GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need your opinion

relive

Ready to race!
If you're buying new, summer tires are a no-cost option. They were Bridgestone Potenza S001 for the Mk7, but I don't know if this is still the stock summer tire for the Mk7.5.

In any case, in Florida, I would opt for the factory summer tires, and then get a set of PS4S after they wear out.

Dkyacht

Passed Driver's Ed
If you're buying new, summer tires are a no-cost option. They were Bridgestone Potenza S001 for the Mk7, but I don't know if this is still the stock summer tire for the Mk7.5.

In any case, in Florida, I would opt for the factory summer tires, and then get a set of PS4S after they wear out.
Ok thank you, good to know. Sorry for my ignorance but regarding tire sizes I'm use to 37"x13.50x17r sorry I'm a truck guy.... I looked at some of the other threads regarding summer tires and there were all sorts of numbers being thrown around. Many people seem to like the Michelin PSS. I'm assuming the numbers are the way they measure car tires? Instead of just using inches... Is there a ideal size on the stock wheels to get the "look" and better traction?

Dave

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Stock tires are 225/40/r18.

Lots of people (me too) are riding on 235/40/r18 but on aftermarket wheels.

For tire size the first number is the width in millimeters. The second number is the aspect ratio of sidewall height to tire width. The 3rd number is the wheel radius.

For a stock GTI you have 225 millimeter wide tires where the sidewall height is 40% of 225 or 90 millimeters. The stock wheel width is 7.5 inches, just fyi.

Dkyacht

Passed Driver's Ed
Stock tires are 225/40/r18.

Lots of people (me too) are riding on 235/40/r18 but on aftermarket wheels.

For tire size the first number is the width in millimeters. The second number is the aspect ratio of sidewall height to tire width. The 3rd number is the wheel radius.

For a stock GTI you have 225 millimeter wide tires where the sidewall height is 40% of 225 or 90 millimeters. The stock wheel width is 7.5 inches, just fyi.
Ok I understand now thank you. So to go to a 235 you need a aftermarket wheel? Is going from a 225 to a 235 a very noticeable difference?

Dave

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
You don't necessarily need a wider wheel to go to 235 but it does look awesome :D

It looks different and fills up the wheel well better. I can't really say if 235 performance is better vs. 225 as far as grip and handling go.

Dkyacht

Passed Driver's Ed
You don't necessarily need a wider wheel to go to 235 but it does look awesome :D

It looks different and fills up the wheel well better. I can't really say if 235 performance is better vs. 225 as far as grip and handling go.
[emoji106][emoji106]

Dave

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
Great info guys, thank you all very much. Another question, both rental cars I drove had very noisy tires. I'm assuming being a rental they only care about as many miles per set as possible. Are the tires that come stock on these cars good or is there "A" tire that works really good on these? Probably a loaded question as everyone has their own taste..... Just looking for quiet and good traction. Don't care about long life. 1 of my truck tires probably costs what 2 or 3 cost for these cars... Lol

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ I did a review on them here https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54896&highlight=cmarnold78

If you don't see snow or cold weather Pilot Sport 4s

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
Hi guys, my name is Dave. New to this forum. Had a few question for you if you're willing to help. I live in Florida near Ocala "recently moved here" and commute to Fort Lauderdale once or twice a week for work. It's about a 4 and 1/2 to 5 hour drive. I've been doing it in my heavily modified 700hp F250 and it's just beating the crap out of me. The last few trips I rented cars from Enterprise to see how it was "never owned a car before". Needless to say I'm sold on the idea of getting a second vehicle. I rented a Toyota Camry which was okay but then I rented a Jetta SE which I liked much more. Which led me to the GTI Autobahn which they obviously don't rent. From what I can tell the interior dimensions are very similar to the Jetta So I know I'll fit good "6'3" 230lbs". My questions are this....

1st to anyone who has done long trips in the GTI. Comfortable? Good ride? Etc...

2nd are you really getting 31-32mpg on the highway?

Have you been in a serious accident with it "hopefully not" if so do you feel it protected you well?

Lastly, many problems with it? Well built and reliable?

I appreciate any input you can share with me.

I'm pretty locked on the Golf GTI Autobahn for 2 reasons. That trim level has the adaptive cruise control, Lane keep assist stuff which is super nice on a long trip. And second the thing looks like a blast to drive! Thanks again....

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

1. Seems super comfortable to me (I am 175) the seats may be snug for you so give them a good test out. They hug you!

2. On long trips I get around 36mpg and that wasn't really trying to drive economically. On average mixed probably around 28.

3. No accidents but feel safe. 6 or 8 airbags, lane departure, automatic breaking, blindspot monitoring just helps keep you safer. Also you can almost stop on a dime with the strong breaks. Obviously a lot lighter than any truck so when you hit the breaks you stop.

4. No problems so far after a year ownership of the 7.5 SE

5. Definitely change the tires. The stock ones are rubbish. Pilot Sports A/S 3+ completely transform the driving experience of the car if you remotely drive spirited.

