Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
Hello fellow Mk7 owners!

Bought my first new car yesterday.

2015 GTI "S"
Carbon Steel Metallic
2DR, 6MT
Performance Package

I am coming from a 2002 Focus SVT with 180k miles on stock clutch. Love that car, but it is getting close to retirement.

Paid MSRP for the GTI. But, OK with it since I thought I would need to order this spec'ed GTI. I heard local dealers have been getting several thousand above MSRP for PP GTIs.

In fact, this was the only 2DR or 4DR, MT, PP GTI in Northern California I could find. Most are SE or Autobahn with DSG.

Only regret was buying the extended warranty... I was spooked into buying it since my friend has a MkVI--loves it, but has had endless issues with it: 2 water pumps and a fuel pump. Wanted the piece of mind since this will be a daily driver and I will quickly go past 60,000 miles.

Will post some photos once I get her cleaned up. Drove home in rain yesterday. What an awesome car! All friends and family whom test drove it wanted one.

Some questions:

What's the correct motor break-in procedure? Drive easy until 1000 miles, then dealer OC?

Are the aggressive engine tunes OK for everyday use? Can stock clutch handle the extra torque? Understand there are risks with mods, but don't want a grenade motor.

The tune I purchased for my SVT Focus produced a modest power increase, but it really improved drive-ability of the engine. It just ran smoother. Hoping for something similar on the GTI tune. Because of the turbo, power and torque can be increased substantially on the GTI. The stock engine tune runs incredibly smooth through the entire rev band. Feel like an electric motor.

How do I disable the electronic stability program? I have not run into it yet, but I know I will and don't want the computer intervening in my control of the vehicle. I may "track day" this car. From what I've seen in test review videos the ESC is really aggressive. I've read threads on here that some that disable it, but I can't find how.

Anything else I should know?

Mods I am considering:
-APR / Eurotune / Local dynotune
- Intake and/or exhaust
- STS (stock shifter pretty good)
- Wheels
- Tighter suspension (probably will be happy with stock)

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
Does your PP come with DCC?

I am not sure...

I suspect it does not. How do I tell?

According to the brochure, the "S" trim does not come with DCC.

I have normal and sport driving modes. I am not sure if it adjusts dampers, or just throttle and steering. If the dapers change, it's very subtle.

wakesavage

What price did they charge you for the PP? I have a PP coming my way, but we're yet to nail down price and they've been a bit sketchy about pricing.

Just got quoted $3030 for LP + PP, and that doesn't really add up to the estimated $900 for LP and $1500 for PP.

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
Thanks twogtis!

wakesavage, will try to find out. I never saw a sticker for the car. May ask the dealer for one.

Sale price was $27,455. PP only option.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks twogtis!

wakesavage, will try to find out. I never saw a sticker for the car. May ask the dealer for one.

What tires does it have. I do not recognize the name on tire in your pics. Also I see you got all season on a PP car. Someone said the PP get summer tires. Guess not always.
Should not have DCC yet, they have not built any yet as mine will not build until mid March.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks twogtis!

What tires does it have. I do not recognize the name on tire in your pics. Also I see you got all season on a PP car. Someone said the PP gets summer tires. Guess not always.
Should not have DCC yet, they have not built any yet as mine will not build until mid March.

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
Sandman GTI,

Tires are Pirelli P7 All season.

Seems these are standard tires for the GTI.

jjm51

Ready to race!
looking good.

enjoy it in good health!

all the right choices too; manual, cloth, and even the extended warranty. i am very happy to have gotten the extended warranty on my mk6. will do the same when i get my mk7.

is that wine country you are in? :D

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
looking good.

enjoy it in good health!

all the right choices too; manual, cloth, and even the extended warranty. i am very happy to have gotten the extended warranty on my mk6. will do the same when i get my mk7.

is that wine country you are in? :D

Thanks John. Good luck with your new car.

Yes, wine country. :)

Glad to hear someone say they don't regret buying the extended warranty.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Nice man, congrats! Your car with those options is what I like to call the "Auto-X special" model, perfect list options to conquer the GS SCCA class :)

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
RjRacing,

Great idea! I need to autocross this car. The eLSD is going to dominate other FWD. You can feel it work. No understeer or binding under power. Not as good as RWD. But best feeling FWD car I have ever driven.

Pushed the car a little harder today. Tremendous poise. Only wish the rear-end was a little more lively. I love that about my Focus. Can induce oversteer and make you forget you're driving a FWD car. Once I sent the car radically sideways almost perpendicular to the road in a downhill left-right. I didn't think it was possible to spin a FWD car!

I like that aspect of thr Focus better, even though it's no where as fast. A stiffer rear sway bar on the GTI might do the trick? I think the GTI suspension is perfect for bumpy roads I drive on. I wouldn't change it. Optiomally damped for tremendous grip.

Took the car a little over the speed limit today...

I had the GF on the phone during the run on a straight quiet stretch of road. Afterward she asked, "Did you roll the windows down"?

"No I just drove fast."