GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Garrett Turbos for MQB

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
If you push an IS38 hard enough you can shit a rod. So technically any time you push a motor it wouldn't be a bad idea to have it built beforehand. It's all about how much risk you want to take. Quite a few of us run hybrids on E85 on stock motors. Some pop quick some never pop. Luck of the draw, tuning, driving style, maintenance, etc... all play a part.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
If you push an IS38 hard enough you can shit a rod. So technically any time you push a motor it wouldn't be a bad idea to have it built beforehand. It's all about how much risk you want to take. Quite a few of us run hybrids on E85 on stock motors. Some pop quick some never pop. Luck of the draw, tuning, driving style, maintenance, etc... all play a part.
What do you consider "pushing an is38 hard enough"? Where's the limit in boost and HP in your opinion to keep it safe?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Boost and HP aren't the issue it's torque. An IS38 makes most torque in the 3-4k range. They'll push well into the 400s on ethanol if you want them to. That's what snaps rods. Shitty knocky tunes break piston ringlands and heat kills rings. At least when those happen you can rebuild the motor, a rod thrown through it you can't. So to me it's limiting torque is the most important thing. Move the power band out with a bigger turbo and don't run ALLL THE TIMING in the lower rev range and it should last....awhile.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
this is my thought too

That said, jumping to a GTX upgrade would require engine rebuild? Where the hybrid can bolt-on and you should be fine with the stock internals?
the GTX turbos are the old gen, very laggy compared to the g-series that the powermax turbos are based on. None of them *require* a built motor but if you want to spool them up more aggressively that's the ideal route.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Ok cool. Then this turbo should get me to where I would want to be with a GSW/Alltrack.

Sportwagen on 91oct and 28psi Garrett 2260 red lines, green lines is a CTS 550 UM dynotunes with MPI and 450 LPFP.
Car ran a 11.59 at 119 on Dragy also.
https://www.facebook.com/584449972/videos/pcb.3091329674474833/1085307202239111

mw1978

Ready to race!
Check this out guys
GLI engine code DKFA
full exhaust
Intake
Cooler
Pump gas 94(Canada)

power measured in BHP!!!!
31333395-F371-4814-A26B-5C694BCA7119.jpeg

mw1978

Ready to race!
So this is 377 at the wheel?
Hmmm this car has factory around 240bhp and power on this pic is measured in the same way. So 460-240=220bhp for car with full boltons and this turbo plus 94 gas

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I think the question is what is the actual WHP (and why is a shop in Canada showing BHP?) Yes, VW lists the motor as making 240bhp but we all know this isn't true. To have a comparison one would need to dyno on this dyno with this car in stock form and show what BHP it made. Was that done? Also, it actually shows WHP at 377, yes? No powertrain in 2021 has a 24% power loss through the wheels. That's horrid. If it actually made 377whp then it really only makes like 420BHP with real-world drivetrain loss.

mw1978

Ready to race!
I think the question is what is the actual WHP (and why is a shop in Canada showing BHP?) Yes, VW lists the motor as making 240bhp but we all know this isn't true. To have a comparison one would need to dyno on this dyno with this car in stock form and show what BHP it made. Was that done? Also, it actually shows WHP at 377, yes? No powertrain in 2021 has a 24% power loss through the wheels. That's horrid. If it actually made 377whp then it really only makes like 420BHP with real-world drivetrain loss.
Power is converted to BHP because this car was tuned remote from Europe and tuner wants to show power for Europe customers.
on this type of dyno stock GTI/GLI made 240hp
Stock S3 cjxc like my has around 310hp.
Here we measure car on crank not at wheels.