GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTI owner here

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. I agree with others on the RSB. Do you plan on modding it or staying stock?

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT

Nashvillain

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI S 17
Check out the Bridgestone Potenza S04. I’ve had them back to back with PSS and they’re a good alternative.

I run these. They’re basically loud, heavier PS4S’s for 200 less a set.

Also an S owner (17). Put springs, wheels, tires, headlights, clutch, downpipe, ECU tune, subwoofer done for the equivalent price of an autobahn. Excellent choice.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Damn I feel like I got played haha

Me too. I bought a 2018 S, because I didn't want a sunroof, then found out 19+ got PP standard. I pawned the 18 off on my son after convincing my wife it was safer than his 16 Mazda 3 and bought a 19. Lol. I'm smooth like that.

J-Torto

Car(s)
2020 VW Golf GTI S
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. I agree with others on the RSB. Do you plan on modding it or staying stock?
Not sure yet. I’ll likely keep it stock for at least the first year or so, then decide how committed I am to the idea of getting it out to a track day. I did a track day in my BRZ, and I told myself that I wouldn’t do that again until I had more power. Some GTI tuning could be the trick that gets me to go back. That or buying a Shelby 350GTR!

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Probably due to the extra weight.
Good point. I’ve been googling and can’t find where I read it. I can’t even remember the damn source either. Apparently the autobahn sits 0.2 inches lower. But damn I can’t find the link. I’ll look tomorrow and when I find it, if it’s worth linking I’ll link.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I'd normally 100% agree, but he lives in Chicago. If he's going to just change one A/S for another A/S tire, meh. If he's going to run dedicated summer and winter tires, I'm 100% on board.

I would not category every all season tires in the market into one single bucket. I have swapped stock all season tires on both my GTIs with Continental ExtremeContact and saw day & night difference.

Definitely will look into it that RSB. Any tires recommended? I'm not opposed to swapping out summer/winter.

You would find many people happy with their Continental ExtremeContact tires in the forum if you are looking for all season alternatives. There are several threads discussing the same.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I would not category every all season tires in the market into one single bucket. I have swapped stock all season tires on both my GTIs with Continental ExtremeContact and saw day & night difference.

You would find many people happy with their Continental ExtremeContact tires in the forum if you are looking for all season alternatives. There are several threads discussing the same.

They definitely aren't the same, but the increase in performance from the factory AS to even a second tier summer tire is night and day from even a good AS.

To me, it makes no sense to go from a decent AS to a good AS. That's just me. Everyone has different priorities.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Definitely recommend the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. I used (abused) them for 40,000 miles in snow, ice, rain, sun and NYC potholes - they held up. There was a huge difference between this tire and the OEM Pirelli's I had - it was well worth the cost of replacement.

Wouldn't upgrade RSB yet, just drive the car and enjoy it :)

You'll get the itch to do something eventually.

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Not sure yet. I’ll likely keep it stock for at least the first year or so, then decide how committed I am to the idea of getting it out to a track day. I did a track day in my BRZ, and I told myself that I wouldn’t do that again until I had more power. Some GTI tuning could be the trick that gets me to go back. That or buying a Shelby 350GTR!

Congrats on your new GTI! Lovely looking ride!

I do find your comment about moving from a BRZ to your GTI for possible track days interesting. A rear wheel drive sports car, even with low horsepower, seems like a heavy dose of fun. Plus there is the added benefit of being more forgiving at the limit than say a rear wheel drive monster like a Camaro SS or 350 GTR. I have had track ride-alongs in my brother's well-sorted BRZ and Integra Type R. He likes both but there is something special about driving a neutral handling rear wheel drive sports car at 8/10s or better on a track. Yep, the Integra Type R is getting sold. Well I've never driven or ridden in a GTI on track, so what do I know?! You'll figure it out.

J-Torto

Car(s)
2020 VW Golf GTI S
Congrats on your new GTI! Lovely looking ride!

I do find your comment about moving from a BRZ to your GTI for possible track days interesting. A rear wheel drive sports car, even with low horsepower, seems like a heavy dose of fun. Plus there is the added benefit of being more forgiving at the limit than say a rear wheel drive monster like a Camaro SS or 350 GTR. I have had track ride-alongs in my brother's well-sorted BRZ and Integra Type R. He likes both but there is something special about driving a neutral handling rear wheel drive sports car at 8/10s or better on a track. Yep, the Integra Type R is getting sold. Well I've never driven or ridden in a GTI on track, so what do I know?! You'll figure it out.

I could talk for hours about my track day experience (at Road America), but suffice it to say, I had a blast with my BRZ. You're exactly right to say the RWD and overall lightness (2,700 lbs) is great fun, even if its not at super high speeds. While it is underpowered, I found that I could stay with cars 2-3 times more expensive in the curves. It was just disheartening to outwork the 'Vettes and Mustangs in the corners, only to have to let them blow by me in the straights. That said, it was slightly entertaining to see my car make it through the entire day with no issues, while many others retired early as their brakes melted or worse. If I can make any recommendation to anybody thinking about doing a track day, its this: get race grade brake pads and high temp brake fluid.

Anyways, not sure I'll do a track day with the GTI, but who knows - I may get that itch again and have to!

BradGTI

Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
J-Torto,

I also just bought a 2020 Iron Blue GTI S and I also live in Southeastern Wisconsin, (Racine area). Mine is the DSG. Maybe I will see you out on the road some day.

Attachments

• DSCF0489.jpg
    DSCF0489.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 64

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I could talk for hours about my track day experience (at Road America), but suffice it to say, I had a blast with my BRZ. You're exactly right to say the RWD and overall lightness (2,700 lbs) is great fun, even if its not at super high speeds. While it is underpowered, I found that I could stay with cars 2-3 times more expensive in the curves. It was just disheartening to outwork the 'Vettes and Mustangs in the corners, only to have to let them blow by me in the straights. That said, it was slightly entertaining to see my car make it through the entire day with no issues, while many others retired early as their brakes melted or worse. If I can make any recommendation to anybody thinking about doing a track day, its this: get race grade brake pads and high temp brake fluid.

Anyways, not sure I'll do a track day with the GTI, but who knows - I may get that itch again and have to!

I guess Road America would be considered your "home" track. Yeah, RA definitely favors high horsepower rides, so I understand your sentiment about the BRZ feeling underpowered. It's gotta be like swimming with sharks. At least you started in the right order: learn to drive a slow car fast, rather than a fast car slow. Yeah, I would venture to say that most Vette and Mustang drivers really don't like giving point by's to cars with half the horsepower.

Agreed. Track pads and high temp brake fluid should be a near-mandatory setup for any serious track day. Good safety advice - just like making sure your battery is secured and your tires don't have any funny bulges. Curious, what rubber did you favor when at RA in the BRZ? Hope you can get a chance to take out the GTI to RA at some point in the future. Not that VIR is at all similar to RA, but the C&D lightning lap times for the BRZ and GTI are pretty close to each other. (I know, lots of variables at play.)

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

I've got several buddies with GT350s that seriously track them. One on second engine, other on third. Good news is Ford replaced all under warranty. Bad news, that's crazy. Both guys are trying to unload them.