GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Moving to US from Canada with Vehicle

ZijinLi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI Mk7.5
Hi guys,
I currently live in Canada and own a Canadian Mk7.5 GTI (2019).
There is a chance that I might be relocated to US for a couple of years because of work. If that happens, I would really want to bring my car with me. I'm okay with either shipping the car to destination, or just drive all the way there, whichever way that's least hustle.
However, I'm not familiar with the overall procedure. For example, Google says there's some emission document that's required, but it does not say where to get it.
May I ask if anyone had experience on this and can inform me what are the steps? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Some info if it affect anything:
Car: 2019 Canadian Mk7.5 GTI Base DSG (Modded with APR full turbo back, and a bunch of other mods which not likely to affect anything?)
Currently location: Toronto, Ontario
Destination: Austin, Texas
Relocation period: 2 - 5 years

Last edited:

cb1111

It depends. Is your company in Canada and/or will you retain a residence in Canada? In that case, you may not need to do anything and just drive it with your Canadian plates. You may have to pay more for insurance.

As an alternative, you can do a temporary import to the US (not to exceed 1 year - unless you are a diplomat in which case there is no time limit). At the end of the year, the car needs to be exported or scrapped.

The third alternative is to do a permanent import to the US. That requires more paperwork and will cost money. You'll have to re-export it when you leave or sell it.

PM me if you want the regs on two and three. Lots of Canadian tags in Florida (snowbirds) - not sure about Texas.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
My wife imported her corolla when she moved here from Canada. Apparently the way you are suppose dot do it is at the border when you come acrossed. Basically they just do a visible inspection and you pay the import fees. I think we also needed a letter from Toyota stating that the Canadian corolla meets all US specs, so i'm guessing the same for you. If you do not plan on living here long you may not have to import it at all.

What we actually did was do the import process in our home city, they bitched at us for 5 minutes telling us it was suppose dot be done at the border, then certified us as good to go.

One last thing, wife is form Quebec, apparently they don't have titles up there just bill of sale. Bring that, at the border im sure they already know that, in my city they also hated that.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
You're relocating for a few WEEKS and want to go through all that bullshit?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Are you coming to Austin? And you're just coming for a set period? Take classes at UT and never title your car down here. You'll be fine. There are so many out of state and CA/MX cars running around this town that there's no way you'd have any trouble. Plus Texas isn't aggressive with making you title your car here anyway, I kept my California plates for over a year when I moved here.

cb1111

2slowvw and I gave you the legal ways of doing it. If you are going to import the car, then there is lots of paperwork - like 2swow said - you'll need a letter from the manufacturer (not the dealer) that your car meets all of the US requirements (with the exception of the speedometer).

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Importing a Canadian-market vehicle is basically just a visual inspection and a letter from VW Canada and/or a printout from the dealership that says there are no outstanding safety recalls. If the state in which you plan to register it requires a safety inspection, it must pass the inspection in that state.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Importing a Canadian-market vehicle is basically just a visual inspection and a letter from VW Canada and/or a printout from the dealership that says there are no outstanding safety recalls. If the state in which you plan to register it requires a safety inspection, it must pass the inspection in that state.

*if the car was originally built for the Canadian market.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

ZijinLi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI Mk7.5
It depends. Is your company in Canada and/or will you retain a residence in Canada? In that case, you may not need to do anything and just drive it with your Canadian plates. You may have to pay more for insurance.

As an alternative, you can do a temporary import to the US (not to exceed 1 year - unless you are a diplomat in which case there is no time limit). At the end of the year, the car needs to be exported or scrapped.

The third alternative is to do a permanent import to the US. That requires more paperwork and will cost money. You'll have to re-export it when you leave or sell it.

PM me if you want the regs on two and three. Lots of Canadian tags in Florida (snowbirds) - not sure about Texas.
Thanks a lot,
My relocation period will be 2 to 5 years, so probably option 3.
Do you know roughly how much the duty would be?
I read somewhere that if the vehicle is manufactured in Canada, US or Mexico then no duty fee is required? (My car is proudly made in Mexico lol)
Also my car is modded with APR downpipe (catted), would that affect anything?

Last edited:

ZijinLi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI Mk7.5
My wife imported her corolla when she moved here from Canada. Apparently the way you are suppose dot do it is at the border when you come acrossed. Basically they just do a visible inspection and you pay the import fees. I think we also needed a letter from Toyota stating that the Canadian corolla meets all US specs, so i'm guessing the same for you. If you do not plan on living here long you may not have to import it at all.

What we actually did was do the import process in our home city, they bitched at us for 5 minutes telling us it was suppose dot be done at the border, then certified us as good to go.

One last thing, wife is form Quebec, apparently they don't have titles up there just bill of sale. Bring that, at the border im sure they already know that, in my city they also hated that.
May I ask how much was the duty?

ZijinLi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI Mk7.5
Thanks for the info.
My car is modded, including the APR catted downpipe. Would that affect anything?