GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTI owner here, oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VdubbinCT

Ready to race!
I forget, when am I supposed to change the oil? at 10,000 miles? I am at 5500 miles now and used to changing every 5 to 6,000 miles with multi-blend in other cars. But this MK7 being synthetic I think I heard it lasts longer than most other cars for oil change intervals?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
VW recommends 10k, but a lot of owners still do it every 5k especially if the car gets driven hard.

this is very easily searchable btw

gs2online

Ready to race!
I forget, when am I supposed to change the oil? at 10,000 miles? I am at 5500 miles now and used to changing every 5 to 6,000 miles with multi-blend in other cars. But this MK7 being synthetic I think I heard it lasts longer than most other cars for oil change intervals?

Man , I doing mine every 5000k
I don't trust 10000k I've had my Mk7 8months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
Bought a 2018 GTI SE 6MT back in Sept. Changed oil at dealer after 2500 miles. Going to keep doing it every 5K miles.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Many threads on this and will turn into a political polemic quickly.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
If you just bought the car, change it at 5k. After that first change, do it at another 5k again so you are at nice even 10k, then do it every 10k from there on out.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Did the first change on mine a month ago, at 7400 miles/1year. Lab results from Blackstone say everything is normal.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Filter part numbers in my sig link. Please use the search as this has been discussed a ton.

I go every 7500. I don't trust the filters for 10k, the oil can last, but I've seen torn filters and two guys at two indie shops I used to go to both have had similar experiences even with Mann filters, which are great filters.

For what it costs me to get Mobil1 (after their insane rebates) and buying a 3 pack of filters, it's worth the peace of mind to me to change about every 6-8 months or 7500 miles.

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion

no blend, use 100% synthetic

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Does your oil routinely get up to operating temperature, 180+ F?

If yes -> 7,500-10,000/1yr

If no - > 5,000-7,500/1yr

How do you define "routinely"?

Assuming you drive the car more than 10 minutes per day, how could you not meet that criterion?

Status
Not open for further replies.