6. If you enjoy driving and get the DSG do yourself a favour and get the paddle shifter extensions. There are lots out there but I got these https://www.uspmotorsports.com/VWR-...2C_LaiUJPDAfROqTN46tRKtF0eMqHAbIaAk0UEALw_wcB

Honestly there isn't a better all round fun car than the GTI... (Maybe the R but thats another debate).

Dkyacht

Passed Driver's Ed
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ I did a review on them here https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54896&highlight=cmarnold78

If you don't see snow or cold weather Pilot Sport 4s
Read your review, great info thank you!
1. Seems super comfortable to me (I am 175) the seats may be snug for you so give them a good test out. They hug you!

2. On long trips I get around 36mpg and that wasn't really trying to drive economically. On average mixed probably around 28.

3. No accidents but feel safe. 6 or 8 airbags, lane departure, automatic breaking, blindspot monitoring just helps keep you safer. Also you can almost stop on a dime with the strong breaks. Obviously a lot lighter than any truck so when you hit the breaks you stop.

4. No problems so far after a year ownership of the 7.5 SE

5. Definitely change the tires. The stock ones are rubbish. Pilot Sports A/S 3+ completely transform the driving experience of the car if you remotely drive spirited.

6. If you enjoy driving and get the DSG do yourself a favour and get the paddle shifter extensions. There are lots out there but I got these https://www.uspmotorsports.com/VWR-...2C_LaiUJPDAfROqTN46tRKtF0eMqHAbIaAk0UEALw_wcB

Honestly there isn't a better all round fun car than the GTI... (Maybe the R but thats another debate).
Thanks, appreciate your opinion. When you guys talk about "winter" tires that winter like Michigan, New York etc right? We just moved near Ocala FL and looking at the historical weather they do get down in the 30's at night but then it's usually 40's and 50's during the day.

Dave

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Read your review, great info thank you! Thanks, appreciate your opinion. When you guys talk about "winter" tires that winter like Michigan, New York etc right? We just moved near Ocala FL and looking at the historical weather they do get down in the 30's at night but then it's usually 40's and 50's during the day.

Dave

Yes they are talking about areas that get snow.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Owner of a 2015 Gti here;
1) The longest trip I have ever driven my Gti non-stop has been about 3 1/2 hours. I have the leather interior; these seats are great! They are also very comfortable even after driving those hours. The car drives very smooth, and I almost fell asleep once when I left the car on CC while on the highway! lol. Side note, I also have the Fender system, and its definitely an awesome thing to have :cool:
2) On the highway, I usually never go below 32mpg, I am almost always over 40mpg to be honest. So great gas mileage when using top tier gas.
3) I have never been in any kind of accident in my Gti (thank heavens). I feel very safe driving the car, and there aren't many "blind spots".
4) As previously stated, it is a 2015 model with about 50k on the clock. I have never had any problems with the car. I did however have to get a new battery, but its not the car's fault. Here in Chicago, we have very hot summers and very very cold winters, but the stock battery did last me 4 years.

The Gti is an awesome all-around car and you won't regret it :D.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’m 6’2” 190 and I’m very comfortable in my gti, although my buddy just got the 2019 GLI autobahn and it’s definitely more comfortable (heated/cooled leather) and slightly larger.

I’ve driven my car to Nashville (6 hours) and Ohio (8 hours) with no issues or complaints. It’s a great road trip car and gets 32mpg at 80mph with the occasional gtfo the way 100mph pass

For 2019 the GLI was completely redesigned and now on the same platform as the gti & R.

I usually get between 27-30mpg, but my car is 320ish hp

On the same commute the GLI gets 32-36mpg (he’s nicer to it, and it’s bone stock). Both cars are manual

As for accidents this is another friends 2016 gti that got hit going 35ish mph (kid ran a stop sign). Bags went off and the driver wasn’t injured other than your standard bumps and bruises

Last edited:

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Not saying don’t get a gti or jetta or something like that but if it was me, and i only had to drive 20 hrs a week highway, I would probably buy a cheap beater to drive there n back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Not saying don’t get a gti or jetta or something like that but if it was me, and i only had to drive 20 hrs a week highway, I would probably buy a cheap beater to drive there n back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s probably looking at it like I do, as my dad suggested I do the same for my commute.

-can’t put a price on safety and reliability (beater car doesn’t check those boxes).

-the creature comforts and amount of time spent enjoying them

That’s the justification for putting 80k on mine

petepenebre

Mk7 autobahn here I'm in Florida. I'll add a couple of random thoughts. For a guy your size, you might find your right shin up against the center console more than you like on a long drive. The car is amazing in every way. Dcc on comfort feels like a water balloon. Too soft for me, but comfort will not be a problem suspension wise.
Stock Potenza tires SUCK in the wet. I'm not kidding. And down here, that's no joke. I'm getting lots of high recommendations for conti extreme or sure contact. That's my next purchase when I'm done wasting these Potenzas.
Fender sound system is glorious on a road trip. Sunroof. This car is happy hammering down on the highway as hard as you want all day.
Performance pack brakes are the best I've ever used. The whole cockpit is just lovely. Fits like a glove. This car is so good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk