GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI's Value?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yep I got super lucky in that regard. It would've been cool if the whole ordeal never happened, but here I am lol.

Well I'm hoping the chances of it happening again are nearly zero. But seeing all these threads and having my engine blow up on me just has me thinking that it's gonna happen again as soon as a stage 2 clutch comes near it.
But you guys are right. I'm probably wayy overreacting and just using this misfortune to try to justify getting into another car.
AWD and DSG is just so nice and I can only imagine having tuned is38 power with those things.
The math always works out to just drive/fix vs. go into debt to buy a much more expensive new car. I try to do this as if you were paying cash. Do you 1) repair your car for $4K or buy a new/used car for $30-40K? You can fix the GTI a lot for that much money.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
The one commonality I've seen with the thrust bearing failures is aftermarket clutches; which does make sense. It's not proven, but it makes sense; and I think it's passed the point of hypothesis, now. I'm not so sure I'd risk it, given what's been showing up after people started responding to surveys. Sure, most can't be trusted, but the number of people admitting to having stronger clutches is actually surprising. I'd have expected more to lie about it.
This is what scared me. I'm not surprised about people admitting they have an aftermarket clutch on an informal poll; they wouldn't really have an incentive to lie. I do think that the numbers are heavily skewed in these informal polls towards having aftermarket clutches. Someone who browses the mk7 facebook group or forum is much more likely to have modded their car vs. a random sampling of mk7 drivers.
Maybe a milder clutch? Seems you have one with a pressure plate that is pretty strong, unless I'm wrong. There are other clutches that will hold a stg 2 IS20 without being too bad.
I thought about a milder clutch kit. A milder kit cuts it really close to the torque output generated by the is38. I could probably do it, but I might have to go with a lower torque APR file.

The math always works out to just drive/fix vs. go into debt to buy a much more expensive new car. I try to do this as if you were paying cash. Do you 1) repair your car for $4K or buy a new/used car for $30-40K? You can fix the GTI a lot for that much money.
I agree with that but my scenario is a little different. In my case I have to pay the $4k whether I like it or not, because otherwise the GTI will have 0 value. I need to pay $4k to get the GTI back to a $14k value. So it's a question of repair it and keep it, or repair it and sell it plus get a $10k loan to get the R. But you have a point. I could fix the GTI two more times with that $10k if it ever came down to it. I'd just call it quits if it this happened to me again.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This is what scared me. I'm not surprised about people admitting they have an aftermarket clutch on an informal poll; they wouldn't really have an incentive to lie. I do think that the numbers are heavily skewed in these informal polls towards having aftermarket clutches. Someone who browses the mk7 facebook group or forum is much more likely to have modded their car vs. a random sampling of mk7 drivers.

I thought about a milder clutch kit. A milder kit cuts it really close to the torque output generated by the is38. I could probably do it, but I might have to go with a lower torque APR file.

I agree with that but my scenario is a little different. In my case I have to pay the $4k whether I like it or not, because otherwise the GTI will have 0 value. I need to pay $4k to get the GTI back to a $14k value. So it's a question of repair it and keep it, or repair it and sell it plus get a $10k loan to get the R. But you have a point. I could fix the GTI two more times with that $10k if it ever came down to it. I'd just call it quits if it this happened to me again.

I thought you're getting a new IS20 with engine? Why not just do a stg 2 IS20 and appropriate clutch.

Last edited:

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
I thought you are getting a new IS20 with engine? Why not just do a stg 2 IS20 and appropriate clutch.
Because a stage 2 is20 peak torque is surprisingly not far behind the is38 peak torque.
Either way I'm still shopping for the same clutches AND I can take the new is20 and sell it once this is all over. Plus I already paid for the is38 tune.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Stop buying cars.

absolutely this, if your plan is to buy a new house.

Just go back to stock with your perfectly fine car, save about $25-30 grand on whatever you will spend on an R after selling your GTI. ....I also don't think I would ever buy a GTI used at...well, I wanted to give a mile range, but it's hard to say. The general assumption is that it's probably been modded, certainly by 30k-40k miles, and even at 10k, 20k miles or so, there is some other nefarious reason that the owner is selling this car (specific issues).

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Sell the mods and keep the car. It's never a good idea to buy a depreciating asset unless you use entirely disposable income. Your house savings fund doesn't qualify. After you buy your home and see what your expenses and job situation is, then you can decide. You're talking about 2-3 years from now. You don't know what your income or taxes will look like then. Politics will dictate that. In a little over a year you'll know. Just keep in mind that every country with universal health care has a national sales tax. Ask our Canadian and UK members how much VAT they pay.

yep, and on average, they still pay less for cost of healthcare overall than does the ave. american with broken healthcare system! (so your consideration should be that things will probably be slightly cheaper)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Don't put a stage 2 clutch near it, then. Problem solved.

If you're trying to pick up a house but still want to have some fun with the vehicle, there are other ways to make it happen.
Put a stock clutch in at your own expense. They'll already have the engine out so the labor should be negligible.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
yep, and on average, they still pay less for cost of healthcare overall than does the ave. american with broken healthcare system! (so your consideration should be that things will probably be slightly cheaper)

Yeah, he went full retard on that one. Bringing politics into a car thread, then cheering for health care that cost double and has worse outcomes that UK and Canada.

Last edited: