GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need your opinion

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Stage 1 doesn't maintain a warranty. It might be apr plus, which apr covers some potential damage, but it's not a substitute for a full powertrain warranty.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Beat me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
If it's any consolation, I was about to post that I beat you to it, but then you beat me to it.

We're even steven

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Actually, APR plus doens't replace your factory warranty. If you take your APR Plus tuned vehicle to a VW dealer, you may get warranty service and you may not if the issue is deemed to be caused by the tune. At that time you can certainly call APR and get their preferred provider to fix it under their warranty.

Dkyacht

Passed Driver's Ed
That's crazy..... How is a dealership installing this then? Sounds very crappy to me. I'll have to read the fine print as I was definitely told it keeps the warranty.

Dave

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Are those tunes ones that I can get at the dealership? They told me stage one keeps the warranty intact?

Dave

You need a Cobb Access Port for those tunes. All stage 1 tunes will void the "factory" warranty. You could get a JB4 most people say it's not detectable.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
That's crazy..... How is a dealership installing this then? Sounds very crappy to me. I'll have to read the fine print as I was definitely told it keeps the warranty.

Dave

Some dealers are also APR dealers. They're basically upselling you with shady tactics. The APR+ program replaces and mirrors the factory power train warranty, because they are aware it voids the factory power train warranty. It's not a bad program, you just want to know what you're buying.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

Dave

Just remember, the dealer may promise you something but it’s not their warranty.

Dkyacht

Passed Driver's Ed
So I'm running away from this dealership. 1 red flag after another. Contacted a sales manager at a dealership in Tampa that has identical car. Told him I didn't want all the B's back and forward stuff just to give me his out the door best price. He came in $2500 below the other dealership exactly where I wanted to be. Should have it by the weekend.

Dave

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Public Service Announcement: try to always buy a car off the lot on the last Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday of the month. Research first, but start by wandering around the lot looking for the one you want that you know is already there.

Those are the slowest days at dealerships, and you are more likely to be approached by the guy who needs to make his sales that month the most, first of all. Bonus points if it's a bad weather day.

Dkyacht

Passed Driver's Ed
Public Service Announcement: try to always buy a car off the lot on the last Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday of the month. Research first, but start by wandering around the lot looking for the one you want that you know is already there.

Those are the slowest days at dealerships, and you are more likely to be approached by the guy who needs to make his sales that month the most, first of all. Bonus points if it's a bad weather day.

Great info thanks.

Dave

Dkyacht

Passed Driver's Ed
Going to get the car tomorrow. Got the PS4S tires worked into the deal. Can't wait. I'll post a few pics once I get it.

Dave

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Nice- that's awesome!! Yep, a dealership has use for 225/40/18 takeoffs for sure.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
op: This is my experience and opinion of the GTI. This is my 5th year with it.

I may be in minority here but GTI is not at all comfortable for me, I have no DCC though. I am actually considering getting rid of it for that and few other reasons.
Around where I live roads are terrible and you can literally feel any imperfection on the road...nice tight handling doesn't come free I know. I have stock wheels with PS4S (225/40R18).
My other gripe is seats, they really need some more lumbar support as I come out of the car with the stiff lower back after only few hrs of driving and I wish they had little less bolstering as well...oh well.
Not sure if op is getting manual...I have manual gearbox, and quite frankly it is not the best, I would dare to say that it sucks. Out of the box it's clutch action is vague with inconsistent bite point and I did all the usual mods removing the CDV and spring assist assembly, it is improved but still kind of clunky.
Pedal arrangement is also not that great if you are manual driver...they are located kind of high of the floor.
Car eats coolant for some reason, I've had two different dealers do a pressure test and visually inspect, couldn't find anything wrong, no drips under the car either. Every 6-7k miles coolant hits min line in expansion tank...go figure, I gave up on it. I bought container of G13 coolant that I keep mixing with distilled water and adding every time it hits min. Most likely the infamous thermostat housing or crappy VW water pump. They are guaranteed to go at some point.
Again if you buy a manual, some people have started experiencing crank walking issues. This is a big one where the thrust washer falls out of the crankshaft into the oil pan and in the process engine destroys itself. Mine hasn't shown any signs of this , but I keep thinking what if...
Out of warranty I had to replace upstream O2 sensor (threw a CEL) and sway bar connecting links. One time got EPC light that went away on it's own.
Gas mileage is great unless you have a heavy foot and you drive in a lot of stop-and-go traffic. Cruising speed limit on the highway, you will definitely exceed mpg rating in the window sticker.
It's a great little car that does lot of things OK but none great. I think I am done with it though. I have GSW as well, so that one I intend to keep around for awhile.
Good luck with your purchase.