GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTI owner here

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I've got several buddies with GT350s that seriously track them. One on second engine, other on third. Good news is Ford replaced all under warranty. Bad news, that's crazy. Both guys are trying to unload them.

Yikes, sounds like a moderately tuned VW EA888 would be a much more reliable engine platform than Ford's Voodoo V-8 for track duty. I've heard similar stories of GT350's blowing up both on and off the track. That's no bueno.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Welcome to the forums, I’ll be your official bad influence if you start modding 😂.

These cars are great from the factory, but can literally be transformed to punch WAY above their class with a few simple bolt ons and a tune (or even Jb4 if you’re into having a warranty).

Living up there don’t hesitate, just buy winter tires and a second set of wheels for a summer set right off that bat.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I could talk for hours about my track day experience (at Road America), but suffice it to say, I had a blast with my BRZ. You're exactly right to say the RWD and overall lightness (2,700 lbs) is great fun, even if its not at super high speeds. While it is underpowered, I found that I could stay with cars 2-3 times more expensive in the curves. It was just disheartening to outwork the 'Vettes and Mustangs in the corners, only to have to let them blow by me in the straights. That said, it was slightly entertaining to see my car make it through the entire day with no issues, while many others retired early as their brakes melted or worse. If I can make any recommendation to anybody thinking about doing a track day, its this: get race grade brake pads and high temp brake fluid.

Anyways, not sure I'll do a track day with the GTI, but who knows - I may get that itch again and have to!
How did the brz do against miatas?

I hate those 90hp old miatas. Always slaying my ass in the corners.

J-Torto

Car(s)
2020 VW Golf GTI S
How did the brz do against miatas?

I hate those 90hp old miatas. Always slaying my ass in the corners.
Dealt with the Miatas nicely. The stock BRZ corners incredibly well for its price point. My final running group was with a 350Z, Fiesta ST, and a Miata. Only the 350Z got away from me.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I considered the BRZ but unless you flog it it's underpowered for DD duties. The GTI is easy to be loafing along and kick it down to zoom around someone. Gobs of low down torque. The practicality is amazing. Since folks are suggesting mods I like the Helix sub and OBD11.

enjoy the ride

Mud

J-Torto

Car(s)
2020 VW Golf GTI S
I considered the BRZ but unless you flog it it's underpowered for DD duties. The GTI is easy to be loafing along and kick it down to zoom around someone. Gobs of low down torque. The practicality is amazing. Since folks are suggesting mods I like the Helix sub and OBD11.

enjoy the ride

Mud
No question. The BRZ/86's lack of power is most frustrating on routine driving when people see you and are expecting you to dust/pass them ('cause it LOOKS fast), and its just not impressive. You have to really pick your spots for passing, lest you end up feeling a little embarrassed.

dademurphy

Car(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Hey there, I'm new as well... in fact, this is my first post. I just wanted to say that I also bought a new 2020 GTI SE but in black and coincidently the last VW I owned was a 2005 Jetta 1.8t (which, in my opinion was last or next to last year of the "cool" looking jettas!). Since then, I have owned a boring Prius (but practical) and a jeep wrangler (fun in a different way).

Anyway, welcome to the community that I am also brand-new to! :)

J-Torto

Car(s)
2020 VW Golf GTI S
Hey there, I'm new as well... in fact, this is my first post. I just wanted to say that I also bought a new 2020 GTI SE but in black and coincidently the last VW I owned was a 2005 Jetta 1.8t (which, in my opinion was last or next to last year of the "cool" looking jettas!). Since then, I have owned a boring Prius (but practical) and a jeep wrangler (fun in a different way).

Anyway, welcome to the community that I am also brand-new to! :)
Thanks! I liked the Jettas from that era quite a bit. How are you liking your black SE? Manual or DSG?

dademurphy

Car(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Thanks! I liked the Jettas from that era quite a bit. How are you liking your black SE? Manual or DSG?
love it, I went with the DSG because it is what they had on the lot in the color and config I wanted (and got a pretty good deal). My jetta was a manual so I wasn't sure if I would miss that but honestly very happy with DSG, the manual shifting is fun if I ever feel the need.

J-Torto

Car(s)
2020 VW Golf GTI S
love it, I went with the DSG because it is what they had on the lot in the color and config I wanted (and got a pretty good deal). My jetta was a manual so I wasn't sure if I would miss that but honestly very happy with DSG, the manual shifting is fun if I ever feel the need.
I hear such good things about the DSG, I wonder if I should have been less adamant on having the manual. I'm a sucker for the increased feeling of engagement it gives. Plus, it makes it easier to not loan out to my oldest son (heh) since he didn't have the patience to really master the manual with me on my last car (he did fine learning, but his confidence was not great

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
I hear such good things about the DSG, I wonder if I should have been less adamant on having the manual. I'm a sucker for the increased feeling of engagement it gives. Plus, it makes it easier to not loan out to my oldest son (heh) since he didn't have the patience to really master the manual with me on my last car (he did fine learning, but his confidence was not great

1601400529324.png

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

If you were looking at a car that was offered with DQ381 (2018+ GTI/R), then yeah you missed out. The DQ250 factory tune on the 2015-2017 MK7S sucked so so so so so so so bad lol

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you were looking at a car that was offered with DQ381 (2018+ GTI/R), then yeah you missed out. The DQ250 factory tune on the 2015-2017 MK7S sucked so so so so so so so bad lol

The 2018 GTI comes with the DQ250. I have one.