GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Most annoying thing about your GTI

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
The paint chips super easy it's common p much on all cars these days. Gotta make more money for the shareholders ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Correct that paint chips are more common on all cars these days, but the formula for the paint has changed because of changes in EPA regulation to require waterborne paints to reduce VOCs.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfWang
The paint chips super easy it's common p much on all cars these days. Gotta make more money for the shareholders ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Correct that paint chips are more common on all cars these days, but the formula for the paint has changed because of changes in EPA regulation to require waterborne paints to reduce VOCs.

Ahh, makes sense. I barely had any paint chips on my 12 year old Mk4 with over 163k miles on it, but less than 1000 miles in, 3 on the mk7, grrrr. Now gotta figure out how best to fix it...

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
i'd never rely on a mirror, let alone a warning light to let me know if its safe. Always physically turn your head and look. Mirrors and lights are just there to assist.

I actually don't need the the blind spot assist as I have my mirrors set "properly". But thought I would try it out for awhile and see if it helps or hinders. And my verdict so far is hinders big time. Will be turning that shite off soon.

I'm the opposite of you and I only rely on my mirrors and peripheral vision. Never have to physically turn my head and take my attention from the road ahead (which at highway speeds can mean you can travel a football fields distance while looking away to check your blind spot!). Just a slight sideways glance at my side mirrors when set "properly" and I know whether I'm clear or not. I can make lightning fast lane change decisions as I don't have to crank my head around to know for sure whether there is anyone in my blind spot and I don't have to take my attention away from what's in front of me ever in order to do lane change.

The only issue I had initially was because I was coming from a 2dr GTI, the B pillar on the 4 dr being much closer to the front now blocks part of my peripheral vision. I've fixed that by adjusting my side mirror out a little more.

Here is a link to an illustration of "proper" mirror positioning for those that don't know what I'm talking about.

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~gdguo/driving/BlindSpot.htm

vdub10golf

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2010 Mk6 Golf
Lately what's bugging me is the random sharp plastic peeling up/bubbling and stabbing/slicing my fingers open. (On the push button start and on the gearshifter)

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Lately what's bugging me is the random sharp plastic peeling up/bubbling and stabbing/slicing my fingers open. (On the push button start and on the gearshifter)

Seems others are having this issue also. Takes about a year to happen, right? Have you brought it in for warranty yet?

aunsafe2015

Ready to race!
- and the blind spot assist light in the same colour as the turn signal is stupid. I signal to make a lane change and instinctually think there's someone in my blind spot. Without physically turning my head to stare at the side mirror for a second, I'm never sure if someone is actually in my blind spot or it's a "false alert" from the signal light - making blind spot assist practically useless for me...

Cover the turn signal light with black electrical tape. Problem solved.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

ajcadoo

The clunkiness of the DSG at low speed (<15MPH) is beyond annoying. The lurching and rattling noises are so painful to experience. I feel like I am demolishing the transmission.

ReflexGTI1

Ready to race!
The clunkiness of the DSG at low speed (<15MPH) is beyond annoying. The lurching and rattling noises are so painful to experience. I feel like I am demolishing the transmission.

This is a bit annoying, but the first gearbox like this I ever drove was a 2007 F430 with the F1 gearbox. In race mode it literally felt like someone was taking a sledge hammer to the gear box when downshifting at low speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lobster

Ready to race!
Personally, I love the "clunkiness" of the DSG at low speeds, maybe it's the racecarsyndrome.

Ditto on Ferrari F1 box... A friend of mine recently picked up a low mileage 2006 Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa for like $18k... In comparison, the DSG is very tame.

Personal preference, I guess.

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
Personally, I love the "clunkiness" of the DSG at low speeds, maybe it's the racecarsyndrome.

Ditto on Ferrari F1 box... A friend of mine recently picked up a low mileage 2006 Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa for like $18k... In comparison, the DSG is very tame.

Personal preference, I guess.

Damn, thats some serious depreciation.

takemorepills

Ready to race!

Something to consider: the DSG is just an automated manual transmission. If you've ever driven a MT before, you know this will also happen to any MT car that is in 1st gear at low speeds. And crawling around at low speeds in a MT car is a chore...slipping clutch in and out, constant gear changes between 1 and 2, pretty freaking annoying.
Keeping that in mind, what a DSG is trying to do, I have a ton of respect for how it functions.
I dunno if something is wrong with your car or if it is a driver expectations issue. I could probably make my DSG herky jerky at low speeds, but I feather the gas just the same as a MT, and it drives perfectly at low speed.
Hope I am not jinxing myself!

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
always go back into D mode at low speeds. Problem solved!