GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Jersey Inspection

AntErrickson

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI Autobahn
Hey Gang,
First if this topic is beat up and dead, sorry. Please share a link to another thread and I'll jump to there..
Second, this is my first car I have ever modified, other than cosmetics stuff.
Third, I'm in a new state, ... so I'm worried and clueless at this point.

Long story short, basically moved to NJ from PA. My car is bone stock except some tint that was on there when I bought it from the dealer .. (It was a PA car traded in too a NJ dealer, than I bought it as a PA driver, now Im a NJ driver hah)

Anyway.. its up for new NJ registration and inspection. I'm not sure what will pass and what wont here in NJ.
I just bought some goodies for it anyway though. (Coils, exhaust and Intake, plus I want to do a stage 1 tune and some spacers as well.)

TINT:
From my understanding the front tint will most likely need to be removed and the sunscreen section at the top of the windshield. .. but how strict are they with this in NJ really?

MODS:
My thoughts are wait to do anything till after i pass inspection, but after the 2 years are up for that inspection then what!? any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Ant
@errxson.vw on IG

PenIsland

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Volkswagen GTI 2020
As long as you dont touch the downpipe you should be good.

For tints, any tint on the windshield, driver side, and passenger side window is illegal in New Jersey.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I bought my most recent car in NJ, and it was inspected in NJ with 5% tint all around. 🤷‍♂️

AntErrickson

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI Autobahn
I bought my most recent car in NJ, and it was inspected in NJ with 5% tint all around. 🤷‍♂️
Where'd you go to get the inspection? I need to go there! hah

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
I've gone to two inspections with my mk6 GTI that had 20% all around and they did not check it or care one bit. All they cared was emissions. For referenced I used Lodi inspection for one and Paramus for another. Paramus doesn't come up if you look for it on the NJ site yet they have an inspection facility for the state. Not sure why they don't come up...

To ease your worry just lower all the front windows when you get there, lol. I don't think they'll care much about just the upper windshield tint either. My buddy has that on his car and he's never had issues with passing inspection with it...

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
New Jersey stopped doing safety based inspections during the Christie administration. They now check emissions only. Provided all of your monitors are ready, you have no DTCs set and no CEL, you should be able to pass. If you want an extra layer of security, hit up a private inspection facility instead of the state run facilities. My car just passed with lowering springs and 20% tint all the way around.

gmgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
I just passed with 20% all around at the local NJ state DMV.
If you’re worried go to a private station and pay the $75. Less to think about that way.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Where'd you go to get the inspection? I need to go there! hah

Lol I just meant it already had a New Jersey inspection sticker on it. The dealership probably just passed it because they didn’t feel like trying to remove the tint.

Sportbikemike

Go Kart Newbie
Just go with all the windows down. I don't ever recall them telling me to put the windows up to inspect. But I will say this also, I have to inspect mine too this year and I have stage 2 tune, intake and full turbo back exhaust and I'm not worried. Just go, don't worry

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
OP, if you go to a DMV inspection station you'll probably have trouble with your tints, though even there - as others have said - it kind of depends on who you get, and yes rolling your windows down might solve that problem.
I'd recommend finding a service station that does inspection, you're more likely to find people there who could care less bout your tints.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Your mistake was moving from PA to NJ. :) Unless you lived in Philly or Pittsburgh, then it's mostly a more expensive lateral.