GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTI owner here

J-Torto

Car(s)
2020 VW Golf GTI S
Hey all - just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a new GTI owner, just bought a new 2020 six-speed S, Dark Iron Blue Metallic (love that color!). It's my 2nd VW, but it's been almost 20 years in between the Golf and a new 2003 1.8T Jetta. Traded in my 2014 BRZ, which was a painful decision (love pure driving experience of a light, RWD coupe), but practicality ruled the day, as I now needed a new daily driver, and not something that had to be stored 4-5 months a year (living in the Great Lakes region).

Test drove a gently used 2019 Autobahn GTI, but the ride realized I didn't want all the bells and whistles, I felt like the adaptive suspension made me feel less connected to the road (again, I'm coming from the harsher ride of the BRZ), and I kinda love the 'Clark Plaid' seats, so the S trim level made the most sense for me.

At any rate, I'm excited to learn more about the GTI community, learn more about my new car, and get out there and DRIVE!

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Welcome! The GTI will serve you well and I think you made a great choice!

I've had more focused driver's cars and faster ones as well, but the GTI always stood out as my favorite everyday driver that I've ever had. I'm on my 3rd GTI and my second one, a manual 2010 GTI, was amazing during my ~4 years of living in the Milwaukee area. I still miss it and its plaid seats (I picked up an SE w/leather interior), so I'm jealous of yours!

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Welcome! You’re gonna love it!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Welcome. Get a rear sway bar, upgrade the headlights and profit. You'll love the car.

J-Torto

Car(s)
2020 VW Golf GTI S
Welcome. Get a rear sway bar, upgrade the headlights and profit. You'll love the car.
I assume the rear sway bar will help that body roll substantially? I've never done much in the way of mods, but that sounds like it could be pretty simple... definitely interested.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Yes it’s most peoples first step in spending money to lower their resale value.

I went for max devaluation and did a stage 1 tune right away.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I assume the rear sway bar will help that body roll substantially? I've never done much in the way of mods, but that sounds like it could be pretty simple... definitely interested.

A RSB will reduce overall body roll and reduce understeer. It will still understeer, just less.

If it's a daily driver, that's all you really need. If I didn't sell my track car, my GTI would have remained stock, RSB, and better tires. It's really all you need.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

This. Rear sway is a day 1 upgrade for GTIs, balances out the rotation of the rear end much better than stock. like, it’s a massive difference.

A RSB will reduce overall body roll and reduce understeer. It will still understeer, just less.

If it's a daily driver, that's all you really need. If I didn't sell my track car, my GTI would have remained stock, RSB, and better tires. It's really all you need.

Agreed agreed agreed. My Alltrack with elongated dampers and springs corners better than my 2 non-PP GTIs did, just because it has an RSB lol. the difference cannot be understated.