GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Moving to US from Canada with Vehicle

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yep, the part of Texas that tries to pretend it’s different than Texas only to prove that it’s, well, Texas. 😂
Having lived in a number of Texas cities, this doesn't ring true. Austin feels more like Texas than Dallas, even though both are about the same percentage blue. If any city in Texas pretends it's not part of Texas, I'd say San Antonio is the outlier, more than El Paso or certainly Austin.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Buying a car in NJ when I live in PA was an annoying enough process. Can't even imagine bringing one to another country..

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Do Canadian cars have the manual light leveling? Don't you have to pay to have that removed and the speedo changed to MPH too, or do Canucks still have both mph and kph on the speedo since you're sorta half British anyway?

ZijinLi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI Mk7.5
If in Austin, yes, absolutely.
This means Austin has emission test?:eek:
Does US not allow car light to have manual leveling??
For speedo, I think the digital speed display can be changed to MPH but the analog one does not have MPH (I know some Canadian cars show both KPH and MPH in the analog speedo but apparently not our cars).
Man these are so much trouble to go through...

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
For speedo, I think the digital speed display can be changed to MPH but the analog one does not have MPH (I know some Canadian cars show both KPH and MPH in the analog speedo but apparently not our cars).
Yes, major cities in Texas require emissions testing. If you live in a nearby county though, they frequently do not, so depending on how much commute you want, you can avoid it.
No, we are Americans and get our drivers licenses in a box of Cracker Jacks and we can not be trusted with light leveling under any circumstances. Nevermind that every old lady drives around with their brights on full time.
Yes, if you have the digital dash, this isn't an issue, but if you have the analog gauges, I'd suspect the "fix" is a whole newt cluster and getting to pay for installation and odometer resetting (converted to miles too.)

Good news, if you have a clear title, the used car market is silly right now, I just got a random dealer offering me $20.5k for my 18 SE, which is about $2k/yr of usage cost for me, if only there were something else I wanted, I'd take that offer in a second.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion

Yes, major cities in Texas require emissions testing. If you live in a nearby county though, they frequently do not, so depending on how much commute you want, you can avoid it.
No, we are Americans and get our drivers licenses in a box of Cracker Jacks and we can not be trusted with light leveling under any circumstances. Nevermind that every old lady drives around with their brights on full time.
Yes, if you have the digital dash, this isn't an issue, but if you have the analog gauges, I'd suspect the "fix" is a whole newt cluster and getting to pay for installation and odometer resetting (converted to miles too.)

Good news, if you have a clear title, the used car market is silly right now, I just got a random dealer offering me $20.5k for my 18 SE, which is about $2k/yr of usage cost for me, if only there were something else I wanted, I'd take that offer in a second.
My 08 Speed 3 had manual light leveling with xenons.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Hmm, that's right. Some STI's did too. I just recall that when we moved some folks from Germany, that was expense our company had to cover on the conversions.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

This is metaphorically incorrect.

Opening a crackerjack box is far more difficult than getting a driver’s license in the US.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
This is metaphorically incorrect.

Opening a crackerjack box is far more difficult than getting a driver’s license in the US.
My mom has never actually had a driver's test. When she was 16, they had a group test and during it, the officer doing the tests got called out on a call and just said 'you all did fine, you passed.' Since then, she's moved to states that allow reciprocity. She is absolutely the worst driver I've ever dealt with. If I fly in to see her and forget to drive away from the airport, I'll have her pull over as soon as I realize my error and we'll change seats. She treats both pedals like digital inputs, they're either all the way closed or all the way open. Add in a hangover and it's unbearable.

cb1111

Importing a Canadian-market vehicle is basically just a visual inspection and a letter from VW Canada and/or a printout from the dealership that says there are no outstanding safety recalls. If the state in which you plan to register it requires a safety inspection, it must pass the inspection in that state.
Close, but no cigar. you must comply with ALL of the below

vig_canada09122017.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

Form HS-7 (nhtsa.gov)

Importing Canadian Vehicles | Importing Vehicles and Engines into the United States | US EPA

United States Environmental Protection Agency Declaration Form: Importation of Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle Engines Subject to Federal Air Pollution Regulations (EPA Form 3520-1, June 30, 2023)

Importing a Motor Vehicle | U.S. Customs and Border Protection (cbp.gov)

From the CBP site:

• Motorists visiting the United States as tourists from countries that have ratified the Convention on International Road Traffic of 1949 may drive in the U.S. for one year with their own national license plates (registration tags) on their own national license plates (registration tags) on their cars and with their own personal drivers' licenses.
  • Motorists from Canada and Mexico are permitted to tour in the U.S. without U.S. license plates or U.S. driver's permits, under agreements between the United States and these countries.
Me? I'd drive the car here for a year, figure out what you want to do, then go back to Canada and then import the car.