GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Needed a daily driver.....said "eff it" and got an R after planning on a GTI

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Good decision! I love my GTi but all that wheelspin....

That's why my MKV GTI with mods went bye-bye and I got the Golf R.

I really missed the AWD after selling my '98.5 Audi A4 1.8t.

Interesting thing happened... when the dealer gave me private party blue book for my MKV I got a call the next week on the body kit it had on it.

"Ahhh, is that the Thunderbunny kit?"

Me: No, that's the OEM Votex $1,650 option when I bought it from you all!

I emailed them this picture the day I brought her home:

Email reply: SILENCE

The car was AWESOME, just needed AWD.

Last edited:

PGT

Ready to race!
quick stop at Hobby Lobby for some adhesive felt....

There we go....hopefully, the receptacle will be quiet when not occupied now. Also put some on the driver's side to keep it from rubbing the console

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Congrats. I sort of did the same thing. Absolutely no regrets. I love this car. God, Family, Golf R. That's my love order. Lol.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Yeah even driving my Q5 today was kind of blah.

The Goat

Ready to race!
I haven't driven the GTI or R, just comparing what I can see lol. But I do like the carbon metallic of the GTI (a very very dark grey) better than the LSG of the R.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
sold my stock wheels/tires on eBay....waiting on the BBS to arrive. Weee.....

What do you have on it in the meantime then? Lol.

P.S. How much did you net after shipping for the stock Cadiz with tires?

PGT

Ready to race!
Nothing LOL. I made it clear I'd ship on Friday after the wheels and tires arrive and get mounted.

I got $1900/shipped....after shipping and eBay/Paypal fees, that nets me about $10. :p

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Nothing LOL. I made it clear I'd ship on Friday after the wheels and tires arrive and get mounted.

I got $1900/shipped....after shipping and eBay/Paypal fees, that nets me about $10. :p

Lol seriously though. $1900 shipped. Its cost me like maybe 150 to ship a set of Huffs before across the US from CA to FL I think. Thats a pretty good price if you netted anything over like $1500.

catdog1

Passed Driver's Ed
So drove an R yesterday for extended period of time and compared to my GTI PP/DCC/LP Manual, it's a very different experience even though the car look so similar.

First off, the R has 19's with RE050 compared to P7 all-season on 18's and its much stiffer on bad pavement even in comfort mode.

The R is much more settled down, with less roll in turns and corners flatter. The engine sounds much better especially with engine on sport and exhausts flaps open.

I didn't take it over 4k rpm so I'm sure not able to assess its top end feel but there was a whole lot of nicer mechanical noise, including a deeper turbo whine which is lower in pitch and nicer than the slightly buzzy one on the GTI. But also, definitely more turbo lag, and i kind of like that (don't ask, reminds me of on-off behavior of early 80's turbos). The DSG is very impressive but manual was obviously more involving and fun but definitely slower.

What an impressive car... i have to say the GTI seemed more nimble at low speeds and around town but maybe that's just an impression. At higher speeds, the R imparts much more confidence but that could be partly due to the summer tires/19's.

Finally, the suspension over bumps has a lot more stuff moving around and tramming in the R than the GTI, maybe because of the diff in back etc. or again the stiffer tire/wheels combo.

Question: among the R owners who switched from 19's to 18's wheels with softer tires, any thoughts?

Overall, what a car...except for that tiny infotainment screen.

Nyanga

Ready to race!
Congrats.

I like that colour.

Spinal

Ready to race!
Good choice, what were the prices of the GTI's you were looking at? What did it for me to purchase the R was the $3500 difference (similarly equipped of course) - small in comparison to what you get.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I thought the PP GTIs came with summer tires?