they were available. I'll give them another day or two to decide if they spin less. I drive briskly on the back roads but nowhere near the limits; they feel really nice. Neuspeed price $162 ea, + $20 ea to mount them on my new RSE-16's.

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
Today was my first drive. They make a slight tread noise, though if you have a exhaust or other noise-adder you probably won't know it. I switched to 235/45/17, so they ride better than the stock tires. I've got them on 8.5" wheels and would probably have preferred 8" if they were available. I'll give them another day or two to decide if they spin less. I drive briskly on the back roads but nowhere near the limits; they feel really nice. Neuspeed price $162 ea, + $20 ea to mount them on my new RSE-16's.

They really transform the GTI. Make sure you do some hard pulls from a standing start turning at lights etc. It'll start to scare you how fast you can go without loosing any control or traction :)

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
Got a hundred miles on them and you're right, wheelspin from a roll (traction control off) is just about gone! Just took longer than I expected to wear the slippery coating off, or whatever it was...

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
Any idea on the benefit of these over the stock Hankooks?

significant traction benefit in dry AND wet conditions. Read the thread! If you live in an area that you can't run high performance summer tires year round, these are the best tires I've found. I'm in PA, and we get a lot of months where it's below the recommended temperatures for summer tire usage, but we also don't get a significant amount of snow days that warrant me to invest in snow tires.

tknj99

Ready to race!
significant traction benefit in dry AND wet conditions. Read the thread! If you live in an area that you can't run high performance summer tires year round, these are the best tires I've found. I'm in PA, and we get a lot of months where it's below the recommended temperatures for summer tire usage, but we also don't get a significant amount of snow days that warrant me to invest in snow tires.

Thanks.. i did read the thread but saw the comparison being to the other stock branded model, didnt see any mention of Hankooks.. i actually dont have any traction issues unless i turn off traction control completely, plus having the RSB helps along with cornering.. i'd still imagine these to be an improvement

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
They're sure a lot stickier in a straight line than Hankooks. I wish somebody like Tire Rack would do a test directly comparing some OE and/or cheap and mid-priced tires to the best tires, to show just what we're getting for the extra money. Well, there's Consumer Reports...

In their tests the Hankooks performed very respectably, with an overall score of 72 vs the Michelin AS3+ score of 78. Consumer Reports performance measurements are given as average, better/worse than average, much better/much worse than average, not as actual measurements. For your extra $31 in the size tested, the Michelin gives you one step better wet braking, handling, snow traction & ride comfort. The Hankook beats the Michelin by one step in hydroplaning resistance and rolling resistance. They were ranked equally in dry braking, ice braking and noise.

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
Although this topic has been done to death here is my review of the Pilot Sport A/S 3 + (Am sure other top end A/S tires great but these are worth it)

Short Version - If you are still sitting on your stock tires buy these. Just do it. Don’t drive round for a year missing out on your GTI. Don’t think you don’t really need them and shouldn’t spend the $700. Just order them and get them installed. They will put a big smile on your face (Actually, to understand/remind yourself the value of good tires drive round for a year and then switch…..)

OK – Longer version, as above I have had my GTI for a year, was riding on the stock Bridgestone Potenza All Seasons. I live in the Mid Atlantic so get the annoying tiny amount of snow & cold weather to make you contemplate summer/winter v all seasons.

I thought I understood the value of good tires, but had been a long time since I had had a car and made a tire switch, also didn’t think I could justify switching from brand new tires. What a mistake.

Of course most of you would have experienced the wheel spin of the stock all seasons. You may not have thought much about it, just “my GTI is powerful, wheel spin is fun and puts a smile on my face and gets me a shoulder slap from my wife”. All true. However if you plan leave the stock all seasons on, you probably should have just got yourself the lowest power base diesel model Golf….

I finally made the purchase and got them installed. Got them for $715 installed at Costco.

The first drive home, going through the bends you could feel how much stiffer the side walls were (old tires were at correct pressures, but in comparison I now realize were like jelly in corners). There is however a little bit more tire noise but nothing to worry about. You soon forget. The stock tires do come under the grand tourer category. Have not had long enough to do fuel efficiency, but from red previously may take a very slight hit on that.

On the weekend, finally got to go for a good drive to some favorite local roads to go mountain biking. Pulling hard from the lights on open road where as previously I would have got significant wheel spin I got none. I only got the traction control light blink twice, but I felt nothing. Instead I felt properly for the first time feeling some torque and actually getting physically pushed back in the seat.

Standing starts around corners where as previously the tires would squeal, tc on and spin the GTI was glued to the road. Round the windy country roads going from 2nd to 3rd to 2nd round corners , and bends up over rises and negative cambers again it was stuck to the road. No loss of traction or anything.

When I got to the car park I felt the tires and they actually felt sticky. With the dirt and dust in them they are like true summer performance tires. These are All Seasons with the M&S designation….

In short it make the GTI feel like a true performance car. I had the biggest smile on my face all day.

For those of you who are just in it for the looks, they look amazing in comparison. Aggressive & chunkier tread. Even though they are the same size tire they look wider as they have a lip over the tire and they have squarer side walls, not rounded like the stocks. The lip also is about 1cm or 1/3 inch over the wheel so will provide protection from minor curbing. That is an excuse enough to spend the money on buying. In terms of 235 v 225 I think there is no need for the 235s. The 225 look so much bigger anyway in comparison to stock.

Have not driven in rain or snow yet but am looking forward to it.

Anyway, are still on stocks you are missing out. No exaggeration I was trying to put a number on how much they have increased enjoyment of the GTI I have to say it feels 30 – 50% better when driving spirited.

Hope this helps anyone still thinking about upgrading the stock tires.

Just a further update on these after a few long drives. I still love them however fuel economy has gone done pretty significantly. With the Bridgestone Potenzas I would average around 36mpg. With the Pilot Sports I am averaging around 32mpg highway. Still love them though, but something to consider if fuel economy is an issue for you.

Gabe-Real

I put Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my Austin wheels a couple weeks ago. Last weekend I did a spirited drive through the mountains with a buddy and his 2018 Civic Type R. I am very happy with the tires, especially for being all seasons. They handled great on the back roads. I also notice my MPG decreasing, but I filled up with E30 and 7+PSI of boost once the Michelins went on, so I attributed most of the MPG loss to the E30.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Just a further update on these after a few long drives. I still love them however fuel economy has gone done pretty significantly. With the Bridgestone Potenzas I would average around 36mpg. With the Pilot Sports I am averaging around 32mpg highway. Still love them though, but something to consider if fuel economy is an issue for you.

Never heard of tires causing that much mileage drop.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I put Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my Austin wheels a couple weeks ago. Last weekend I did a spirited drive through the mountains with a buddy and his 2018 Civic Type R. I am very happy with the tires, especially for being all seasons. They handled great on the back roads. I also notice my MPG decreasing, but I filled up with E30 and 7+PSI of boost once the Michelins went on, so I attributed most of the MPG loss to the E30.

How did you do versus the Civic R?

Gabe-Real

How did you do versus the Civic R?

I led the whole time and we were driving new roads to us so I can’t say. I’ll have to let him lead next time. Coming from a 97 Miata I didn’t think I would have as much fun as I did in a FWD car. These MK7s are impressive.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I led the whole time and we were driving new roads to us so I can’t say. I’ll have to let him lead next time. Coming from a 97 Miata I didn’t think I would have as much fun as I did in a FWD car. These MK7s are impressive.

If you don't have an aftermarket rear sway bar get one and those kinds of roads will be even more enjoyable. Completely eliminates the understeer. I have the Nuespeed 25MM RSB.