GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

my tuned GTI suffered a catastrophic engine failure...

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Pro-Tune/Customs are optimized and provide for customization - whether they be power increases, throttle behavior, lower torque value, etc....
Reputable OTS tunes are typically on the moderate/safer side in their value/table settings. I don't believe that any certified tuner is adjusting the operation of the stock knock sensors.
Problems that occur are so variable that you can't discuss these w/o writing a dissertation for them. Basically, user error.

The cheap and easy approach is more judgemental than factual and has nothing to do with longevity - that is a factor applied more from the user than the tune itself.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
When I ran 91 on my MK5's 93 APR tune I saw no difference. I never heard any knocking, even going uphill under load, and I tried. APR makes it sound like their program has no ability to retard the timing for lower octane fuels. Does anyone know if that's true? Anyone log timing and knock sensor voltage on both fuels? Anyone ever hear knocking on a lower fuel? Anyone spend a lot of time and money on a dyno to look for lower HP? Can you even be sure intake temps are not to blame for lower readings? It's not like you can really duplicate runs. On top of all this, you would need to measure the octanes yourself since it can vary.

Last edited:

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I also had a protuned STI eat cylinder #4 ringlands, and it was done by a reputable tuner that was told to make a safe, trackable tune. Now I know STI and GTI are way different platforms, but protunes can and do go wrong sometimes too.

Of course. Any modification can have adverse effects, especially tunes. But like most things you pay a premium for (what you perceive to be) the best available option.

My mazdaspeed3 was protuned at 23k miles and despite everything else the engine ran like a fucking top until I sold it at 175k. Your results may vary.

That same tuner still races his built MS3 and tunes several platforms now, including the EA888, but there is next to nothing regarding his work on the VW forums which is the only thing that gives me pause right now.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I also had a protuned STI eat cylinder #4 ringlands, and it was done by a reputable tuner that was told to make a safe, trackable tune. Now I know STI and GTI are way different platforms, but protunes can and do go wrong sometimes too.
This. A lot. Even with a pro tune you’re still at the mercy of your platform and external forces

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
I can monitor knock. So far so good. Also dyno’d her today too. Even after three runs. No knock yet

some folks get an ots and never monitor knock 🤷🏽‍♂️
The dyno you went to and the Dyno APR used will have completely different variations of actual "WHP".
Do you know why?

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
In regards to detonation/knock and running a 91 tune with 93 fuel:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a higher octane basically allow for greater compression without detonation (the igniting of fuel in cylinder based on compression and heat BEFORE the spark plug is supposed to ignite it)? By that regard, by running the higher "unnecessary" octane, you are giving the engine a greater safety margin?

On the contrary, diesel motors do rely on detonation for ignition as they do not have spark plugs.

Am I on the right track?

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
In regards to detonation/knock and running a 91 tune with 93 fuel:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a higher octane basically allow for greater compression without detonation (the igniting of fuel in cylinder based on compression and heat BEFORE the spark plug is supposed to ignite it)? By that regard, by running the higher "unnecessary" octane, you are giving the engine a greater safety margin?

On the contrary, diesel motors do rely on detonation for ignition as they do not have spark plugs.

Am I on the right track?
If he has a 91 Tune and uses 93, then in essence he is already applying additional safety. That also can aide with possible poor fuel quality from the 91 pump.
Explain the "sacrifice" when using a higher octane than required on any given tune?
No, not less power. It just becomes more "knock resistant" - slower burn rate = cleaner burn.
Sort of (Read above)

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I am not referring to this whole "knock" nonsense - I was really asking the question in hopes that you do in fact understand automotove engineering.
My masters in engineering, 9 years on 2 gm ecotec teams, and eternity on many private teams says so

do yourself a favor. Don’t try to offer unsolicited advice.If one asks a question, that’s one thing. I don’t know the ea888 platform. I really am just now getting my feet wet. And I am grateful to the folks here who always answer my questions.

your not going to be more knowledgeable than everyone here. And neither will I. I assure you, if I’m curious about something I know how to search. And if that doesn’t work I’ll ask.

you’re very presumptuous and that is very unbecoming