GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New clutch

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So I finally pulled the trigger on a new clutch. I am very mechanically inclined, however, I found a shop to install it all for $500. I looked at dkm, southbend, the DIY ttrs, and ecs. I am prety certain I have smoked my flywheel with the amount of slippage I have had after my jb4 install. (Wow, what an improvement!) So the ecs stage 2 performance with the install kit came to a grand total of $818. The tyres was by far the cheapest route, but I couldn't find any place to get a single mass flywheel. And a new vw dual mass was outrageous. (Cant remember the price, but wasn't wanting to spend that much in stock parts) the dkm came in 2nd. If memory serves me right, it came in at 1k with install kit. Southbend was the highest at around 1.3k without the install kit. I was looking for a clutch to hold around 400ft/lbs. The ecs one said it was rated for 400. The salesman seamed really helpful.

So the new clutch mails out monday. My question to everyone is, who's running ecs stage 2 clutch kits? Anything I should be concerned with? Feel free to leave thoughts good or bad. Looking for honest reviews. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Square1

Go Kart Champion
I don't have anything useful to add but I admire your bravery ordering the ECS clutch. I started last sping on a BFI stage 3 and replaced it in September with a DKM MS. I am very interested to see how it turns out.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Fcp has oem dmfw for 350-450$ that's really not too bad considering the engineering and quality of that factory piece.

The ecs kit is gonna be fine. Its similar to the fcp euro kit without the self adjusting PP.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
It has arrived! Got an appointment for the 27th for install. I'll keep everyone posted once in.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So after a week of delays, setbacks, the flu, and everything else that could hold up the project..... the clutch is now installed. I'll pick it up in a couple hours, so I'll post up an initial review tonight. I got a small trip planned for this weekend, so hopefully I'll pass the break in period by next weekend. I'm ready to see what she is made of now. I've only really gotten into the pedal once or twice after my jb4 install before the clutch gave out. So I'm excited to be able to really open it up!

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So I guess my first impressions is not very good at all. This thing is loud. Anything below 1200 rpm and it almost sounds like a valve is going to jump completely out of the motor. Also, the peddle is alot stiffer than anticipated. I still have the stock spring and diverter valve installed. I was really hoping it was somewhat close to stock for my wife. She has had 2 spinal and 2 sacroiliac fusion surgery's, so she might have a hard time with it. Overall, I guess I'll have to wait out the break in period to give a more detailed review. Stay tuned....

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
As is expected with a single mass flywheel, hopefully it'll quiet down as you break it in. At least you won't have to worry about any clutch slip.

RecycledDonuts

Ready to race!
Just ordered the BFI stage 3. I may do a similar post to this on my thoughts.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Please do. I'm about 300 miles in now and it's still prety loud and stiff. I know that's still early on, but figured I'd update. What's the stage 3 rating anyways? Depending on future mods I'm wandering if I have enough clutch for the long haul. Lol

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Please do. I'm about 300 miles in now and it's still prety loud and stiff. I know that's still early on, but figured I'd update. What's the stage 3 rating anyways? Depending on future mods I'm wandering if I have enough clutch for the long haul. Lol

That’s why I went with DKM twin disk, plenty of head room rated for 660ft lbs while maintaining nice daily driver manners that’s to organic disks

Hopefully it’ll get better with time, but if it doesn’t I’d highly suggest checking these out or if 400ftlbs is enough for you an OEM TTRS based DMF.

Here’s my review:
https://youtu.be/_vf1l0nbyL4

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
How much was the dkm? I wish my budget allowed more of a selection. The ttrs would have been awesome, however my shop wouldnt make the modifications to the pressure plate that was needed. Also, my stock flywheel was smoked. Here is the pics of what was left of my clutch. I asked the shop to save my old parts because I'm always curious like that.

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181107/0fbf7331a2cae81c432921f8973816cc.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181107/e1141358002a1a16eda347d03a20f3d0.jpg

I'm currently running Wavetrac LSD with Black Forest Industries Stage 3 clutch. When the clutch was first installed, it was extremely stiff. It's a very very heavy clutch, but it's amazing how much power it will hold. I personally don't mind that the clutch is heavy, and it feels normal to me now. With heavy usage, there is no problems and it has done well with 360whp, and driving spirited.

gti9251

Passed Driver's Ed
How much was the dkm? I wish my budget allowed more of a selection. The ttrs would have been awesome, however my shop wouldnt make the modifications to the pressure plate that was needed.

The "modifications" is to drill out the pressure plate mounting holes. Takes all of 3 mins. Just do it yourself and problem is solved.