GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTI owner here, oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
And proven for all cars when the correct oil is used.

Doesn't really matter what companies have proved in testing when relating to a thing you own that you have invested a lot of money in and have been burned in the past by listening to manufacturers wrong recommendations. Piece of mind is worth more than an extra $100 a year in oil changes.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Doesn't really matter what companies have proved in testing when relating to a thing you own that you have invested a lot of money in and have been burned in the past by listening to manufacturers wrong recommendations. Piece of mind is worth more than an extra $100 a year in oil changes.

To each their own. Facts are facts though. It's a cheap car, do what you want.

Last edited:

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I can't believe people actually wait until 10K to change oil.
You don't need to shower every day, but we do b/c it keeps you fine tuned.... Change the oil every 5K. It's SOOO friggin' easy to do in the garage.

I can't believe :confused: people would change their oil without getting an oil analysis done where your being informed scientifically when they should or shouldn't change their oil, but blindly change it with no merit other than it's easy to do:rolleyes:. Maybe it's easy for you.. maybe some people don't have garages.. or equipment or are allowed to work on their cars like in some housing developments.

Fella I do 5k in 2 months.. so yay I have better things to do with my time.

Agreed.

OP: here is the rundown of your OCI options (other than mileage, 1 year is the maximum duration if mileage isn't met):

1. 10,000 miles: "By the book" per VWoA schedule and maximum OCI to maintain powertrain warranty.
  2. 5-7,500 miles: A lot of people here fall in this category. Semi-conservative, but you're not hurting anything by doing it a bit early.
  3. 3,000 miles: Old habits die hard, huh? Some will consider it wasteful (time, money, environment), but who are we to judge? It's your car...
  4. >10,000 miles: You are out of warranty and have done a UOA and have been advised you can go longer and you feel comfortable doing so.
  5. <3,000 miles: Who hurt you? :p

+1 to this

I'd like to add that doing extended drain intervals won’t void new vehicle warranties. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects you in this area. So if a manufacture says you can go 15k.. 25k on an oil change a dealer can't void you warranty because of it.

Last edited:

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
LMFAO im crying

golf forums a little to OVER THE TOP

I’ve owned a bunch of different cars and have been on a bunch of different forums and I’ve yet to see an oil thread on any of them not devolve into a shit show.

Do whatever you want. It’s your car and other people aren’t paying your bills.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Pretty sure everyone can agree that following the manual is fine and so is changing it early.

Oh wait, we can't agree on that :D

adam1991

Banned
I can't believe people actually wait until 10K to change oil.
You don't need to shower every day, but we do b/c it keeps you fine tuned.... Change the oil every 5K. It's SOOO friggin' easy to do in the garage.

More like "you don't have to shower every hour but I do it because it makes me feel better".

That's called OCD.

People don't have garages--so what do THEY do?

If you don't know how your oil behaves under your specific circumstances, get a used oil analysis. Facts. Then make decisions based on those.

Or you could do it every fillup because "it makes you feel better". Or you could listen to forum voodoo.

adam1991

Banned

"peace of mind".

And your response was a non-sequitur to Wrath's post. Nobody told anybody to "listen to manufacturer's wrong recommendations". You ignore the very simple, inexpensive oil analysis to provide you with the facts of how oil behaves in your car under your driving style.

I say, don't be burned by listening to forum voodoo from people who stubbornly refuse to gather actual facts.

For the average driver under a wide range of circumstances, using the manufacturer specified oils, 10K is no doubt fine. I say, you will discover that when you do a used oil analysis.

Reboot

Passed Driver's Ed
For Christ sakes stop asking for info on oil changes! This is how World War 3 will start, this will turn into a total crapfest in a blink of an eye. Just read the manual and do what you are comfortable with or just follow the simple rule if you're an average driver do a 10k mile interval, if you drive fast all the time do 5k mile interval, and get VW spec oil. That's it its not rocket science. On these forums there are two things people are willing to kill for and that is their choice of transmission DSG/Manual and Oil changes.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I'd like to add that doing extended drain intervals won’t void new vehicle warranties. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects you in this area. So if a manufacture says you can go 15k.. 25k on an oil change a dealer can't void you warranty because of it.

disagree... VW says 10months/10K? I would be pushing to deny wtty if I found out you didn't do the minimum.

mctriple

Passed Driver's Ed
Every 6 months for me. I put low miles on my car (work from home 80% of the time, so while my commute sucks, I don't have to commute much) and change based on months than miles. I also get up to 2 "free"/prepaid oil changes a year at my dealership, so might as well use those.

Status
Not open for further replies.