GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Autox/Track/Weekend car?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
A startup I was in hit it pretty big. That means I have a nice little budget now to play with, wife (begrudgingly) approved.

So I basically have 75-100k to play with, not including the totally legit possibility of selling my R. I do ideally want a 2 car setup, a winter capable, comfortable but not completely boring DD, and an autocross/track car with an emphasis on fun and (generally) reliable. Ideally it would also be a good weekend/summer car. I'm leaning towards RWD or rear biased AWD. I don't have any experience driving rwd in anger so a 1000hp beast probably isn't the best fit!

Autox I'd like to be competitive (at a local/regional level at least) in Street or ST (200tw) classes.

Track use will be limited to HPDE, not wheel to wheel. Need to be able to drive it to and from the track, which in my state means definitely no engine swaps.

Anyway, considering some of the following but definitely looking for input and any other cars I should consider.. These would put the R back on full time DD duty. I'm in no particular hurry so I'm fine waiting for a car.

Roughly ordered cheap to expensive... The higher I go the more flack I get from the wife :LOL: and the more track insurance costs, so I'm thinking I might stay in the mid range or below.

ND Miata (probably stock for a bit then moving to STR)
Fiata 124 Spider Abarth
New BRZ/GT86
GR Corolla
Corvette C6 Z06

BMW M2 Comp
Corvette C7 grand sport
981 Cayman S
Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Lotus Emira V6(thing looks GORGEOUS, no clue on autox prowess)
991.1 911 C2S
Corvette C8 stingray

Going cheaper would potentially mean I replace the R with something nicer for DD use. Or I could go down a bit and get a used Chevy Volt or something if my summer car is pretty capable/reliable (like the Caddy or the Porsches).

Bit off topic I know, but the folks in this part of the forum generally have a lot of good experience and advice, so figured I'd ask.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Hate mail?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Pay off your debt, put as much as you can towards retirement, then get a GTI or New R. 😆
No debt (besides a very low Apr mortgage and a 0% loan on my solar panels that don't make sense to pay off), on track to retire in my 50s even at current salary level... I have enough I can splurge a bit now! Plus I have a third garage spot that needs filling.

Last edited:

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
No debt (besides a very low Apr mortgage and a 0% loan on my solar panels that don't make sense to pay off), on track to retire in my early 50s even at current salary level... I have enough I can splurge a bit now! Plus I have a third garage spot that needs filling.
What a terrible problem to have, good luck.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I just rrented on Turo a brand new manual GR86. The torque curve on the revised model is robust. This is the car I would get as a track/autox specific car these days.
I rented a manual ND Miata the day after the GR86 and as much as liked the Miata I felt the GR86 had the power and handling to tick all the boxes.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Was at Bristol for the first time ever last month. Seemed like the top 10 raw times came from cars beginning with 'Chevy'.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Was at Bristol for the first time ever last month. Seemed like the top 10 raw times came from cars beginning with 'Chevy'.
Yeah between the Camaro ZL1/1LE and the Corvettes, Chevy has really nailed the performance car segment. Just a question if I want to have that as my weekend/summer car too... I have some test driving to do for sure!

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Yeah between the Camaro ZL1/1LE and the Corvettes, Chevy has really nailed the performance car segment. Just a question if I want to have that as my weekend/summer car too... I have some test driving to do for sure!
Lol savor it

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
C8. Rode with an hpde instructor on track and he had ps4s on there and that thing gripped like crazy and launched out of corners with no drama.

Not sure how competitive in autox, but track days, it's pretty good

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Congrats on the startup success! I tried the startup route and Man, what a ride. Now I am back at a huge corporation and life is…much more stable and predictable.

I’d go for the Cayman if I were you. I have experience with a tuned ats-v and I liked it until I took it to the track. It felt capable enough but immediately knew I’d sell it after riding in a Cayman GT4. I’d recommend against the ct4vbw due to the weight/ size.

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
I remember following @Cliff Golf R HPDE prep thread before he jumped to a 981 Cayman S. Probably has some good insight on MK7->981 if he still logs on at all. My vote would be new BRZ/GR86 and a membership at whatever track near you has lots of member days.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I remember following @Cliff Golf R HPDE prep thread before he jumped to a 981 Cayman S. Probably has some good insight on MK7->981 if he still logs on at all. My vote would be new BRZ/GR86 and a membership at whatever track near you has lots of member days.
My familial obligations mean that my track time is fairly limited (1-2 days a month), so unfortunately wouldn't pay off great for me right now... But that's a great idea in general!