GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need your opinion

Dkyacht

Passed Driver's Ed
He’s probably looking at it like I do, as my dad suggested I do the same for my commute.

-can’t put a price on safety and reliability (beater car doesn’t check those boxes).

-the creature comforts and amount of time spent enjoying them

That’s the justification for putting 80k on mine
I get the beater comment, to be honest it's more about comfort and saving money on fuel. My truck, which I LOVE costs around $130 in Diesel round trip. With the economy you guys are getting round trip will cost maybe 20 or 30 bucks! My truck rides nice for 1 or 2 hour trips but 9-10 hour trips just break me. I'm definitely sold "short of a test drive" which I'm doing tomorrow. Thank you so much for all the responses. Really reassured me on what I thought I already knew.

Dave

Dkyacht

Passed Driver's Ed
Mk7 autobahn here I'm in Florida. I'll add a couple of random thoughts. For a guy your size, you might find your right shin up against the center console more than you like on a long drive. The car is amazing in every way. Dcc on comfort feels like a water balloon. Too soft for me, but comfort will not be a problem suspension wise.
Stock Potenza tires SUCK in the wet. I'm not kidding. And down here, that's no joke. I'm getting lots of high recommendations for conti extreme or sure contact. That's my next purchase when I'm done wasting these Potenzas.
Fender sound system is glorious on a road trip. Sunroof. This car is happy hammering down on the highway as hard as you want all day.
Performance pack brakes are the best I've ever used. The whole cockpit is just lovely. Fits like a glove. This car is so good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thx Pete, makes me want it today to enjoy all that goodness! I've sat in a few and I definitely fit great gonna do a extended test drive tomorrow. Told the dealer if I can't go at least 40 miles I'm not interested. They said sure.

Dave

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thx Pete, makes me want it today to enjoy all that goodness! I've sat in a few and I definitely fit great gonna do a extended test drive tomorrow. Told the dealer if I can't go at least 40 miles I'm not interested. They said sure.

Dave

Also take note the steering wheel is almost indefinitely adjustable (telescopes and tilts. For us taller guys you can really dial in your seat with the ability to move the wheel so drastically

Dkyacht

Passed Driver's Ed
Also take note the steering wheel is almost indefinitely adjustable (telescopes and tilts. For us taller guys you can really dial in your seat with the ability to move the wheel so drastically
Yes I hope to be able to play and adjust as much as I can tomorrow.

Dave

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
When I was stock I was able to get 41mpg on a flat 60mph road to the beach. Average is about 27mpg for me, driving kinda hard. Mine has been pretty reliable, 65k and only thing that went bad was a gas cap door actuator. I feel very safe in this car, more safe then our Tundra oddly enough. The car feels heavy in a good way, it doesn’t bounce and rattle around like most people think a small, light car would. The car also handles and stops on a dime. I would say go for it. As mentioned above though, if your getting a 2019 6 speed manual I would probably avoid it and go with a dsg or a 2018 Manual. The 2019 6mt are have unintended stalling for no reason and VW can’t figure it out yet.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Reliability: seems pretty solid. I'm at 70k mi. Only problem I've noticed is a very slow coolant leak. This is a known issue with the thermostat housing.

MPG: I get about 33 mpg going 73-75 mph over the course of 29 miles. And I have a relatively heavy foot.

Safety: it's a relatively compact hatchback. Honestly, I cannot say it's safer than other things out there. But what do I know.

FactoryMatt

Passed Driver's Ed
cars pretty solid. planted in high speed corners if you ditch the stock all seasons. and the motor feels like a truck motor to boot. big long stroke and sounds terrible. you'll love it.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
1st to anyone who has done long trips in the GTI. Comfortable? Good ride? Etc...

2nd are you really getting 31-32mpg on the highway?

Have you been in a serious accident with it "hopefully not" if so do you feel it protected you well?

Lastly, many problems with it? Well built and reliable?

