GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nav Pro and Discover map updates

Stripey

Ready to race!
Shows speed limit on the map, but not on the MFD that I'm aware of. There is an option in settings to turn this feature on/off.

Stripey

Ready to race!
5 years of updates now instead of three and it includes existing owners.

I read on another forum that updates for the golf navigation (and various others) are free for life. This is why it costs so much to spec the nav in the first place (in the UK anyway) as the cost of the updates is built in to the price. The exact same sat nav in the Seat Leon does not have free updates because it is a much cheaper option.

GolfPilot

Ready to race!
As I said before though, the SD card only has enough licenses for 6 updates. You would need to buy a new SD card from VW to continue updating after 3 years.

GP

pjr

Ready to race!
Hi, I dont have sd card with the maps on.I guess its installed on the internal drive :confused:

If you have the Pro Nav then you can use pretty much any suitable SD card to update your maps, and the data is copied onto the internal drive during the update process.

With the Discover Nav you must use the SD card which came with the car.

Thinking about it now, if indeed there is some sort of counter on the SD card to limit the number of updates for the Discover Nav, how is it done on the Pro Nav when you can use any SD card?

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
You now get 5 years free updates no questions asked on nav pro and discover. Its in this months VW driver magazine. I can't figure out how VW were ever going to limit downloads on the nav pro and even if they did it could be got round somehow.

Tyler Durden

Ready to race!
If you have the Pro Nav then you can use pretty much any suitable SD card to update your maps, and the data is copied onto the internal drive during the update process.

With the Discover Nav you must use the SD card which came with the car.

Thinking about it now, if indeed there is some sort of counter on the SD card to limit the number of updates for the Discover Nav, how is it done on the Pro Nav when you can use any SD card?

Ditto, I am wondering on this one too.

apoc_reg

Passed Driver's Ed
So my discover nav has software 5g0919866n 0040 ece 2014/15

Does anyone know if that's the recent November update? Thanks!

James75

Go Kart Champion
Slightly off topic, but with the discover media, does this show the speed limit of the road on the mfd? or is this exclusive to the pro nav?

VCDS in the UK at least can do this if you have the Lane Assist Camera.

Attachments

• tsr2.jpg
    tsr2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,875
  • MPG14.jpg
    MPG14.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,774

apoc_reg

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow that looks good, mine doesn't do that with standard discover nav (I have no lane assist so maybe that's why)

Planet78

Passed Driver's Ed
So, I bought a brand new Sandisk 32gb SD card which arrived today. Took about 5 hours to download the latest update then another 30 minutes to unzip it onto the card. Then another 2 hours to run the update on the car. It got to 100% and then spat an error message out about a download error and gave up. Anyone any idea what went wrong?

Planet78

Passed Driver's Ed
Thought I'd have another stab at it this morning so I formatted the SD card and copied the whole lot over to it again. Went to the car and while going to the software update screen, I noticed that the maps version was now showing 2015, so it looks like it worked yesterday despite the error message at the end.