GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My TPC20 Turbo Build... NOW TPC38BB Build

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion
Anyone here TPC20 with DSG?

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
yeah tuning is what adds up, for me it would be protune (4-500) and AP (675) which is a lot. I say keep the whole old turbo unit so when its said and done, you can put the stock is20 back on and sell the BT unit. Kinda my plan with all OEM stuff when I go to sell the car in 100k miles or so

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion
yeah tuning is what adds up, for me it would be protune (4-500) and AP (675) which is a lot. I say keep the whole old turbo unit so when its said and done, you can put the stock is20 back on and sell the BT unit. Kinda my plan with all OEM stuff when I go to sell the car in 100k miles or so

No plans to ever sell this 2-door gem lol

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
...I have the TPC20 and I already had the HPFP but it isn't necessary. Stock fuel lines. Dynoed at 416 HP and 428 torque...

What type of dyno did you pull those #'s on? I was set on a Vortex but Ed is telling me the batch of Vortex coming in next week are already all sold and he is still waiting to hear from the factory on when the next shipment will come. I need to email Nick at TPC to get more specs on the Stage 2 TPC20. I assume you have the Stage 3 model?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What type of dyno did you pull those #'s on? I was set on a Vortex but Ed is telling me the batch of Vortex coming in next week are already all sold and he is still waiting to hear from the factory on when the next shipment will come. I need to email Nick at TPC to get more specs on the Stage 2 TPC20. I assume you have the Stage 3 model?

Yes I have the stage 3. My numbers were from a Dyno Dynamics dyno originally. I was retuned on a Mustang dyno with EQT. Glad that I got my TPC20 when I did because it was $1499 then.

Reactions: MSH

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Nick at TPC got back to me today via email. I inquired which of the TPC20 stages was closest to the Vortex standard housing based on the Vortex specs. His comments below. One thing that jumps out is when their stage 3 hits full boost vs the standard Vortex or even the XL. EQT's website shows the standard housing hitting full boost at 3000rpm and the XL housing hitting full boost at 3400rpm. Nick is stating the TPC20 stage 3 isn't hitting full boost until 3600rpm.
At face value it would seem that the Vortex spools quicker and has greater upside on the top end? I'm probably missing something here.

"Yes our Stage 3 has the same 54mm turbine wheel as the EQT.
We are doing a batch as we speak and should be ready to ship next week.
Our Stage 3 hits full boost of 28psi at 3600rpm which to be is perfect in my books.
On E50 and 32psi our customer did 470whp.
We got similar numbers on stock fuel system and race gas."

Navi

Autocross Champion
I'm a 2015 GTI w/ Performance Package and DSG. I'm currently Stage 1+ Unitronic with the following engine upgrades:

so you're a transformer? Not a person?

Navi

Autocross Champion
is38 is probably best for all around GTI. TPC is good if you want to push a little more, but be prepared to pay to play. TPC20 isn't much more than an is38. Almost same power output of an is38 running ethanol. I like it because it moves the power band up and does not die off even close to redline. On paper it SHOULD be more reliable than an is38, but hard to tell. I don't even know how many of these are out in the wild. Being able to run pump gas and be around 400hp is ideal to me. I had plans to go ethanol and even installed an ethanol sensor and gauge but I won't be going that route anytime soon since I can just fill with 93 and be on my way.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
is38 is probably best for all around GTI. TPC is good if you want to push a little more, but be prepared to pay to play. TPC20 isn't much more than an is38. Almost same power output of an is38 running ethanol. I like it because it moves the power band up and does not die off even close to redline. On paper it SHOULD be more reliable than an is38, but hard to tell. I don't even know how many of these are out in the wild. Being able to run pump gas and be around 400hp is ideal to me. I had plans to go ethanol and even installed an ethanol sensor and gauge but I won't be going that route anytime soon since I can just fill with 93 and be on my way.

Thanks. I'm on E40 EQT tune now on stock IS38 on my R and I'm really happy with the power.
You touched on the main two points of why I want to upgrade the stock IS38...
1) reliability/more robust solution of a TPC20 or Vortex vs stock turbo
2) The IS38 dies hard up here in Denver after 5100rpm. It's pretty tragic how bad it is when looking at the dyno session I did last yr.

A lot of things will impact spool. Temp, gearing, cam timing, exhaust volume (i.e. eblend vs pump), housing volume, wheel design, bearing design, material used, yada yada. To get a proper comparison you need to see what it looks like on same car.
Got it. Thanks!

Navi

Autocross Champion
Thanks. I'm on E40 EQT tune now on stock IS38 on my R and I'm really happy with the power.
You touched on the main two points of why I want to upgrade the stock IS38...
1) reliability/more robust solution of a TPC20 or Vortex vs stock turbo
2) The IS38 dies hard up here in Denver after 5100rpm. It's pretty tragic how bad it is when looking at the dyno session I did last yr.

1. not sure how true this is. All hybrid manufactures claim this but they all have failed. There really isnt any thread that has all the TPC owners so we know how many turbos are out there and what issues have popped up.
2. also, you have to be careful with this... I've seen a lot of turbos pop from denver altitude. Would def need a safe tune that protects the turbo from working too hard.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
1. not sure how true this is. All hybrid manufactures claim this but they all have failed. There really isnt any thread that has all the TPC owners so we know how many turbos are out there and what issues have popped up.
2. also, you have to be careful with this... I've seen a lot of turbos pop from denver altitude. Would def need a safe tune that protects the turbo from working too hard.

Understood on point #1. On #2 I worked with Ed on my tune for the IS38 and he is very aware of tuning properly for altitude. I was probably annoyingly concerned about it when I worked on the tune with him. I will have them do the tuning on new turbo whichever direction I go there