I have an '18 Autobahn and do long drives a few weekends a month. I'm 5'10 and 155 lbs so the seats are perfect for me. You should get in and out of the test drive car a few times in a row and see if they're a good fit for you. It's not an F250 where you step up. The ACC in light traffic on long rides is really nice. DCC in Comfort is a bit land yacht but it soaks up the nasty stuff. I never forget to turn it off, it's that floaty. Android Auto integration is great on the big screen. I replaced the stock Miltons with 18x8.5 Neuspeeds and summer tires, which transformed the car.

I routinely get 32mpg in mixed city highway or all 75-80mph highway on off-brand premium. Up it to top tier and I will get another 1-2mpg. This car is fuel-quality sensitive and even stock will adjust power accordingly. It will run on 87 but without the snap of the good stuff.

I have not been in a serious wreck but there are plenty who have.

Well built and reliable? It's a VW. They are known for having nagging little issues that over time you just learn to accept. This is my 7th VW and 4th GTI, and they all have had their faults. None of them, though, has ever left me stranded. If you're looking for perfection, look elsewhere.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
1: I'm 6'0", 150ish lbs. Took the car on a few roads trips from Ohio to Myrtle Beach, Asheville NC, and West Virginia and it was really comfortable. My only complaint is it needs a bit more lumbar support. My lower back has bothered me for years and it can get a little stiff on long trips. I ride in sport suspension on DCC for 85% of the time

2: On the highway I have hit as high as 48 mpg on a 30 mile commute home from work one day. Note I've only done this once and have no idea how I did it, and the car was newer (couple months old) at the time. Now I average about 32-34 mpg highway and thats with a little bit of aggressive driving thrown in. If I try really to get good MPG, I can hit 36 average mpg on 20 mile highway commutes.

3: Problems I have had with the car. Sunroof leaked when new, fixed under TSB. Very small coolant loss. Don't know where its going but it needs topped off about once a year so no big deal. Rear wheel bearing will need replaced soon (54k miles on the clock). Other than that the car has been absolutely solid for me.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Welcome !

I consistently get 32mpg with mixed city/highway as I routinely every weekend drive 500 miles round trip to check on my mom back home in Lousiana. The roads are mixed smoothness. My car is lowered and I have Pilot Sport tires. The ride is good and sporty, like my 3 series on highways and interstates. Bumpy roads are not fun, but the GTI handles them and refuses to lose its composure. Tire noise is what annoys me the most and I have to say I prefer the Pilot's over the stock Potenza's.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
also:
1st to anyone who has done long trips in the GTI. Comfortable? Good ride? Etc...
Yes, driven 1-2hrs is fine, I never drove over 3 hrs tho

2nd are you really getting 31-32mpg on the highway?
I got 43mpg the other day on highway

Have you been in a serious accident with it "hopefully not" if so do you feel it protected you well?
Never been, I hope its safe
Lastly, many problems with it? Well built and reliable?
2019 have some issues, I would stick with 2018

Lastly, Im 6'0 270 and i fit fine, My dad is 6'4 250 and he said there was surprisingly good head room

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Yes, driven 1-2hrs is fine, I never drove over 3 hrs tho

I drove over 8 hours straight through Germany-Holland-Belgium in horrible weather on 2 hours sleep(damn ferry cots) last Christmas only stopping for lunch without even getting a tired back.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
the steering wheel won't go up very high, I am 6 and 190, and my knees almost hit it. you can pull the seat farther away but the pillar might obstruct your left view.

am confortable in the plaid seat over 2 hrs drive
you'd get mid to high 30 mileages for your routine trips on highway

Dkyacht

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok so finally got to do the test drive today. Everything I hoped it would be and more. Absolutely fell in love. Only complaint is 1 I was some what expecting. The stock all season tires.... Noisy, and got them squealing without driving hard at all. So my question is this many of you recommended several different tires. All of which I'm sure are great. But which one do I get? I've been paying $400+ per tire for my truck so money isn't a issue for these tires. I want quiet and glued to the road in wet or dry conditions. Does 1 tire stick out when I say that? I'm not gonna be drag racing or going to the track to race. Mainly just highway driving with some country road relaxing drives. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave

jrdigioia

Passed Driver's Ed
Agree - the stock tires suck. Winter is coming up here , so winter setup comes first. I’m switching stock tires to As3 plus next year. Had them on my last car and they were quite good. :cool: